Help with painting?

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Help with painting?

Post by jarndice »

Plumb Hallo, The Heng Long Decals should just peel off once you get a fingernail underneath, If they are true decals then a company called MICROSCALE make a product called MICRO SET and if you apply that, it softens the decal which will then peel off. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Plumbguy
Private

Post by Plumbguy »

jarndice wrote:Plumb Hallo, The Heng Long Decals should just peel off once you get a fingernail underneath, If they are true decals then a company called MICROSCALE make a product called MICRO SET and if you apply that, it softens the decal which will then peel off. shaun
Thanks just preparing things to get started, I'm going to get a cheap Panther and try airbrushing it, should think about an easier way to take the top of the hull off from the bottom instead of screws?
I LOVE my HL Tiger I and Tiger II
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

You have an airbrush? Makes life so much easier and less messy! Screws is the only method to get it off.

Also, about half way down, check out the information on paint: http://www.stugiii.com/germanvehiclecamouflage.html. Its 100% accurate. Although the only thing to be aware of, is lots of companies have a different take on what RAL colours should be, as they're not direct copies. Scale paints tend to be lighter to match the scale.
Plumbguy
Private

Post by Plumbguy »

billpe wrote:You have an airbrush? Makes life so much easier and less messy! Screws is the only method to get it off.

Also, about half way down, check out the information on paint: http://www.stugiii.com/germanvehiclecamouflage.html. Its 100% accurate. Although the only thing to be aware of, is lots of companies have a different take on what RAL colours should be, as they're not direct copies. Scale paints tend to be lighter to match the scale.
That's really helped Ill get a base colour then do the same patten as Tiger 131 I've got millions of photos from going to the museum multiple times personally :haha: also I'm going to try and experiment with magnets I'll get back to you guys and tell you how it went
DavidByrden
Corporal

Post by DavidByrden »

Plumbguy wrote:the same patten as Tiger 131 I've got millions of photos from going to the museum
The museum pattern isn't the original pattern, I'm afraid. They sandblasted the entire vehicle, modern paint and wartime paint, right down to the bare metal without exposing its original pattern. In fact they didn't think about recreating its colours until too late. Researchers had to examine small parts to find paint samples.

The colours are meant to be the first RAL tropical scheme, but in WW2 photos there seems to be less contrast between the two colours than you see on 131. In fact British observers described these tanks as "green" without mentioning a pattern.

David
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

PLUMB Hi. If you go to HENG LONG BUILDS and scroll down to MARKOCASTER's Tiger 1 build go to sub page "7" and you will see how he has fitted NEODYMIUN (rare earth)MAGNETS I have done the same to a PANZER 4 and it is a very good alternative to screws that will wear through the plastic in time. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Plumbguy
Private

Post by Plumbguy »

I've ordered some magnets and I'm going to try and test it out on my Tiger I'll update it as I go along
Plumbguy
Private

Post by Plumbguy »

DavidByrden wrote:
Plumbguy wrote:the same patten as Tiger 131 I've got millions of photos from going to the museum
The museum pattern isn't the original pattern, I'm afraid. They sandblasted the entire vehicle, modern paint and wartime paint, right down to the bare metal without exposing its original pattern. In fact they didn't think about recreating its colours until too late. Researchers had to examine small parts to find paint samples.

The colours are meant to be the first RAL tropical scheme, but in WW2 photos there seems to be less contrast between the two colours than you see on 131. In fact British observers described these tanks as "green" without mentioning a pattern.

David
Thank you David that'll help with its authenticity

Return to “Painting and Weathering”