Panzer Spirit Build 2022 - ?

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Panzer Spirit Build 2022 - ?

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Your process is simpler than mine, which demonstrates that there are many roads to success!

For wood, I sometimes use a stock I put up of the now-defunct Testor's Wood Enamel, also over a wire-brush scratched surface (brass for plastic, steel for metal). I have painted tool heads so many different ways I cannot remember. I have tried Testor's "Steel" enamel and Vallejo "Steel," even Vallejo "Oily Steel"; also Tamiya and Testor's (enamel and acrylic) and Vallejo and AK Interactive "Gun Metal"---egad, what else? In every case, I have painted any tool clamps or attachments to the tank in the adjoining color as if the crew bothered to take the tools off before spraying camouflage. For US tanks, I have used the types of finish above, but also sprayed others all OD (which was often done right at the factory) or even a matte finish (imitating the lacquer sometime applied to the metal heads on US tools).

I don't think I have done tracks the same twice. Plastic tracks I leave alone. For metal tracks, I always used a Rustoleum primer (gray for US, red for DE, whatever for RU). Over the primer, I have tried the gun metal of the brands above, black, even--what a hoot--"steel." The last set me to :haha: , for when all was dried, the tracks look the same as out of the box. :O I have always used a rust or track wash, sometimes as an enamel, sometimes as a powder pigment with a fixer.

And then there are the nifty German Tetra fire extinguishers. I have used the reddish Vallejo puts out for shear handles, a reddish brown, even Dunkelgrau.

In short, I have tried many ways, following first this book, then that, then no book at all. So now you see why I asked, if you aren't :yawn: already.

:S
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herr Doc,
Never bored when someone wants to talk about tanks and the Builds we all do. The most complex thing I have ever done is make wooden handles out of cocktail sticks for the tools. ( well, aside from building the Aber brass clamps and fire extinguishers, etc... ) In the early days, I painted bare metal tracks with a bronze hammerit paint then ran them extensively on concrete. This produced a good looking track. I run my tanks outdoors a lot so any weathering I ever tried on the tracks themselves was quickly removed by the dirt, gravel and brush. I think it is good that you try lots of different methods for painting tools and tracks since it seems that all of the survivors ended up with different color tools and tracks as well.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Over the last few weeks, I have built up several nights worth of photos so it is time for another pic rich post. I did want to mention to the Good Doktor that he inspired me to do more than cut apart and hang the Taigen plastic tracks on the rear as I did with the Panther years ago. I drilled the track guides and used a combination of Dust, German Grey and Flat Black to give them a more more realistic look. On to the Pics!
Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
Some circular beading on the rear and top deck along with edging on the armor plate.jpg
Some circular beading on the rear and top deck along with edging on the armor plate.jpg
An example of the ring weld beads.jpg
An example of the ring weld beads.jpg
An example of the new weld beading...had to primer first per the instructions.jpg
An example of the new weld beading...had to primer first per the instructions.jpg
Under the right light the shading certainly changes from the primer red....jpg
Under the right light the shading certainly changes from the primer red....jpg
A couple of coats of red brown.jpg
A couple of coats of red brown.jpg
Time to primer....jpg
Time to primer....jpg
Thanks to Barry for this idea....jpg
Thanks to Barry for this idea....jpg
An EBay find.jpg
An EBay find.jpg
Smaller than I thought but useful anyway.jpg
Smaller than I thought but useful anyway.jpg
An experiment in detailing.jpg
An experiment in detailing.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

The next set of Pics continue with the weld beads and also focus on the effects of Mr. Surfacer as a faux cut effect on the armor plate edges...
Attachments
On to tools....jpg
On to tools....jpg
Similar to but not quite elfinbein.jpg
Similar to but not quite elfinbein.jpg
Hatch WIP.jpg
Hatch WIP.jpg
Hatch time.jpg
Hatch time.jpg
Visible from a distance.jpg
Visible from a distance.jpg
Brush detail paint.jpg
Brush detail paint.jpg
Closeup under Tamiya Desert Yellow.jpg
Closeup under Tamiya Desert Yellow.jpg
An improvement over the smooth toylike seams of the original upper.jpg
An improvement over the smooth toylike seams of the original upper.jpg
A third coat of primer to cover the beading and plate details.jpg
A third coat of primer to cover the beading and plate details.jpg
A closeup of the Mr. Surfacer edging.jpg
A closeup of the Mr. Surfacer edging.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Moving onto the detail painting of the Tools and clamps and assorted interesting bits of the top and rear deck and tool mounts
Attachments
Last cables and tracks.jpg
Last cables and tracks.jpg
Gunners view...cracked by the bomb hit that drove VonNorden to leave his dead and dying crew behind.jpg
Gunners view...cracked by the bomb hit that drove VonNorden to leave his dead and dying crew behind.jpg
The lethality emerges....jpg
The lethality emerges....jpg
A Better view.jpg
A Better view.jpg
Tool closeup Gunners Side View.jpg
Tool closeup Gunners Side View.jpg
Moving on to more tool and cable details.jpg
Moving on to more tool and cable details.jpg
Muted but detailed.jpg
Muted but detailed.jpg
Corrected on the Commanders side view.jpg
Corrected on the Commanders side view.jpg
Shovel cleanup.jpg
Shovel cleanup.jpg
More chains but I have the pins reversed ...fixed them later.jpg
More chains but I have the pins reversed ...fixed them later.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

A Happy accident leaves me to begin this section of the Build update with some cable and spare track add on work. The Build's half comprising this Jagdpanther is almost complete now. Time for weathering and markings and of course, Von Norden himself.
Attachments
and next...the Commander.jpg
and next...the Commander.jpg
Von Nordens Accursed Beast.jpg
Von Nordens Accursed Beast.jpg
Bosch lights the way to mayhem.jpg
Bosch lights the way to mayhem.jpg
Cables are normal steel and so they rust.jpg
Cables are normal steel and so they rust.jpg
Tracks are made of the wonder metal as well so no rust.jpg
Tracks are made of the wonder metal as well so no rust.jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Just seeing this thread! Looking good, I had no idea that Archer made weld seems! I have always used my Walnut Hallow hot knife with the fine solder point. Painless it may be too late in the process to change it but if you like I will send you a copy of the Tamiya Gun mantel, its a bit thicker and textured, the tiny bump is to scale and so on, looks better. Let me know and I'll throw it in the mail for you! 8)
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

J!
Thanks for looking in and for the Offer of the Tamiya mantlet! I have one in spares and had considered using it but that was before I discovered that the stock muzzle brake was held on by 'THE HAND OF GOD!" Oh well, in the novel, this Jagdpanther was one of 5 'Special Models' so I will put it down to that. Thanks again, my Friend!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

PainlessWolf wrote:J!
Thanks for looking in and for the Offer of the Tamiya mantlet! I have one in spares and had considered using it but that was before I discovered that the stock muzzle brake was held on by 'THE HAND OF GOD!" Oh well, in the novel, this Jagdpanther was one of 5 'Special Models' so I will put it down to that. Thanks again, my Friend!
regards,
Painless
Of course! No problem! It looks great, never too late to rub it down with some Magic Grime! :D :thumbup:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

J!
I am watching your Jagdpanther Build specifically for this ( tips and tricks ). I need to dirty it up since it has been sitting in a German forest for 40 yrs at the time of the novel. The book protagonists noted that the dunkelgelb paint was in excellent shape once cleaned with the bow emblem clearly visible. There were no other markings on the tank destroyer but that ghosts of past camo paint jobs could be seen if you looked closely. There was no rust except for cables and things like the tools and fan intake covers, ( basically anything not made of the wonder metal that most of the vehicle is made of ) Something to figure out since the thing is 'alive' and able to run and fight when it should not be able to...
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Jagdpanther”