how to modify a HL smoke block

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

how to modify a HL smoke block

Post by tiger205 »

hi guys,
            this is my smoke block, that i modified, i was frustrated that it didnt put out much smoke and the element kept breaking, first thing i done was to replace the element with a better one, i bought some "proops" foam hot wire cutting elements, from ebay, i also threw the wick away, the wick in the smoke block is way to big for the size of the element in the smoker, i used the wick from a zippo lighter, after taking out the wire from the zippo wick, with this done i tested it and the smoke out of it was impressive, now, instead of using the piston pump whats on the smoker, i binned it with the gears driving it, i then bought a 12mm 3 blade brass propellor and glued it on the end of the motor shaft which used to drive the pump, i then glued the motor and prop' where the piston used to go leaving an air gap.
i did try drilling the hole out bigger that the air goes through, but i found its best to leave it the standard size, my smoker is the proportional type, and with it just hooked up to a battery it smoked really well, if i had hooked up the wires that go to the motors it would of put out even more smoke, here is a video clip to show you the smoke out put http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k206/ ... 0006-4.flv the only other thing i got done was to get nigel to change a couple of resistors on the little circuit board on the smoker, this is because the elements i used run on 4.5v, and i got nigel to put resistors in so it ran on 5.5v. i think this way of modifiying the smoker is the most efficient way to do it, and most compact, you dont need any fans stuck to the end of it, just a propellor, i used a 3 bladed one, but i think a 4 bladed one would work much better, here is a few photos to show you the smoker, i hope this helps you to make a good reliable smoker

Tony 8)
Last edited by tiger205 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
grompix
Sergeant

Re: how to modify a HL smoke block

Post by grompix »

That's a really good idea Tony. I've got a couple of HL smokers that have never worked (even when new) so I must have a go at doing something similar to your mod.
Thanks for posting that.
Chris
;D

Return to “Tips and Tricks”