PHF 1/16 Jagdsturmtiger

ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: PHF 1/16 Jagdsturmtiger

Post by ronnie42 »

Great mg ball unit, far better than HL or Taigen . Why did they use a much larger ball.
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

I agree with Ronnie, the revised kugelblende looks much better that the usual trapezoidal shape usually seen on the Sturmtiger. Terrific work.

You never know what you'll find perusing the pictures posted by PatrickH. Ostensibly, here we're looking at parts for the rear deck of his Jagdsturmtiger build, but if you look carefully, you'll spy what appears to be Die umklappbare Schutzhaube fur den Teleskopschact (armored pot for the telescopic schnorkel) fitted to a few early Porsche-turret King Tigers. We're all ears and eyes, PatrickH?
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

Thanks Ronnie and I have to say,I never really thought about it, I just sized the ball based on the housing and what looks right but yes, I'm still pleased that it turned out well.

S.Panzer: Thanks and yes I wasn't a big fan of the asiatam's offering - it just looked so basic and needed revising. A good eye you have there I must say and you will be right, it is a snorkling equiptment for the KT Porsche that was shortly discontinued right after its introduction, a feature that peaked my interest and sadly I am a sucker for interesting features, a trait that often sidetracks me to other directions. What you saw in the deck of my JST was actually the first iteration - I have since made amendments to it to bring it more in line with my references. I have also decided to include the snorkling bit seeing as the housing is moveable. So i can either print the housing in a closed setting or print them in parts =)
render alongside my references
render alongside my references
3d renders
3d renders
I was also made aware of a possible alternative to using IPA to clean my prints, 'Elbow Grease' from B&M for only 0.89p per bottle so i quickly went out yesterday to get one to test.
I still used gloves to handle the cleaning process of course - oh and def eye protection - I was being foolish before, only gloves and mask and I thought thaht would be enough and then one day as i was peeling off the prints from the build plate - the part fell from the plate and into the IPA causing it to splash and into my eye - panic!!! quickly washed my eye and it was fine - thank goodness! - anyway def eye protection!!!
elbow grease from B&M
elbow grease from B&M
DSC_1080.JPG (93.02 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
So i tested the elbow grease and it wasn't really dissolving the resin but when i scrubbed it, it came off easily. It does need good scrubbing to make sure all resins are dispersed from the part and a good wash in warm water afterwards.
shiny JST periscopes
shiny JST periscopes
IMG_20200208_052921 (1).jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
So it works but on the downside one has to really scrub the piece and it has made the parts rather shiny - so uhm, yeah not sure - for other prints and projects it might be fine but I think I shall go back to IPA for ease of use and also, it doesn't make my prints shiny heh
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I'm also using chitubox and so far I've only tried the resin that came with the printer. Let me screw up my courage to have another crack at this thing and I'll order some more resin. I still have the new kilo of flexible resin in case I ever get a successful tire print in plastic, but I need to order more plastic resin. The D8 isn't really my first resin printer, but I had no success with the creality and ended up sending it back. The printer worked fine but the software didn't. It wouldn't even accept the test files they include after going through the slicing software, which of course is proprietary.

Any recommendations on resin? Once I get that I'll PM and see if you can help, and I'll do my best not to be a pest. Oh yeah, I do have a tech guy at wanhao named Manolo that I can contact if we need him. The guy that helps me get a successful tire print will be my Hero for at least 20 minutes, too. @) @) :haha: :haha:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Almost forgot. I also have a creality cr-10 fdm printer that I've had for a couple years. It's running right now, printing mounted Jerry cans for the truck/trailer project.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

Max: APologies for the delay in response - the JST is keeping me pretty busy these days.
I haven't even opened the resin that came with my Photon, Anycubic green, when i purchased the printer I think i got the Elegoo grey straight away from amazon and that arrived well before the printer it self.

But flexible resin - i must try that one - which brand would you recommend for the flex? SO far i have used the Elegoo ABS like resin and anycubic grey/skin normal resin. I lke both but the ABSlike can be a bit sticky and will spoil a smooth surface - not sure what affects it - hot water?! dirty IPA!? not sure but it's less brittle than the normal resin one so I use it for certain parts, ie easily breakable pieces.

I also have the Tevo Tornado which i believe is the same as the CR10, mine is sitting unused at the moment as mostly I'm using the Photon - the vat on the Photon is empty and just awaiting to try the new water washable resin i recently got - i just don't have any pieces to print at the moment heh. I haven't actually dialled my Tevo, it prints fine, I'm happy with the outcome - it can do better I'm sure but I haven't the time nor knowledge to fully dial it in heh.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Have you thought about using the water washable resins? I just acquired a Anycubic Photon S myself (Also started with FDM, Flashforge Dreamer).
I also plan on buying a few different resins to find one that I really like (and to test settings with).

Very nice job BTW...
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

Hi Jarlath, I actually did purchase a water washable resin from Elegoo in skin colour of course ;) but I am yet to try it out. I have ran out of thing to print for now, if you can believe that lol I will post results as soon as I'm able to. You'll love the photon, any resin printers for that matter - it is so much better than an FDM and from my experience, I don't really have that much problems with prints sticking to the plate - I get like a 90% success rate compared to my Tevo. I just love my Photon.

Now a quick update, my Heng Long deck order finally arrived much to my excitement but unfortunately, the Hachette deck guide is still a little bit too wide for it much to my frustration - admittedly the HL hull is a little bit wider than the Taigen hull but sadly not enough. I had thought of making my own deck guide for the Hachette pieces but the guide is the exact same width as the parts themselves so that wouldn't solve anything. So i brought out my Ludwig deck kit offering but those are much smaller in scale and the detail is not as good. I'll do a pic comparison later. As I've already cut out a large portion from the Taigen hull, the LUdwig kit will require a lot of work to make fit. I could use the HL hull but that would be a bit of a waste. Besides, I really want to use the Hachette deck as they are brilliantly made. So i went back to staring at the Taigen hull for a wee bit of time in hopes of getting a light bulb moment. In the end, I decided to cut a chunk out of the sides, about 6mm to accomodate the Hachette guide and pieces. But first i needed to cut out the tabs from the bottom of the Hachette guide in order for it to rest flat on the Taigen hull
Hachette deck Guide
Hachette deck Guide
6mm cut to the sides
6mm cut to the sides
Afterwards I cut out the top deck to accomodate the Hachette guide
making the cut
making the cut
Now this seems like an easy solution but one I couldn't see before as I guess I didn't want to cut the sides for fear of making it look out of scale but I think it will be okay!? I have some gaps to fill with styrene and plaster of course but the sides are the main issue - i just hope I've given myself enough clearance
final look
final look
DSC_1112the.jpg
DSC_1113.JPG
DSC_1113.JPG (22.78 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
I love that i can open all the grills and the action is so smooth - these Hachette pieces are really excellent. Now next task is to make good the sides and upper deck and we shall see if I'm going to be happy with it.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Hell of a hack job mate !
I have a full collection of the Hachette Tiger editions all unopened, and Im not about to try a stunt like yours , but there are a few odd part sets around at times that I might be able to get hold of for parts as you have.
Sure is a quirky build :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

As Mr. Bix says so eloquently, "Sure is a quirky build." My emogees don't work, but just imagine a winking smiley face here. But, I will say, you've got more courage than the average bear, and a much steadier hand to boot. Seems to me you've arrived at the best solution under the unusual circumstances you've been faced with. The Sturmtiger is a boxy beast to begin with. As long as the rear edge of the deck sits in front of and not on top of the back plate, I see no problem of "scale." Terrific work.

Return to “Tiger I”