3D Printed Comet from 3dprintedtanks

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Styx 2022
Private

Re: 3D Printed Comet from 3dprintedtanks

Post by Styx 2022 »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I have been checking in on your Comet now and then. I am impressed by how clean the castings are--seemingly free of any of the striations I have seen on other castings. In fact, given that you even used a specific color suggests to me that you might be intending for the castings to be unpainted. Could that be so?

Can any of you 3D printing wizards watching this thread recommend a simple primer from which I might learn about the types of casting plastics and 3D printers? (Actually "simple primer" is redundant wording, for emphasis :S .)
Thank you for taking an interest in my project. As with any 3D printer, accurate set up and calibration is vital to the success of the prints. All 3D prints have striations, there visibility depends a number of factors including the size of the print nozzle and the layer height. In my case I am using a 0.4mm nozzle and each layer is 0.2mm high.
There are available numerous materials that can now be used on a home printer. The most common, and what I am using for most of this project, is PLA (Polylactic Acid). The tracks are printed in ABS, Lego brick material, and the tyres will be printed in TPU which has a rubbery property. Other materials available include Nylon, Pteg, PLA+, Light Weight PLA, and so on. A Google search will provide you with a vast array of materials.
To answer your comment on the colour of the tank, Originally I intended to leave it in the gray colour but now I am going to paint and weather it. I have never done this before so any hints and tips on this would be appreciated.
Finally, if you are thinking about getting a printer the the Ender series (other printers are available) of printers are a good starting point because there is a lot of support out there if you run into difficulties.
Styx 2022
Private

Post by Styx 2022 »

A friend of mine kindly printed out the rear sprockets and hubs on his Markforged Mk2 printer. This is a high end desk top printer. The material used is called Onyx which is a carbon fibre loaded nylon. The parts are light and very strong.
The 3 parts were glued together with thick CA and a piece of track was used to keep everything in line.
18.jpg
18.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
Last edited by Styx 2022 on Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Styx 2022
Private

Post by Styx 2022 »

Fenders and the rear of the hull done. Onto the top cover.
019.jpg
019.jpg (66.66 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
[attachment=1]
Attachments
020.jpg
020.jpg (71.03 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Styx 2022
Private

Post by Styx 2022 »

There are 12 handles and 4 light guards made from the filament. There are 2 formers that are printed and then used to form heated filament around them. I drilled a 2mm hole in the former to act as an anchor while the warmed filament was pulled around the former.
Attachments
021.jpg
021.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thank you for the interesting information on 3D printing. I have seen others recommend the Ender printers.
I approve of you wanting to paint the model. Have you any experience painting models--not necessarily 3D printed, but any plastic models?
Styx 2022
Private

Post by Styx 2022 »

Herr Dr. Professor

About 40 years ago I used to make plastic kits. The painting on them was always dubious! I thought I had done a good job if I didn't get a fingerprint on the paint!
Painting has come along way since then so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a Badger 155 airbrush which up to now I have only used to spray water onto my tissue covered model aircraft.
I am thinking about doing a base coat using Vallejo UK Bronze Green surface primer. Any thoughts on this?
Styx 2022
Private

Post by Styx 2022 »

That's the hull done, now onto the wheels. The tyres will be printed in TPU which has a rubbery property. I am still waiting for this to arrive through the post. I have never printed this before so another new experience awaits.
Attachments
023.jpg
023.jpg (59.58 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
024.jpg
024.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
022.jpg
022.jpg (66.17 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

TPU is quite easy to use, you don't need to heat the bed to get it to stick (in fact its best if you don't, otherwise it sticks a little too well!) Slow print speeds are a must tho, and a direct drive extruder is preferable.
Styx 2022
Private

Post by Styx 2022 »

Tiger6
Thanks for the tips. I have a direct extruder. The filament should arrive Monday so I will let you know how I get on with it.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Now that my house guests have all departed I might be able to get back to using my 3D printer. I also have some TPU, but haven't printed with it yet. You Comet prints are really nice though.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “3D Printing”