Tongde Churchill MK VII

The news page threads are posted here. Threads posted here appear as a news article on the news page and on the front page of the website.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Tongde Churchill MK VII

Post by jarndice »

MonsieurTox wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:58 pm
Kaczor wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:43 pm As it has been proven many times on this forum, any toy can be turned into a model. Not everyone have skills, tools and time to scratch build like you ;)
Indeed, but what I mean is that not a lot would be used if one wants to turn it into a nice model, nothing to do with skills, tools or time :)
What I meanis that it does not worth $200, it's way too toyish (look at the suspensions, the visible allen and philips screws... :crazy: )
The tracks look very nice though, and only for that I applaud the effort, it opens a lot of choices, I can see a lot of AVRE's in the future ! :D
What is there to stop you from swapping the philips and allen headed fasteners for scale size bolts that is how my tanks and trucks are held together?
Unscrew the phillips screw One at a time and tap a correct size thread and spanner in a bolt then one at a time do the same for allen headed screws,
Trust me a simple mod such as that will hold everything in place and change its looks exponentially :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

I say 'good on Tongde ' they are at least bringing new models to market in a relatively short time and at a reasonable price, we have heard of other manufacturers touting their new tanks but still don't release them even after a few years. I know this tank along with some others have been available in kit form for a while but has as already been said some people would not have the time or skills to build such a tank so any base to start from must be a good thing in my opinion, any news on a release date? :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Model Builder 4 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:05 pm I say 'good on Tongde ' they are at least bringing new models to market in a relatively short time and at a reasonable price, we have heard of other manufacturers touting their new tanks but still don't release them even after a few years. I know this tank along with some others have been available in kit form for a while but has as already been said some people would not have the time or skills to build such a tank so any base to start from must be a good thing in my opinion, any news on a release date? :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
++++1!
As a world-renowned "poseur rivetcounter" I'm liking this Tongde upstart punk company releasing new and different tanks (any of the big players step up with an M60, yet?) and giving folks like me with a limited budget some options. I greatly admire rivetcounters and use the term with respect, but "close enough for government work" suits my build ambitions. I was also a career goverment employee for over 30 years so no disrespect meant.

Mike.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

In the case of their last model, Bradley, only a few months passed from the announcement to its appearance in stores, so I hope it will be available in spring. This is my dad's favorite Allied tank and he has already announced that we will buy a whole platoon of them ;)

As for the "toy" look - look at any Heng Long model "straight out of the box" - they look like toys. And with some work, modellers turn them into gems.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I don't know if it's just my perspective, but the springs look a little too perfect. Like they are molded in details and not functional.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Kaczor wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:09 pm

As for the "toy" look - look at any Heng Long model "straight out of the box" - they look like toys. And with some work, modellers turn them into gems.
Heng Long tank are a bit better (the last ones are greta out of the box). The problem with this Churchill is not the details the details of the hull that can be easily improved, this is the suspension units/road wheels and the way they are designed. Modifying them to get them look OK looks to be a challenge, for example the inner "arm" of the suspensions unit is about 5 times thicker than it should be. I know they made it this way to improve strength.

Anyway I'm very pleased with this release because that's a model I've been waiting for years, now I'm waiting for a MK III to get early tracks !
tankme wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:26 pm I don't know if it's just my perspective, but the springs look a little too perfect. Like they are molded in details and not functional.
They are true springs but they should be at least 3 times that diameter and thickness. I guess the model is very very light because the springs are very thin and because they had to put the battery on the very front of the hull to balance the gearboxes.
STHV
Corporal

Post by STHV »

With any luck they will release a version with metal running gear, the added weight may require them to use better springs.

I hope it will be correct to scale unlike the Bradley.
Panther D (WIP)
Panther A (WIP)
Panther G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
Churchill VII (WIP)
Chieftain Mk 3 (WIP)
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

For me I was planning to print one but as this looks good enough I would consider it when the metal upgrades are released
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

STHV wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:40 pm With any luck they will release a version with metal running gear, the added weight may require them to use better springs.
Most of the extra weight will be un-sprung weight. The only extra weight on the springs will be the sprockets, idlers and the top half ish of the tracks, not the road wheels, suspension or bottom half ish of the tracks.
It may benefit from some lead ballast strategically placed in the base.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

I like Tongde, i've completely rebuilt their M60 and Centurion this year, keeping me busy for 6 months for a few hundred dollars. They ended up requiring more work than initially anticipated, i kept discovering inaccuracies one after another, but it was a fun challenge and i ended up creating unique vehicles. To me, its like purchasing a base kit, but a lot cheaper and simpler. The plastic they use is easy to work with. I will recommend their metal upgrade on the M60 but the Churchill suspension is so simple, it should be fine in plastic. They are provided with good electronics equivalent to TK 7.0, with a cool On/Off switch i can't find anywhere else. Tongde metal tracks look and run well. Compared to the Ludwig Churchill i built a few years ago, this one is a definitely a good deal.

I would not be surprised if DKLM comes out with an 3D printed upgrade kit for it, like they did for the M60. He already has the base.

Return to “Hobby News”