Latest Ukraine war fashion for your T72/T90

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Latest Ukraine war fashion for your T72/T90

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Please don't forget.
As a forum, we are trying to be neutral with any current politics, this is a modelling forum, which doubles as an escape from the real world.
Please keep it so.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I saw a picture of a 72 with not a single ERA block in it !
It looked very strange.
Even in the short duration of this conflict, the variation of vehicles is amazing.
Now all we need is HL to ramp up production of the T90 and T72 models !!
I can’t get one here at all of either.
The green colour that is the standard across all these vehicles also varies in shade a lot, some of them look quite UV affected and faded while others look dark green & in fairly good condition.
Sure does open up a range of options for us to replicate .

Damn, just when I was getting the hang of 4BO :/
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

HERMAN BIX wrote:I saw a picture of a 72 with not a single ERA block in it !
It looked very strange.
Even in the short duration of this conflict, the variation of vehicles is amazing.
Absolutely. I am surprised by the lack of standardization. Most types of vehicle since the 1960s seem to be still in operation. And as you said, the number of variants for each is amazing. They seem to have a specialized vehicle for every possible mission that someone can imagine. Maintenance must be difficult.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Maintenence is almost non existent in Russian army. The theft of lubricants and fuel is very common. The stocks of units are only on paper and the commanders spent the money for modernization on yachts and expensive cars.

EDIT: another one bites the dust:
Attachments
FNeVWWLXsAMcpzg.jpg
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Looking at that one, the cage seems to be knocked out at the rear, so whatever got it was smarter than the means used to prevent it !
On a model, the cages would look really good.
Be a bugger to make, but on a '72 or '90 RC model would be really cool.
I notice no signs of any white wash at this stage............
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tankme

Post by tankme »

What would concern me is that if they set my tank on fire with all of that ERA, whether or not ERA blocks would start on fire and burn intensely? Stuff like C4 can be lit on fire and used like sterno as in it burns really slowly. I've heard stories of soldiers using C4 to heat things. Just curious if Soviet ERA blocks could start on fire.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Snowwolflair
Private

Post by Snowwolflair »

Cardboard burns
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

New type of protection: anti-Javelin bird nest.
Attachments
FNhZKhFXoAMbrGq.jpg
FNhZKhFXoAMbrGq.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

tankme wrote:What would concern me is that if they set my tank on fire with all of that ERA, whether or not ERA blocks would start on fire and burn intensely? Stuff like C4 can be lit on fire and used like sterno as in it burns really slowly. I've heard stories of soldiers using C4 to heat things. Just curious if Soviet ERA blocks could start on fire.
The Isreali's first used it in the early 1980's and the US Marine Corps had it all over their M60's during Desert Storm, I've never heard of either service complain of ERA 'cooking off'. The idea is that it explodes violently outward to counter the incoming warhead blast - by definition the directed nature of the explosion should leave little if any force directed sideways into the surrounding ERA panels to cause them to detonate like fire crackers, and if you were to douse the whole tank in enough napalm to set the surface alight and cook the explosives, I think the crew has got bigger problems to worry about :S In any event if the ERA did cook off, then it simply does its jopb and explodes outwards away from the tank - not a problem unless you are standing around rubber necking at the mess...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Good grief, could you imagine trying to replicate that bird-nest on a model :O
Tank looks in good nik all over....................for now :shifty:
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “General Discussion”