New 3D printer to the fold! ARRIVED!

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Re: New 3D printer to the fold! ARRIVED!

Post by Will01Capri »

Just got a price on an S4. £360!!!! That seems bargain cheap!
I cannot move on it now, i am guessing if i can get that price now, i will again in future as it is a fluid market and quickly changing.
But will look to get one closer to Easter.

Question.....

Health Risks with 3D printing in the home?
I have young kids and they also now love the 3DP, but is there anything i should be aware of whilst printing in the home with dusts or pollutants?

I am wondering whether i should be looking to build a garage for the car and also somewhere to run the printers. Cost prohibitive at the moment, but i want my family to be safe above all.
Should i look at incasing them or adding extraction?
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Will, found this, I think if you stick to PLA you will be fine. I've been printing away without ventilation for nearly 2 years and I'm ajhuhbvvkjbhledfvbklkj ............ 8O :crazy:

ABS emitted styrene – a chemical that is both toxic and carcinogenic. Other materials based on nylon gave off caprolactam particles, which are linked with other non-life threatening health problems. The PLA filament emitted a benign chemical named lactide.16 Feb 2016

but I also found this
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/tox ... ocs-60796/

I have not noted any effects other than a slight smell from the PLA, plus my printer is in a separate room and I don't spend time in there usually when a long print is running. I usually leave a window open slightly when printing except when it's seriously minus temp.

Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

AlwynTurner wrote:Hi Will, found this, I think if you stick to PLA you will be fine. I've been printing away without ventilation for nearly 2 years and I'm ajhuhbvvkjbhledfvbklkj ............ 8O :crazy:

ABS emitted styrene – a chemical that is both toxic and carcinogenic. Other materials based on nylon gave off caprolactam particles, which are linked with other non-life threatening health problems. The PLA filament emitted a benign chemical named lactide.16 Feb 2016

but I also found this
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/tox ... ocs-60796/

I have not noted any effects other than a slight smell from the PLA, plus my printer is in a separate room and I don't spend time in there usually when a long print is running. I usually leave a window open slightly when printing except when it's seriously minus temp.

Alwyn
Very interesting Alwyn
Now that i have multiple printers and my kids are showing the interest i just want to make sure, that is good reading.
I do think i want to have a printer area and seperate work area as i don't need to watch a printer working anymore, even if i did spend alot of time in the beginning as it was weirdly satisfying. Maybe i just weird haha.
PLA i have only ever smelled a slight sweet smell like cooking sugar.
I was toying with idea in temporary period buying a wooden shed and insulating the crap out of it. fit a old over extractor above and turn that on before entering, but otherwise have it switched off and run a small old electric oil filled radiator to keep it warm. but not sure if it would work that well.
My wife is starting to take 3D printing seriously for designing and printing fairy garden accessories and if it keeps her busy at home and earning some cash perfect.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

i have been having a couple nightmares this week
Although i got my new printer running, the hot end internal metal sleeve is bent and also broken. so i am spilling filament over the top of the print constantly.
I only just got it running with repalcement psu, but now this. i think it has had a rough ride from China and damaged. Also the z axis stepper makes a horrible noise. it isnt the leadscrew it is actually grumbling within the motor!!

I am hoping they are able to fix it and send parts, but i am down to 1 printer.

But now the older printer is having feed jamming issues, today i find huge filament worn hole in the plastic feed. so i am going to do some upgrades to it aswell.

So i am going to upgrade. Anyone palyed with differen thot ends on their printer, especially if Ender 3? Maybe thinking the V6 upgrade!
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Unlucky Will, I’m sorry I can’t help you with hot ends, I’ll be watching how you get on so I can blatantly copy you
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

midlife306 wrote:Unlucky Will, I’m sorry I can’t help you with hot ends, I’ll be watching how you get on so I can blatantly copy youImage
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha thanks! lol

I have found a UK supplier of the internal extruder throat sleeve. So for £4.50 i may just get the new printer up and running.
I will also fit the aluminium extruder setup to my old printer as it has worn through the plastic arm, even though i do use a filament guide.
i am planning on running a side feed reel setup, rather than having it up top, that should straighten the filament path and prevent wear in future.

As for the Hot End upgrade, i have contacted E3D. I know there is a guy on here who works there, so have reached out for some advice.
I like the look of the V6 upgrade, although when looking through, i reckon maybe the Lite6 will be suitable for my needs.
I am looking at purchasing a 3rd Ender 3 for my wife to use. So the setups will be as follows

Ender 3 Original machine, upgraded with new Hot end v6 hot end
Ender 3 New 2nd mahcine which is broken, keep it running in upgraded form, so maybe run a lite6 hot end
New Ender 3 for my wife with fairy garden accessories to run stock items, except for glass plate and minor mods. It does her stuff as it should to a good enough quality.
Cr10S4 400x400x400 (will be going on order when i see a good price on it again)
So before i even get to the end of my 1st year in 3D printing, i may have 4 working printers at home haha! Thanks Wayne/Alwyn/Gary!!!!! hehe
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Will this is now waaaaay beyond obsession! 8O ;D :haha: All those out there consider that 1 printer is never enough so beware buying the first one.

Mind you I will need to acquire a second printer when I get back from my hols because I am building up a backlog of commissions, 1 set of 1/6 Universal Carrier suspension, 1 Chieftain, 1 Centurion AVRE, and 1 Chieftain ARRV. 8O :crazy: I just hope my financial manager doesn't cotton on to the plan for a new printer until it arrives. It will have to be small to fit the tiny space available so I'll probably go for a Creality Ender 2. It's really to print all the small stuff on a build, the big stuff I can do on my main printer.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

AlwynTurner wrote:Will this is now waaaaay beyond obsession! 8O ;D :haha: All those out there consider that 1 printer is never enough so beware buying the first one.

Mind you I will need to acquire a second printer when I get back from my hols because I am building up a backlog of commissions, 1 set of 1/6 Universal Carrier suspension, 1 Chieftain, 1 Centurion AVRE, and 1 Chieftain ARRV. 8O :crazy: I just hope my financial manager doesn't cotton on to the plan for a new printer until it arrives. It will have to be small to fit the tiny space available so I'll probably go for a Creality Ender 2. It's really to print all the small stuff on a build, the big stuff I can do on my main printer.

I wouldn't even look the Ender 2 to be fair, if you need small, the Ender 3 fits that bill nicely and works great. I can highly recommend it, as long as the courier doesn't decide to deliver it by horse and cart from CHina haha
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Will, good point about the ender 3 but my problem is space - footprint. The ender 2 will fit very nicely on a shelf next to my CR10. The space is 400x400x550 and the ender 2 is 300x350x550, whilst the ender 3 is 440x410x465, and the ender 2 is 119 pounds vs 196 pounds for the ender 3. I don't need the extra print size as 85% of my prints will easily fit on the ender 2, and the rest get printed on my big printer. I buy from Amazon and with Prime it's usually next day delivery.

Anyway it's an issue for when I get back from the hols in July, there may be something better available by then.

thanks for the input though - much appreciated. :thumbup:

Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

So the inner throat snapped off clean with top of square heat block!
Tried removing it, but only wrecked the threads on the heat block. so now waiting on parts.
Got a new throat coming, but cannot find a UK square heat block. So now i defo want to upgrade. What an arse!

At least i got the old printer up and running again tonight after getting in. Looks like i just spend doing CAD so i have stuff ready to go once they are both fully online.

I am running a print for some side reel mounts for my Ender 3, this hopefully should help the feed into the extruder. Means more footprint they take up, but better angle for filament lead in, which should help with movement through ptfe tube anyway :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “3D Printing”