What colors do we think this Tiger I was?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: What colors do we think this Tiger I was?

Post by MrChef »

Kaczor wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:00 pm In my opinion it's three colors:
I could go with that summation Kaczor.

Very cool how you recreated the possible colors.

Looking at it's features I'd place it as an early spring 43 Tiger I on the Eastern front. Likely new, camo painted for the surrounding theatre, Not whitewashed because it's spring but it's the Eastern front so possibly a surprise snow storm.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

It is an unusually blotchy camo. In fact perfect for my camo putty/spray bomb method of painting because I cannot airbrush. Definitely yellow base with red brown and green as Kaczor has shown
Last edited by Panzermechaniker on Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

The lack of headlights/convoy light could be a clue to the date of the photo. Somewhere (here on RCTW?) I thought I read that the fresh-from-production Tiger 1s started with two headlights, then went to one, and finally by 1944 were without headlights. Someone may jump in here on this clue of no headlights to suggest the date. Of course, Tiger Is in the field could have had headlights removed by the crew or because of action.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Id say it has just de-trained and been made ready for action. Could be headed directly for the white-wash mop next !
The headlights were removable for travel and were stowed inside the vehicle when not required. Also could be damaged, but who knows.
I reckon its confirmed no Dunkelgrau involved ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “General Questions”