pershing wheels

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Dragon245
Corporal

pershing wheels

Post by Dragon245 »

How do you get pershing road wheels off the suspension arms? :S
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Re: pershing wheels

Post by fv432 »

very very carefully 8O 8O

There isnt an easy option for this but: i have got them off of a bulldog using wd40 to destroy the glue around the rims and carefully prise them apart (i did break 2 out of 8 :crazy: )
Dragon245
Corporal

Post by Dragon245 »

cheers rob will give it a try
xrad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by xrad »

sheeesh...when did the Pershing come out???
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

I used the WD40 method and offer one warning: go carefully and only use a little bit at a time. It softens the glue, but it also softens the plastic in the wheel. I cracked one road wheel. I've glued it back to together and drilled out the wheel bolts to use 0-80 screws and nuts to hold the wheels together instead of glue. So, we'll see how that works.

Key is that the two wheels are glued into each other via a flange on the inner wheel that extends into the outer wheel. Or, is it the other way around? I forget. FV432's Bulldog build has some more tips for this.
Rocketman
Sergeant

Post by Rocketman »

Just get a chuffing great flat nose screw driver and tear em off, chuck em in the bin then replace em with the Tamiya rubber rimmed ones :D
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

Rocketman wrote:Just get a chuffing great flat nose screw driver and tear em off, chuck em in the bin then replace em with the Tamiya rubber rimmed ones :D
Are they a direct fit on HL's swing arms? Essentially how much work is it to trade the HL road wheels for Tamiya's?
Rocketman
Sergeant

Post by Rocketman »

sorry for the slow response.

Kindo of.

Once the old wheels are off you can offer up the tamiya ones to the axles. First thing you need to do is sand a bit off the diameter of the axles to allow the tamiya ones onto them. BTW you need the bearings fitted into the \Tamiya wheels. Next thing you will fins is that the tamiya wheels sit too far back and foul the suspension arms. To stop this either fit washers or a second set of wheel bearings behind the Tamiya wheel. After that its just a case of put the hen long screw back into the axle and refit the front of the wheel and your done.

Im in the middle of going this now so will post pics when done.

rckt

Return to “General Discussion”