Hull,,Turret rotation

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Hull,,Turret rotation

Post by wibblywobbly »

I think what you are describing is a gyro controlled turret. The turret direction is maintained regardless of the direction of the hull, It works on the same principle as a radio controlled helicopter, it's called a head and hold gyro. Barrel stabilisation works the same way. It needs switches so that it can be turned on and off from the tx.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
lady.tigger
Recruit

Post by lady.tigger »

Hi,
Yes that's what I want, never thought of looking at helicopter gyro's, thank you, just knew someone out there new the answer, will start research NOW, thanks again.
Regards, Mike.
lady.tigger
Recruit

Post by lady.tigger »

Hi Robw, I am Sorry I did not answer you submission before I did Wibblywobbly's, when I went back to do it I was unable, but anyway thank you for your time and effort I will look at link now, thanks again. Regards Mike.
Firebird
Recruit

Post by Firebird »

Wow 350 kgs I thought my Tiger was heavy at 270 kgs, mine is also scratch built and I tried to keep the weight down but as its for the grandchildren to ride in it had to be strong, but easy for me to sync the turret just put a child in it :)

I've only just motorized the Turret though using car window motors and just cut part of the casing away to expose the large plastic cog to use as a drive wheel, 2 of them at the front of the turret using the weight of the gun and mantle too drive it while bearings at the back run around the underside of the deck, it turns at scale speed using a 7.2v 1200m pack, fitting a full auto BB machine Gun in at the moment by popular request (there goes another 3 day of my life just doing that) next the main gun @)

Any pictures of your Beast?
lady.tigger
Recruit

Post by lady.tigger »

Not when you have 4.5 acres of land, Retired and now in South West France, when I finish build, if I live long enough, have plans for M1070/M1070A1 Tractor and M1000 Trailer to carry this Monster on.
Will put some pic's on when I get the Hull from UK, but for now making the odd bit's like the 50 cal, turret hatch's, suspension arms etc, and trying to find out how ime going to make it all work, hence original post Turret Rotation. Research take hrs and hrs.
Have a good Day in Sumter. USA
OdysseySlipways
Recruit

Post by OdysseySlipways »

any updates? pictures? videos?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I'm just now seeing this, but Kevin Grannum did a turret lock set-up a couple years ago. Here's the video.

phpBB [video]
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
lady.tigger
Recruit

Post by lady.tigger »

Hi Max, Thanks for your reply, video looks interesting, not watched it yet, thought i would thank you first, bought two GA250 on line so will start playing with these soon, at the moment concentrating on electrics etc, winter time development, now Summer is almost here can go back to the building part.
The hull is still in the UK, so have been making all the smaller parts like Capola, Tool box covers etc etc, the big project (and problem) will be the main Barrel as it's 4ft long and 4.1/2" in dia, Diameter not problem its the 4ft my Lath can only handle just over 3ft, can make in two parts and bond the two together with the metal sleeve for the 17mm ammo.
Any way bored you all enough so will watch you video, thank you again for your time, will post some pic's when i next have a bit of time. Regards to all. Mike.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

This is one of those times when it's really too bad that there's all that water in between us, because my lathe can handle pieces up to 120 inches long. Well, technically it's not really mine, it belongs to the company I work for but I have access whenever I want. Having a fully equipped machine shop at my disposal has been a real blessing when it comes to building tanks.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
lady.tigger
Recruit

Post by lady.tigger »

Hi, you can say that again, I in fact worked for Rolls Royce aero engines, served my app with them,then joined the Development and Exsperimental Workshop,developing the Olimpus and another engine that i cant remember, (now 73 and retired) and there was nothing that you could not get done, even gold plating, love too own some of the machinery i used then, Gear Cutters, Surface grinders, Capstons, Millers etc etc,make life a lot easy'er, all Thou's then Milly's now, hope life is good for you across the Pond,Regards.
PS. Great Video you sent me, Thanks.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”