Dicker Max

MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Dicker Max

Post by MichaelC »

Thanks guys for the kind comments.
tomhugill wrote:Seriously awesome work there fella! How much is the conversion?
Tom, I usually try not to think about that but since you asked...........

- Frank's kit - 180 euro
- Optional Idlers - 30 euro
- Taigen Metal Lower with tracks/sprockets/roadwheels (Used from wsn123) - 200 USD (I bought the lot for $300 USD with the Elmod which you have now, speakers and the upper hull)
- Tk35 Clark - $80 Cdn from FreakyDude.
- Merit 1/18 88mm - $70 Cdn
- Misc parts (servo, receiver, metal tools etc) - $50 Cdn

So total is 210 Euro + $200 USD + $200 Cdn which equals roughly = $724 Cdn or 400 BP...... Plus various shipping so maybe 450 BP at the end ?

MichaelC.
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

ALPHA wrote:I have to say...everytime I see a variant of the Panzer IV...it just makes me respect the carriage as a formidable gun platform even more...very nice build Micheal :thumbup:

Happy tanking SirImage

ALPHA
ALPHA, I really wish that there is a more robust metal lower than the one from Taigen/Asiatam so that we can build all kinds of variants. Like the new lower from Taigen for the KT, Tiger I and Panther are all amazing. I would just be using Pz IV lower for my next 10 projects. I have some much trouble with the old Asiatam metal lower that I am afraid to do another one.

I know the Dicker Max is an odd one, but my god you can do so many, L70s, Wirbelwind and the various "Winds", Hummel/Nashorn........

MIchaelC.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

MichaelC wrote:
ALPHA wrote:I have to say...everytime I see a variant of the Panzer IV...it just makes me respect the carriage as a formidable gun platform even more...very nice build Micheal :thumbup:

Happy tanking SirImage

ALPHA
ALPHA, I really wish that there is a more robust metal lower than the one from Taigen/Asiatam so that we can build all kinds of variants. Like the new lower from Taigen for the KT, Tiger I and Panther are all amazing. I would just be using Pz IV lower for my next 10 projects. I have some much trouble with the old Asiatam metal lower that I am afraid to do another one.

I know the Dicker Max is an odd one, but my god you can do so many, L70s, Wirbelwind and the various "Winds", Hummel/Nashorn........

MIchaelC.
I guess that's what keeps the hobby challenging... though the unfortunate aftermath is learning which parts work and which ones do ...I agree with you about the parts available for the Panzer IV....though there are a number of conversion kits available for it... I don't think any manufacturer has perfected the platform....and I might be kind of bias...but now believe after working and studying the engineering behind what brands are putting out... the Heng Long offers the most workable ..even though it isn't metal...why...because it works.... I've read that the Tamiya suspension system is almost as bad as the Taigen/Asiatam...which after working with those... I found terrible in design as well as operation

It's sad that the Panzer IV platform has been so neglected... even the aftermarket tensioners aren't that impressive for this tank...They all did the Panzer IIIs very well.. skipped the Panzer IV and jumped to the more popular Tiger

With that said.... I like the versatility of the Panzer IV....and believe it is a great platform for the true enthusiast...it isn't a model you can just make pretty... as there are many more challenges there in the base kit ...yes ...even the Heng Long....Just like the Sherman... you could base a collection on it's many variants...
Lucky for me... my collection requires only two of each :haha:

Happy Tanking MichealImage

ALPHA
CHIEFSONN
Lance Corporal

Post by CHIEFSONN »

Thank you for posting this build of your Dicker Max,amazing tank. I to for the last 12+ months on and off have been putting together a Dicker Max that I am doing using a 1/35 scale dragon model as a reference to duplicate my parts as needed. I started with the stock heng long chassis and correct the errors made with the position of the drive sprockets, and the rear return rollers. I then removed the battery box and all its cross supports. I then framed the inside with aluminum to stiffen her. the motors /gear boxes were replaced with low profile asiatam gears with tamiya electric motors mounted to a steel plate measured and fitted in place. I replaced the idlers using asiatams adjustable type with some modifications. the suspension was replaced again using asiatam steel wheels return rollers and supports along with the metal suspension I had plans to also use the clark board for my electronics of choice,so if you don't mind in me asking where did you hide it all ,that is of course the clark board and receiver, battery,servo,on/off switch etc. information regarding this would be kindly appreciated.
thank you
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

CHIEFSSON, I have a slightly more detail thread on the build on the local board:

http://can-amrctankclub.forumotion.ca/t ... -max#11121

But just to summarizes, I had started off with using the Clark Tk-22 with the new smaller battery that comes with the Taigen Stug III, but I couldn't get the battery as parts so I ended up with the Tk35, which is the latest Clark board for the 1/35 scale. The major difference is that Tk-35 is only 7A and not the 20A like the Tk-20s, and smoker function is disabled. When I first hook up the Tk-22 the gears and motors were too fast and not to scale speed, but with the Tk-35 it feels and moves right, but I don't know if there will be enough torque. Having said that this is not meant to be a hardcore battler so as long as it moves reasonable well I am happy. Here is the interior picture of the lower hull:
DSCN0684.JPG
As you can see, I had hope that the small battery would fit between the two hull cavity but since I couldn't get them I have to use a regular one and lean it up against the side to make it fit, and it intrudes into the main area. I have to also remove the speaker from its housing to make it fit where it is, as you know the front hull slopes quite a bit down to meet the lower hull. The receiver is a Turnigy one so it is quite huge, and I could have fit it into the bulkhead next to the speaker, but since I ended up with a Tk-35 there is now more room in the main space.

Tk-35 size solves most of the problem and I could have also use a smaller receiver as well if needed (Like a HobbyKing one for my Turnigy radio) but it creates other problem. The board is small which means all the plugs are the extra small ones (like the flash and IR plug on the Tk-22). I initially even have reservation about the voltage it would carry since Clark gives you all the connectors to the new board but they are all gauge 24/26 wires including the power feed and the motor feeds. In order to keep things transferable with my other Tk-22 boards, instead of soldering new plugs into the power/motor/MG/Light feed, I solder male JST plugs on the other end so that everything can be moved between Tk-22s and the one Tk-35:
DSCN0685.JPG
What you see here is actually the CN2 connector but it is splitted into two on the Tk-35, 3 pin one for the battle unit, and two for the programming/hit LED. Basically I did this for all the connectors I needed on the Tk-35.

Lastly, I didn't bother with elevation or rotation, but they would have to be hidden in the upper hull as there is absolutely no room on the lower. I put the recoil servo directly under the breech block as you can see in the picture.

Hope this helps, let me know if there is something specific and I will take more pictures.

MichaelC.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hello micheal... just wondering (after reading your last post) why don't you use a lipo in this? I have a 7.4 that is waffer thin..not even a half inch when stacked...and maybe only 3.5 inches in length...it would fit easily in that space you have

ALPHA
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

ALPHA,

I have considered using different kind of batteries (like Lipo) that are of smaller form factors, but the cost of the new battery/charger etc would have been more than the Tk35 itself which I got for $80 Cdn. That's really the only reason. Just didn't want to get into a new and different battery setup just for this baby. Besides, one can always use an extra Clark board........

Michael.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

MichaelC wrote:ALPHA,

I have considered using different kind of batteries (like Lipo) that are of smaller form factors, but the cost of the new battery/charger etc would have been more than the Tk35 itself which I got for $80 Cdn. That's really the only reason. Just didn't want to get into a new and different battery setup just for this baby. Besides, one can always use an extra Clark board........

Michael.
Ah... that's a good sensible reason... that waffer LIPO was about 30 US... and the charger about the same...I don't use the fancy one..it's prone to starting fires... the simple balance charger works perfectly... seen them on EBAY running around 4.00 to 25 US
they look like this
http://www.evike.com/products/41649/
I got mine locally here in Hawaii... so I paid retail...if you have any airsoft shops were you are you might be able to locate the battery for a better price... I call them waffer ...but the real term is "two leaf" they are very thin... not very good for airsoft don't ask me why they market them in that category... because I've found them way more useful in RC tanks
here's what those look like
this is an online airsoft shop...pretty good ... you're in Canada? ...they should be able to help if you ever decide to go in this direction
http://www.evike.com/products/38231/
mine is a 1200 mah... relatively low in comparison to normal batteries... but it packs a punch....lasts for hours once fully charged...in something like this tank probably longer ... I haven't charged mine in weeks...and yet I can still run my Panzer IV :haha: (let's just say I push the edge lol )

It might be something to consider down the road ;)

Have a good one Micheal Image

ALPHA
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

CHIEFSONN wrote:Thank you for posting this build of your Dicker Max,amazing tank. I to for the last 12+ months on and off have been putting together a Dicker Max that I am doing using a 1/35 scale dragon model as a reference to duplicate my parts as needed. I started with the stock heng long chassis and correct the errors made with the position of the drive sprockets, and the rear return rollers. I then removed the battery box and all its cross supports. I then framed the inside with aluminum to stiffen her. the motors /gear boxes were replaced with low profile asiatam gears with tamiya electric motors mounted to a steel plate measured and fitted in place. I replaced the idlers using asiatams adjustable type with some modifications. the suspension was replaced again using asiatam steel wheels return rollers and supports along with the metal suspension I had plans to also use the clark board for my electronics of choice,so if you don't mind in me asking where did you hide it all ,that is of course the clark board and receiver, battery,servo,on/off switch etc. information regarding this would be kindly appreciated.
thank you
CHIEFSONN, with the Asiatam metal lower I don't have to clear cross support/battery compartment (as there are none), and it comes with all metal boggies/suspension/return rollers as well as idler tensioner. What I couldn't do is move the position of the sprocket and relocate the last return roller (I could but it would involve major body work). So there are the pluses and minuses........

MichaelC
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

That's an asiatam hull? :O Thought their quality control would be of a higher degree.... that's a serious warp on the left side of the hull 8O

ALPHA

Return to “Panzer IV”