[ICE]monkeys tiger II

30+
Private

Hanging gun barrel

Post by 30+ »

Your gun barrel isn't hanging like mine is, although I have installed all the components according to the instruction manual (double checked everything and then checked again!), including gun traverse unit and the spring. I can raise the gun barrel with my finger to about a horisontal position, but then it wants to drop again.

How did you solve this problem? I assume it's a problem, that will solve itself when I've bought the rc reciever and rc remote controll?

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo, it's one of the failed pics, that I didn't want to use otherwise.

Cheers, Jens
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Re: [ICE]monkeys tiger II

Post by [ICE]monkey »

sorry but i cant remember if it hung or not , didnt have it long before i stripped it, it could be that the elevations wound down
wly22
Recruit

Post by wly22 »

Hi ICE,nice job! :clap:
Pcomm1
Corporal

Re: Hanging gun barrel

Post by Pcomm1 »

30+ wrote:Your gun barrel isn't hanging like mine is, although I have installed all the components according to the instruction manual (double checked everything and then checked again!), including gun traverse unit and the spring. I can raise the gun barrel with my finger to about a horisontal position, but then it wants to drop again.

How did you solve this problem? I assume it's a problem, that will solve itself when I've bought the rc reciever and rc remote controll?

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo, it's one of the failed pics, that I didn't want to use otherwise.

Cheers, Jens
All the WWII tank Tamiya turret rotation units and the main gun elevation units are well understood weak links and seldom work well without some tweaking. If you inspect both units you will see each uses the same black "clutch gear". Remove that gear and glue it sold with CA glue and then put the parts back in place in exact reverse order. The elevation unit uses a plastic arm, which will break after a little wear and tear. Replace it with a metal arm. I like ETO, but Axels and Impact also sell similar parts. Perhaps these build photos will help. These are the fixes I use to get these parts to work correctly. I used a Tamiya solid blue gear in one photo, not available in the UK, but gluing the black clutch gear solid offers the same result.
Attachments
1 recoil assem.jpg
1 recoil assem.jpg (143.24 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (27.24 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
Last edited by Pcomm1 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pcomm1
Corporal

Post by Pcomm1 »

Forgot...if your going to run your King Tiger very much consider replacing the Tamiya idler setup with after market parts from the usual sources. The kit parts don't work very well. And here are images of my Tamiya Ardennes KT and a static Tamiya Porsche Turret KT. The Porsche Turret KT was later converted to semi-full option (no recoil).
Attachments
b220.jpg
b220.jpg (13.31 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
a1b7.jpg
a1b7.jpg (13.7 KiB) Viewed 1845 times

Return to “King Tiger”