1:16 Sherman convert to "Oddball's" tank

sparks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 1:16 Sherman convert to "Oddball's" tank

Post by sparks »

PA SPEAKER Mk I

The bells, the bells, :wtf:
Got these, courtesy of Von kraftwerk, thanks
First thing to do was get rid of the chrome plating.
Next, I re shaped using Milliput to get a more cone like shape, made the dent, then used some small guage wire to form the lip around the edge.
Made the internal horns by cutting a small circular piece of plastic then fixing on some scraps from a model spru.
A bit more sanding, but didn't want it to look too smooth, and a coat of paint, job done.
Temporary fit to turret to get a first impression.
I'm happy with the front on view, although still a bit small, but not sure on the side elevation.
Now that I've re-checked the movie, its seems much more cone shaped, so I'm investigating small funnels. See screen shots below.
BFN :wave:
Hey man....I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Woof woof woof !
sparks

Post by sparks »

PA Speaker Mk II

Hi all,
As mentioned in previous message, I have been looking for small funnels, and found this in a model steam engine store. My thoughts were to use the cut down funnel and fix a thimble on the rear to form the correct shape. I had no info on the size of thimbles, just that they came in small, medium and large, so I asked the other half to get me a medium when she was in town, so here are the starting conponants.
The thimble turned out to be too small, but the plastic bubble pack it was in looked much more promising.
The first thing I did was to cut down the front of the funnel to get rid of the rim and make it a bit smaller.Formed the "dent" by applying heat, and this time I thinned the edges ,before fitting the small wire that forms the detail.
I then cut down the plastic thimble packing and , after cutting off the rear of the funnel, fixed it in place. Then added some more small cable to form the rear detail.
I re-used the inner horns from speaker Mk I and painted .
Temporary fix to the turret for photo shoot, and I think you will agree, this is much closer to the actual speaker on Oddballs tank.
Woof woof woof !
sparks

Post by sparks »

The Water/Oil Can

Got this miniture watering can from a dolls house shop.
After cutting about a bit, re-fixing the spout higher up, and painting, we have the finished article, ready to sit on the front fender.
Woof woof woof !
sparks

Post by sparks »

The Lantern

Again, sorced from a dolls house shop, this coach lamp is the starting point.
More cutting about :/ removed the base and the lid, streightened the corner posts and cut down the lid.
Thinned down the lid and base, then cut some clear styrene and coated with "Clear Red" paint to form the glass panels. Fitted panels in place and fixed lid to finish off the lantern ready to go on the opposite fender.
Have still got the little 12V lamp and am toying with the idea of making it a working lamp.
Woof woof woof !
fleshpedler
Sergeant

Post by fleshpedler »

Loud speaker looks spot on Alan..............................
Fleshy.............................................
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Brilliant, their is nothing else I can say. Sax
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I saw a build thread on a 1/35th version of this tank. When it came to mounting the speaker, they referenced that on the real tank in the movie, they attached it to the spare track links on the side of the turret. (Or, maybe to the mounting brackets for the links). Until they said that and I looked up some photos; I didn't even realize that the Shermans in the movie had spare track links on both sides of the turrets! They also said that the speaker always appears on the left turret side except for the "in camp" scene where Oddball introduces Kelley to the tanks.
I'm really enjoying you build! -Mike
sparks

Post by sparks »

Hi all,
Sorry for lack of progress, been busy with work again :'(
Trying to get hold of some spare track links for the turret (after selling the Sherman kit plastic ones :crazy: ) I have a couple from my Pershing kit and have ordered a couple more.
In the meantime, I bought a 1974 Tamiya Sherman from eBay to get the metal tracks.
The metal tracks I already have (bought them years ago) although quite sturdy in build, have a problem with the links, several of the "figure of eight" pieces that hold the pins together, have a tendancy to come loose and drop off if you don't see them quick enough. All the metal replacement tracks of that style seem to look the same as the ones I've already got, although I can't remember where I bought mine, I didn't want to spend more money on tracks that might do the same thing, so when I saw the 74 Sherman, I bid on it and got the whole tank inc shipping, cheaper (not much) than a set of "upgraded" metal tracks.
These Tamiya originals feels much better quality of build. They were a bit scruffy, so I've cleaned them up and put a couple of coats of paint on them, ready for weathering.
BFN
:wave:
Woof woof woof !
fleshpedler
Sergeant

Post by fleshpedler »

Alan I have had my Sherman since 1974 when they first came out, and still have the tracks and never lost a figure of eight link end, simple just soldered them on, big hot iron, plenty of flux (cleaned straight away), and yes they will take a lot of punishment and last......although I do,not use them now because I have replaced them with the V V S S type , which is of course correct for my firefly...... catch you soon ........
Fleshy...................................
sparks

Post by sparks »

I have managed to find a milk churn to hang on the back of the tank.
These dolls house supplies are the dogs doo daa's :haha:
Temporary hook up to rear of tank to check for size,
Looks good compareing to the film.
Woof woof woof !

Return to “Sherman”