Which colors for German tanks?

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
bigford
Recruit

Re: Which colors for German tanks?

Post by bigford »

all tanks look better in tan paint
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Correction- Jaybird thanks for posting the link,I was using a different Green,I will try the chart color as noted. Thanks,Saxondog
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I was curious as to why I chose the XF-61 Dark Green,Tamiya Porsche King Tiger manual suggest that color of green. As does the Henschel Production turret manual. Still I think on this one I will try the other green suggested on the link XF-58..
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

The base color. tan looks almost wood-like whe applied over armor. I have tried that and i've tried "Modern desert tan" on my King Tiger. Did not look right at all. Too light and too pale. For a tank faded in the north African desert maybe, for anyplace else-not what i'd ever use again. "Dunkelgelb" is what i have to use as my base...found 2 bottles for sale at the hobby and swooped them up-their only color that they run out of all the time. For the green-after looking at all of them and trying several, the best without doubt is olive drab.

Can be mixed with a bit of white to make it more pale if its too dark for you, but it does, i believe, look authentic and I have seen none better for that shade of green then OD. For the brown, I used "Italian brown" if you are doing latewar very latewar panzers, a lot of them came out of the factory in their red oxide with two cans of paint, green and dunkelgelb. So the red oxide was the base and the crew expected to use the PRIMER as part of the camo scheme, Because even though we've seen hundreds of tanks in pictures, old films and such, these images and old films are almost all black and white... and though you can spot a PATTERN of a tank you couldn't even GUESS what the colors were!
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

OOOOOOOOOOOOO..............K....Since someone brought this three year old thread into view... if anyone needs color information...the board has a advisory thread

http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... .php?f=131

ALPHA

Return to “Painting and Weathering”