My 1/6th DeSimone Sherman

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Saxondog
Captain

Re: My 1/6th DeSimone Sherman

Post by Saxondog »

Hi Harold, the DID WEAPON would be best if it is a clean casting, could you give me a link to those sites? Thanks Blake
pzrwest
Corporal

Post by pzrwest »

Here is the first http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/portal/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Second http://onesixthnet.yuku.com/directory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you will have to join to post on the forums. Hope this helps.... Harold
pzrwest
Corporal

Post by pzrwest »

Well I ordered the DML one last night from TSB and it was shipped out today and a nice refund on the shipping to boot. For the life of me I can't seem to find the build on the DML 50cal. Does anyone have a link to this build? One of the pics shows extra notches part just behind the carrying handle section. Several people voiced concerns about the DID one and it's weight and the possibility of breaking the gun mount post
pzrwest
Corporal

Post by pzrwest »

Well I couldn't resist starting to start working on my JD Sherman I got from Shane(GeneralSpecific) and started to tackle the turret. I scrapped the turret hatches that came with it and decided to make my own. The commanders hatch will have rotateing vission port. I find that JB Quick(a type of JB Weld) works great on this tank, haven't tried epoxy yet. Here are a few pics of the work so far. As always comments are most welcomed.... Harold
pzrwest
Corporal

Post by pzrwest »

Update:
Work continues. I have now finished the commander's vision port, and it rotates nicely. I have drilled the opening for the commader's external site to be viewed from. I have also added the mg socket to the rear side of the copula. Here are the latest pics...
Here are a few pics of an actual periscope insert for a Sherman tank. A friend gave me this many years ago was still wrapped in it padded cover and in the original carton. I included these pics so all can see what an actual periscope lense looks like
Here is a pic taken through the lense and yes those are my fingers you see in the window
pzrwest
Corporal

Post by pzrwest »

This Sherman is located at the tank museum(open air) in S. Calif in Rosemead. What is the designation of this Sherman? The photo titles say M4A3d and a placard(sign) in front of the tank says 76. Thank you in advance.... Harold

pzrwest
Corporal

Post by pzrwest »

Update:
Here is how I made the new barrel for the Sherman. I didn't like the the stock barrel as it was just a piece of tubbing with no taper to it.I took an old open face fishing rod and removed the handle from the rod, and cut it to a length longer than required. The 1st pics I have started the 1st wrap of cotton butchers cord. I tack glue every 20 wraps just incase it slips out of my hand to save re-wrapping the cord. It only will un-wrap back as far as the last tacked spot
Fiber glass fishing rod barrel core now fully wrapped
Next pic I have coated the first wrapping with several coats of Elmer's yellow carpenters glue, sanding between each coat, and started the second wrapping
Second wrapping completed
The second wrapping has had 3 to 4 coats of glue, sanding between coats. The barrel has been cut to length and an insert glued into the barrel core
The next group of pics are of the barrel glued to the mantlet, "ears" added to the mantlet.
The next pics are of the inside of the barrel assembly
pzrwest
Corporal

Post by pzrwest »

Update:
Well I screwed the mantlet assembly to the turret to see how she looks with the main gun on the turret. I then proceeded to scratchbuild the 50cal mount for the turret. For the post I used the left over upper rad hose piece from my DML Jeep. Here are a few pics of the mount with the gun attached on the commander's copula gun mount base
pzrwest
Corporal

Post by pzrwest »

Would this be the correct 50cal cradle mount for this Sherman?
The one I scratchbuilt was copied from a 50cal cradle mount from a Jeep I have here. If the above mount is incorrect does anyone have a detailed pic of the correct mg mount? Thank you in advance.... Harold
grim_marmazet
Staff Sergeant

Post by grim_marmazet »

pzrwest wrote:This Sherman is located at the tank museum(open air) in S. Calif in Rosemead. What is the designation of this Sherman? The photo titles say M4A3d and a placard(sign) in front of the tank says 76. Thank you in advance.... Harold
Hi Harold,

That Sherman is indeed an M4A3, and is a 75mm version.
pzrwest wrote:Would this be the correct 50cal cradle mount for this Sherman?
The one I scratchbuilt was copied from a 50cal cradle mount from a Jeep I have here. If the above mount is incorrect does anyone have a detailed pic of the correct mg mount? Thank you in advance.... Harold
Thats the correct pintle for a Sherman, I believe the one you have at the moment is the mount for soft-skinned vehicles such as the Willy's Jeep, or for earlier war versions of the Sherman.

Cheers,
Rik

Return to “Larger Scale Military”