Staff Sergeant

Re: DUKW Scratch Builds

Post by Meter rat »

Another awesome build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That’s outstanding Mr Ecam, love the roller fairlead set up.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Gracias Mr. Bix, Senior Rat and Big brother.

The booms could also be installed and folded down to travel. The stay (when the crane was up) simply held tension on the cables. The cables were attached to the forward lifting hooks (which I haven't built yet).

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Here in the States, this is 12/2 Romex. Wire thickness varies, this is .080 (about 2mm). The wire in the black and white sheathing is the same just a bit harder to get to. I'm using this to make the six lifting hoops on the sides of the hull.

I know print them, print them... I have a printer but I still don't know how to make it run properly. So I will attempt to old school these clevises (hey, Mike still can't post a picture).

Eric
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I may not be smart enough to post a picture, but if I WERE smart enough; I certainly wouldn't show off any of my handiwork compared to the great work YOU are doing! (But you're still a schmuck).
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Didn't get a whole lot finished. Can't believe how many hooks and hoops are on these DUKWs! I built a jig after the first set of hoisting hooks didn't come out very even. Then I lengthened the jig by .120 to remake the hoops as the second set were too short. Also made a couple drilling templates to keep things even. Clevises are finished, in the second picture are the two sets that didn't work out. Now on to the little hooks and hoops.

Last edited by Ecam on Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

You are on eighteen pages of magic, Ecam! I have been astonished at the work all along. Now I see the clevises and wonder if I could even make something that fine. You are major league skilled; I don't even qualify for Tee Ball. But I just drool, swoon, and keep swinging away and having fun.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

As I've said before I have nowhere near the talents as many on this forum. I do like solving problems and fabricating items. And I admit this DUKW is turning out much better than I expected it would.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Spent about three hours last night going through the books and every picture I could find on the net for hooks and hoops. I learned there was a variety of arrangements. I chose to go with what was most common. I even found a picture of a DUKW with the same square side ribbing on the top rail. Could have been a shortage of supply when it was being built or a rebuild, restoration...

After testing, reworked the top of the boom to make it more accurate. Besides the six hoisting hoops there are 40 more hoops and hooks mostly for lashing cargo, bumpers, canvas top and tying off when it is a boat.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

As some of you may have figured out by now, I tend to scrounge and use what is on hand to build things. This is TV/cable coax. I needed a small stiff wire to build the 10 canvas top hooks on the sides of the bed (5 per side).

The tool to help form them.

The only clear picture I could find of what they looked like.

Eric

Return to “Wheeled and Half-Tracked Vehicles”