Another electric question - Headlights

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Another electric question - Headlights

Post by ALPHA »

jackalope wrote:IDK man the LED's I always worked with were rated at 1 volt or even less, so where our tanks may only have 7.2 volts thats more then enough to cook an LED.
PainlessWolf wrote:Good Afternoon,
Aye, that's how I ruined the first LED in the spot on 'Maxene' and it was one of those tiny SMD types. I had to replace it with a standard 1.5 which was a good deal larger and required redoing the mount. At least I learned where the good hotspots to use were at on the board.
regards,
Painless
Image..................... :D

Got Shermans????.....Got Sherman thread :haha:

ALPHA
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

Actually Alpha when i so foolishly hooked up some wires, from a spare tank battery to that light-(its still glued onto the hull)-i did see a flash from the light alright. After that nothing. I don't even care so much about the light working as much as I dont want to mangle the tank hull-i just got it exactly how i want it to look 8O
The most important thing is, get the light to work with the minimum damage to the hull...i don't care how i hook it up as long as criteria 1, also, last time i messed with headlight wirings i burned up a $45 receiver, killed it dead. Dont wanna do that either. I had the same problem with my Panzer III headlights and MichaelC very kindly sent me part after part along with much expert advice, until i just completely rewired the entire female hull harness and bypassed the old one. That time I tested each and every one of the 8 wires for continuity and labelled them because those chinese have THE SAME COLOR WIRES on several of the circuits!!!! THAT's how i burned up a receiver before i carefully labelled each wired....Does not look neat inside the hull but after all that, I just don't care, the tank is now 100% functional and I'm not opening that can of worms again.

Same goes for the KT headlight, i would be willing to just bypass the original wires, hook the headlight up to the smoker socket in the Rx, since I never use it anyway. And if the headlight comes on and doesn't burn out, I would be very happy with that! I have medical issues and I can only do this type of intricate work for about half an hour before I have to stop and rest.

I want to again thank everyone on this great forum for coming to help me with my crazy electrical problems. I am glad I asked for more info before I got my replacement headlights and burned them up too. Should have asked before i fooled with the headlight to begin with, would have saved some more money!!! :sick:
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Marc if you're gonna hook up the headlight I send you to a different plug in the board you may want to wire a resister in series with the positive lead so you don't kill this one as well. If you have a hard time doing wiring I could make this for you if you want. I just need to know if you DEFF want it to be hooked into the smoker plug. I have spare plugs and I have your headlamp all I'd do is go to Radio Shack and get a few resisters and possibly a new LED just to be sure and make sure it all works.

I'd only charge you for the parts needed to make it. Let me know and I'll pick up the stuff tomorrow and build it, test it and hopefully have it ready to ship by Monday.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Marc780 wrote:Actually Alpha when i so foolishly hooked up some wires, from a spare tank battery to that light-(its still glued onto the hull)-i did see a flash from the light alright. After that nothing. I don't even care so much about the light working as much as I dont want to mangle the tank hull-i just got it exactly how i want it to look 8O
The most important thing is, get the light to work with the minimum damage to the hull...i don't care how i hook it up as long as criteria 1, also, last time i messed with headlight wirings i burned up a $45 receiver, killed it dead. Dont wanna do that either. I had the same problem with my Panzer III headlights and MichaelC very kindly sent me part after part along with much expert advice, until i just completely rewired the entire female hull harness and bypassed the old one. That time I tested each and every one of the 8 wires for continuity and labelled them because those chinese have THE SAME COLOR WIRES on several of the circuits!!!! THAT's how i burned up a receiver before i carefully labelled each wired....Does not look neat inside the hull but after all that, I just don't care, the tank is now 100% functional and I'm not opening that can of worms again.

Same goes for the KT headlight, i would be willing to just bypass the original wires, hook the headlight up to the smoker socket in the Rx, since I never use it anyway. And if the headlight comes on and doesn't burn out, I would be very happy with that! I have medical issues and I can only do this type of intricate work for about half an hour before I have to stop and rest.

I want to again thank everyone on this great forum for coming to help me with my crazy electrical problems. I am glad I asked for more info before I got my replacement headlights and burned them up too. Should have asked before i fooled with the headlight to begin with, would have saved some more money!!! :sick:
Well we all go through the learning process with these tanks...Unfortunately ...Electric current runs fast ...I shorted one of my mother boards when the antenna lead crossed the crystal terminals...the tank jumped like a rabbit...then just died lol...interestingly enough I didn't freak out....it was actually funny that I made the mistake of not hooking the wires together and putting the upper hull down on the lower to test it....after laughing a little ...it was a mad rush to find another board that was good...lucky at the time I had two spare :D

So things Happen they always will no matter how many precautions we take... just have to have a little sense of humor about it when it does :thumbup:

Got a Sherman? ............. Get one :haha: ...that way you can put it on the Sherman thread ;)

ALPHA

Return to “General Questions”