Speed controlers

Discuss your radio gear here!
10 horse mclaren
Recruit

Speed controlers

Post by 10 horse mclaren »

HI
After reading the replies concerning using a better electronics set up I have started looking at the speed controlers used in rc cars. I can get a pair of 20 amp speed controlers for brushed motors for not much more than £30. Add a hobby radio and the cost is still reasonable.
Is there a way to put two of these in a HL tank using a hobby radio (2.4ghz) and get the same one stick controle that the HL radio gives? Im not worried about the gun function as I can see a way to do that using servos operating micro switches, same for the turret rotation.
Im thinking the mixers I read about could be the answer but im not sure.

Cheers
xrad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Speed controlers

Post by xrad »

you could wire them directly to the rx18 board at the pre-amp outputs(4)...someone posted a schematic a while back..don;t remember where...don;t remember if these are pull to ground either..

or you need a step down and current direction circuit to interface the HL high current output to your SC's...

There are some great robotic units that have F/R and 2 track operation and will interface with Futaba receiver..
10 horse mclaren
Recruit

Post by 10 horse mclaren »

Thanks Xrad, but my intention is eventualy to junk all the HL electronics and just use a Futaba radio or one of the decent makes.
Ill have a look at the robotic sites.

Cheers
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Check out the vendors section on this site, maybe you can find what you need.
http://rctankcombat.com/links.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twelvebears
Recruit

Post by twelvebears »

As I think you're UK based, I'd recommend one of the products here:

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The beauty is that the mixers here will mean that you don't get the totally unrealistic 'spin turn' because the most they will do (apart from the combined ESC and mixer which can do either) is to slow the inside motor during a turn rather than reversing it.

Blocking the 'super spin' is one thing I really want to do on mine because a) few tanks could actually do it (though modern ones often can) and even then it was a bad idea because of the strain it placed on the transmission

Return to “Radio Gear”