1/16 Long Tom Project

Up to the end of WWII
Bogeyman
Corporal

Re: 1/16 Long Tom Project

Post by Bogeyman »

Nice one Rob, you kept this one pretty quiet, looking forward to it as always.

John
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I'm a dark horse I am, lol.

Thanks for the links, though I have quite a few in my library on my pc. Loads of pics and videos about but apart from the barrel length the internet doesn't seem to have any dimensions, apart from one line drawing on Scribd.

I did my spreadsheet thing and broke the barrel down into sections, entered all of the full size measurement in inches, then ran calculations on each one to get 1/16, and the barrel is going to be enormous.

If it was 19" diameter then I am working on 15mm radius at the breech end, I am printing a test section and will post it up when it is done so that you can see what I am waffling on about. It looks way too big...but maybe it really was that huge? :wtf: If anyone can see an error anywhere then for goodness sake shout out.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Edited response - Miscalculated radius for diameter so was talking twaddle, ignore the post, the breech does sound a bit big though but on reflection it could be correct. It will be interesting to see the first barrel section. Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Here's a couple of pics with a 2p coin for scale comparison. It was printed at lightening speed so not the best quality.

This is where I got the measurements from, and made the assumption that they are in inches.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22280724/M2-1 ... Inch-Tubes
Attachments
IMG_20150401_080926.jpg
IMG_20150401_080926.jpg (48.58 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
IMG_20150401_080859.jpg
IMG_20150401_080859.jpg (48.28 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Having looked at it plus review of the diagrams it looks as though it's correct. That's one big gun! It's going to be an interesting and challenging build for sure and will follow with great interest. :clap: :thumbup: Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Well I went with what I had calculated, had to make a few adjustments while printing as I had to split the barrel into six sections, it took all day.

It's about 13mm too long, but I can live with that, and there is no way I am going to re-do it all now, though the glue hasn't taken on one of the joints (pla is a bit hit and miss with superglue - it worked on all of the joints except one, so I tried plastic glue, and then araldite) so I may have to cut a short length out to get back to solid material.

Here's a couple of pics next to what will being towing it, just to show how long the barrel is. Sure beats any tank barrel.... :wtf:
Attachments
DSCN0600.JPG
DSCN0599.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Rob if your making one to tow ,why not make another to fit to a Sherman hull (Tamiya) M40 I think its called.

regards pete
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Rob seen next to the gun tractor it looks right when compared to the google photos. Really great job! Alwyn

wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Hi Pete

I may do an M40 at some point, it would be a match for the rest of my current armoury, at least the awkward part, which is the gun, is ready to reprint at any time, still got a long way to go get the rest of the Long Tom done first though. The challenge is to make it look like a Long Tom, but still strong enough to tow around a battlefield, eg wheels that rotate, maybe suspension etc. It's such a big model that it requires a bit of forethought to get each part to fit on the print area of the printer, but I am getting there.

Mind you, I am so inspired by Alwyn's truck builds that there is one that I have always wanted to do, and I may have a go at that once the current projects are completed.

Rob
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Getting a bit more done, and posting the parts onto a printing site as I go so that anyone else can do this if they want to.

The recoil bed is a pain. I have had four attempts at printing this, but every time it starts lifting off the print bed towards the end. I decided to repair the best one with styrene in the end as it was becoming a chore waiting 90 minutes to see the next failure.
Attachments
DSCN0606.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Wheeled and Half-Tracked Vehicles”