1/6th Tiger Explodes

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: 1/6th Tiger Explodes

Post by ALPHA »

pzrwest wrote:From what I have read on the forums the tank did not use LiPo batteries but the concensus is all the blank rounds somehow went off all at the same time
:O They put cartridges in their TANKS??????????????????????????? :O ....

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tomhugill wrote:
ALPHA wrote:
Horses45 wrote:Big question was what caused it
Hey Horses... my guess would be the batteries ;) .....probably 19v Lipos
Can't imagine anyone doing that on purpose ...unless for a movie or something ;)

ALPHA

Lipos burn but tend not to explode like that.
Small ones yeah... big ones do.... been awhile...but there used to be a video of GM techs putting out a fire after a few of the lithium batteries blew the hood off of a test vehicle....it was pretty funny at the time.... I would assume GM had it removed since electric cars are now on the market.... lipos can explode.... the smaller ones "pop"...get enough of that polymer...lets just say ..it's really something ;)

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

I thought it was part of the show. Blew up like the real thing, turret than upper hull.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

MichaelC wrote:I thought it was part of the show. Blew up like the real thing, turret than upper hull.
:haha: :haha: I thought so too.... till the guy with the remote walked up to it with his Jaw hanging down :haha:

ALPHA
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

ALPHA wrote:
pzrwest wrote:From what I have read on the forums the tank did not use LiPo batteries but the concensus is all the blank rounds somehow went off all at the same time
:O They put cartridges in their TANKS??????????????????????????? :O ....

ALPHA

Yup, some 1/6 scale tanks have main guns that fire blank cartridges.
trackmech81
Lance Corporal

Post by trackmech81 »

If this did use a 12v battery, it could be possible a buildup of hydrogen in the hull was ignited by the blanks / pyro squibs. Either way I feel bad for the guy.
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

Aren't these normally 24v?
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

I recently sold the two blank firer units from my tigers. At least one went germany. This is one of the reasons I sold them. Always afraid something like this might happen. The Armortek tanks use a shotgun blank magazine.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Johnf wrote:I recently sold the two blank firer units from my tigers. At least one went germany. This is one of the reasons I sold them. Always afraid something like this might happen. The Armortek tanks use a shotgun blank magazine.
This is interesting stuff John....I mean who in their right mind would put anything with gunpowder in it ....in a toy...unless they wanted to destroy it 8O ...or is that something done for "smoke" effects

ALPHA
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

I think the armortek blank firer is unlikely to give problems once kept clean. It's a hefty chunk of aluminium and steel. Motorized chamber rotates to the next round after you fire.
I was adding interior detail to my turret and felt the blank firer just took up too much space. Also firing the blanks leaves a dirty residue on the interior surfaces and causes some corrosion. Armortek stopped producing the a coule of years ago.

I think the tank would survive the blast but paintwork and electronics would be destroyed.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”