Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
streetfighterjeff
Sergeant

Re: Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

Post by streetfighterjeff »

looks good sax, something a bit different.
only here for a good time, not a long time
HL King Tiger
Torro Tiger I
ruben2005
Sergeant

Post by ruben2005 »

:clap: great job mate look forward to seeing finished kitty.
fetch me the kitty's lets go to war
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Well,I decided the Henschel just was not ever going to look the part for me,after talking with Ken lately as he painted his King Tigers I decided to start over,and in a base coat of XF-60 and some shadowing detailing,and some patience.

Here is the tank as of late this afternoon,their is much left to do but I think this is a good start?

Tamiya Henschel King Tiger base color
Tamiya Henschel King Tiger base color
Rear deck details
Rear deck details
Turret details
Turret details
Tamiya Henschel Repaint XF-60 006.JPG[/attachment I do not have very much Tank time these days,but this is a better path for this King Tiger as the Oil Based camo was really not getting the "LOOK" I had intended,It has been expensive to shift to Tamiya Paints after years of using Testors Model Master,but the easy clean up and very forgiving way the acrylics spray has helped me to improve my skills. Thanks Reaper for the advice and the guidance.[attachment=0]Tamiya Henschel Repaint XF-60 019.JPG
Attachments
Good shot of the Tamiya Zimmerite film coating
Good shot of the Tamiya Zimmerite film coating
Frontal view
Frontal view
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

I thinks it's a great start.the pre shading looks smack on.
Drammen Rock City
ruben2005
Sergeant

Post by ruben2005 »

:wave: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: very nice kitty mate love the paint job, opening hatches i know what that feels like doing them,just out of curiosity what colour will the tracks be mate?.i would be proud of a job like yours mate well done keep the pics coming
fetch me the kitty's lets go to war
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Thanks Guys, Ken Has sent me some excellent pictures of washes and the effect on his Porsche which started this repaint episode. As for the tracks hopefully I can weather this set like the set on Alb s Porsche which were a bit on the rusty side but to me look very real,a good bit of wear on the contact points yet weathered well on the other surfaces.

Each Tank gets better,considering this is only the 6th tank i have ever painted I'm well pleased.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Some progress on the Henschel of late,the wheels are painted an weathered although I feel a bit more is needed. The hull both main and fenders are sealed with the x-21 flat base mixture,25% x-21 25%alcohol and 50% Floor shine clear polish.

I am well pleased with this effort so far,the previous attempt being a burden and a failure to achieve a realistic scheme.

I am open to suggestion concerning the CAMO SCHEME and wish to do something different and unique,all suggestions will be helpful and appreciated,I have looked through many,many pictures and drawings of King Tigers and yet to find a pattern I am comfortable with,this is my 5th tank and it seems every one has been either stripped and restarted or painted twice.

Yet with each one I have through experience and example from other members gained new skills and understanding. Well enough words,some pictures.
Wheels with some weathering
Wheels with some weathering
wheels with some weathering
wheels with some weathering
Wheels after weathering
Wheels after weathering
Base coat finished and sealed
Base coat finished and sealed
Overhead view showing the shadowing effect,more will follow
Overhead view showing the shadowing effect,more will follow
Rear plate requires more weathering and some of the finer details yet a good base coat so far
Rear plate requires more weathering and some of the finer details yet a good base coat so far
mustclime
Sergeant

Post by mustclime »

camo ideas?.....different?......

[
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Guys I have been worried over this tank,and the paintwork.The base coat has come out so well I am reluctant to screw it up.

So I have taken a break,during which time I repainted my oldest and first tank an Early Tiger I in gray. But now back to this project and perhaps Kens suggested color scheme?Thanks Ken.

The thing that gets me is the overhead view,the one view almost never provided in drawings?
Trojka_12_Pz_VIAusf_B_Tiger_II_Part_I_Page_134.jpg
Trojka_12_Pz_VIAusf_B_Tiger_II_Part_I_Page_134.jpg (58.27 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Trojka_12_Pz_VIAusf_B_Tiger_II_Part_I_Page_135.jpg
Trojka_12_Pz_VIAusf_B_Tiger_II_Part_I_Page_135.jpg (73.02 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
Reaper332
Corporal

Post by Reaper332 »

Thats alright mate, glad I could help. As for the overhead the front and back shots kind of give you a bit of an idea and I think seeing as though there is no overhead view it lends itself to being done how or what you think looks best.
Thats my opion none of us where there when the real one was painted to say otherwise..

Return to “Tamiya Builds”