Classy Hobby M5A1 Stuart RC conversion

Up to the end of WWII.
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Re: Classy Hobby M5A1 Stuart RC conversion

Post by MonsieurTox »

Hello, here's a quick video I made some times ago, turret rotation and elevation are now working, I'll make another video.

https://youtu.be/NAbLQICHMos

I received the amazing masks made by Rad to make the markings of my Stuart. It's a Polish Stuart from the 1st Armored Division.
I can't praise enough Rad's work. He has been so kind and patient with me haha but it paid off. I highly recommanded Rad if you want to paint your own markings. Thanks again mate !

Masks are easy to apply. They are low tack, no risk to peel the paint.
stuart18.jpg
Some more pics, I havent taken pics of all the markings and weathering is in progress in these pics but you get the idea. I still have to paint the pionneer tools, some other stuff that goes on the tank but it's freezing right now outside (and I paint in my garden) so I have to wait for a warmer weather.
stuart19.jpg
stuart20.jpg
stuart21.jpg
stuart22.jpg
stuart17.jpg
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Nicely done sir! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Thank you Barry ! :)
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Oooh, nice work! That project is slowly to the top of my list seeing all this. Very inspirational.
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Looks great. I have a special place in my heart for Stuarts.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I sure am impressed by your Stuart build. Apart from the scratch-built RC, I admire your weathering touch and unique markings. (Yes, Rad is a great and kind help indeed.)
I have the Classy Hobby Stuart kit, and intended to build it stat---unh... maybe I could... :think: I am learning about the electronics... :think: I will take another look at Louis's build, too. I noticed that you did the whole thing from 4 November to 10 December. If I try building my Stuart RC, the day and month might be the same, but the years will be one or two apart. :)
Bassetus44
Recruit

Post by Bassetus44 »

Nice job!
I’ve literally been given a M5A1 this morning for my birthday and started looking to see what others are doing. Good to see such a growing following.
I’ll follow with a renewed interest.
Last edited by Bassetus44 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Excellent work and glad to see the masks worked fine for you :D
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Thanks guys !

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:I sure am impressed by your Stuart build. Apart from the scratch-built RC, I admire your weathering touch and unique markings. (Yes, Rad is a great and kind help indeed.)
I have the Classy Hobby Stuart kit, and intended to build it stat---unh... maybe I could... :think: I am learning about the electronics... :think: I will take another look at Louis's build, too. I noticed that you did the whole thing from 4 November to 10 December. If I try building my Stuart RC, the day and month might be the same, but the years will be one or two apart. :)
Thanks Herr Doctor. It went even faster than, I actually get to the primer stage within one week (including one and a half day building the tracks :D). It was also running minus the rotation and elevation. I actually spent more time on the painting and weathering so far !

It's been so fast thanks to Louis's awesome step by step thread, I knew from the start what I needed, I knew what I could do (regarding what I have electronic wise and what I could do with my poor electronic skills, I discarded the recoild, flashing guns and moving MG, that's sad because I enjoyed the look of them in Louis's videos).

The Classy Hobby is a very nice kit. Most of the parts are very nice, some need some care but all in all it's a straight forward build. And it's kinda unique as a RC model in 1/16 scale :) It's my favorite tank now (of my collection). So tiny when you compare it to a King Tiger (the canon looks like the KT MG); it's a very cute tank. And it runs well ! Super fast, fast turns etc, just like the original !

Don't be affraid, with the help of Louis's thread, it doesnt take long to build it, and you won't regret !
Bassetus44 wrote:Nice job!
I’ve literally been given a M5A1 this morning for my birthday and started looking to see what others are doing. Good to see such a growing following.
I’ll follow with a renewed interest.
You are very lucky my friend ! That's a great present !

Return to “Other”