heng long/taigen tiger build

spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Re: heng long/taigen tiger build

Post by spongehoobtank82 »

braced the top hull tonight by epoxying some aluminium L shaped strips in, its made the top hull considerably stiffer and my top/bottom hull fitment issues are nearly gone!
hull bracing.jpg
had to remove the plastic bracing and un used mounting posts with a sanding wheel, also smoothed flat any underside protrusions from the tool mounting holes etc.
just going to duct tape the cables to the top hull now to keep them out the way, may and a smaller flat brace to the glasis and bow plate at a later date but am happy with it for now!
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Didn't realize how much more stress that metal turret puts on the hull...Thanks for posting the tips Sponge :thumbup:

ALPHA
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Fitted a TPA tonight so can now use 2 speakers at 6w each, although its becoming a wiring jungle in there now can set levels of engine/sound effects separately and It sounds sweet! Also fitted gearbox shield using some plasticard a I thermoformed, put some finish line wet lube on gears running alot smoother and quieter now! Also shield stops lube going everywhere!
030029e6.jpg
030029e6.jpg (72.3 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
TPA close up, its in there somewhere!
030029e5.jpg
030029e5.jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
Plan on future speaker upgraded (taigen improved at min)
Any suggestions what will fit? As am gonna need 2!
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

:haha: :haha: Isn't electrical work fun? :haha: :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Its fun when it works! Unless you end up wiring it up, rewiring, then realising you were right first time! Just wish it was a tidier setup like everyone else! And no room for a smoker now unless I reposition the second speaker on the upper hull superstructure, may do in future!
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

spongehoobtank82 wrote:Its fun when it works! Unless you end up wiring it up, rewiring, then realising you were right first time! Just wish it was a tidier setup like everyone else! And no room for a smoker now unless I reposition the second speaker on the upper hull superstructure, may do in future!
I said that with a little sarcasm Sponge :haha: :haha: :haha: ....to me the electricals...because they are so tiny and sensitive is probably the worst part of any build for me :lolno: ......I'm still sorting things on my L70 build... even though I went to the HL 2.4 rig....(which eliminated a lot of wires and a board) ...it's still challenging to say the least...especially since the way I designed the works ...is to have it all suspended in the upper part of the hull :crazy: ....the hardest part is making new mountings for the mini boards ...switches and gadgets ....with a lot of luck...it should function along the lines of a normal HL ... which would make me totally happy lol

ALPHA
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I know a lot of my wiring problems were solved when I bought a pack of solder free connector blocks, just open the two little flaps and lay the wire on the built in metal strip and close the flap, job done, although being such small wires I use a touch of glue to keep the wire in place because I defy any one to put one wire down without the other moving out of place! It makes connecting wires almost easy. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

cheers shaun I might try those, saves me soldering them together everytime the having to un-solder them! I think next build alpha I will keep wires/electronics to a minimum if I can, everyone elses builds/wiring solutions look much cleaner than mine, I could where there not plugging everything in! and now ive ordered some visaton speakers am going to have to find room for them and build a speaker box! I might try some decent hifi shielded audio cable I have left over from my hifi to see if this makes any sound quality improvements!
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jarndice wrote:I know a lot of my wiring problems were solved when I bought a pack of solder free connector blocks, just open the two little flaps and lay the wire on the built in metal strip and close the flap, job done, although being such small wires I use a touch of glue to keep the wire in place because I defy any one to put one wire down without the other moving out of place! It makes connecting wires almost easy. shaun
Yup have those too... think they will work perfectly for the motor hook ups :D ...since that's the only thing that stays down in the hull...everything else goes up :haha:

ALPHA
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Took some artsy black and white photos with my phone, trying to get a 1940s look, ignore the IR mushroom I left in!
03004e03.jpg
03004e08.jpg
03004e08.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 3170 times
03004e1b.jpg
03004e1b.jpg (68.68 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
03004e1a.jpg
03004e1a.jpg (44.98 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
03004e19.jpg
03004e19.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
I think the last photo looks the best,although am not sure what settings I used on my phone! Let me know what you think!

Return to “Tiger I”