ETO roller bearing upgrade:

Daryl's Parts motor mount and Idler upgrade:
Ex_Pat_Tanker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: My First Tamiya!

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

Progress update for today.

Finished the rear hull modifications to convert the Tam to A3 standard:

I stretched the hull with a little plasticard. Needs a little sanding to get it all blended in, but overall not too shabby:

Next up was the Exhaust deflector. I used the 2 aluminium sprocket 'guards' for the frame, held in place with some M3 screws and nuts. I had to trim down the resin deflector to compensate, but its fairly soft so easily worked on. The deflector is also held in place with M3 screws (backed up with half a gallon of superglue):

Finally, I finished off the turret ring guard with a few off-cuts. Again, just needs a little filler to tidy up:
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

Well, April is here - so it must be time for an update :D

I did do a little more after the last update, just putting the turret together (realised after the event that I've put the commanders hatch on wrong, but too late now 8O)

I also started putting the original turret together, in the hope that one day I would one day be able to get another upper hull to dump on a Mato hull - I have photo's of 105mm armed Shermans in the Ardennes. Commanders view ports courtesy of Mr. Dremel...

So, on to this weeks progress:
I mounted the recoil motor to the turret cross brace next to the elevation motor. Nick's T23 turret has no provision for mounting the recoil unit, so I'll have to drive the barrel via a flexible coupling (like a paper clip or something :S)
So I started by marking the brace with the existing hole centers in the recoil casing:

After a quick test fit I realised that the 2 self tappers (surplus from a HL of some sort) were just a little too long - Have file, will shorten... :D

After another test fit I realised that I would have to drill another hole in the casing to clear the turret ring screw:

Had yet another "Oh ****!" moment :O when I assembled the ball joint for the elevation mechanism - had to file the back of the plastic socket, and dremel away part of the recoil mech casing to make some clearance...
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Hi Mart,interesting build.Why did you say you installed the command copula/hatch wrong? And the small ball joint with the rod is this the recoil attachment point? I've not had the thrill of a Tamiya Tank or for that matter any allied Tanks so pardon the questions as I admit a total lack of knowledge about the Sherman variants.I will be watching with interest, Best Regards Blake
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

Having studied some of Ethan Dunsfold's Sherman builds, I think the hatch is in the wrong orientation, the hatch hinge should be closer to being parallel to the axis of the gun barrel - compare it with the original Tam turret and you'll see what I mean.
The ball joint and rod is for the elevation mechanism. The recoil is hidden on the opposite side of the black plastic casing.
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

very nice, theres some nice goodies going into this one, never had a tamiya in kit form , after seeing this might have to get the panther, if i can justify the price difference from the h/l one
must be quite daunting cutting into a new kit
all the best, cliff
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Looking really good! :)
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

[ICE]monkey wrote:must be quite daunting cutting into a new kit
That my friend is the beauty of starting out with HL's :D - you lose your fear after the second conversion kit :haha:
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

Todays fun and games :D

Installed a set of drive shaft support bearings (from tank-modelbau), and thread locked the front end in place:

Also finished off the rear deck, with some scratch built handles for the engine grill

Now onto the paintshop for some primer...
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

coming along nicely,like the engine deck handles, is the turret made of resin ?
regards, cliff

Return to “Sherman”