GWS F4 Cub gets a brushless motor upgrade

This section is for all of you who would like to discuss your RC aircraft!
modler
Sergeant

GWS F4 Cub gets a brushless motor upgrade

Post by modler »

Spring 2024 is here and this time of year I put my efforts into R\C flying. The Tanks and military models rest for a while unless they can run outside in my garden :D

A little about the F4 Cub. Electric power with ~800-1500mAh 2s lipo. Brushed motor with a gearbox with various gear ratios Wingspan ~40'', under cambered wing "slow flyer" 3 channels. No ailerons as it is designed to be a simple easy to fly plane that I operate with landing gear on pavement.
Steering via tailwheel allows taxi on pavement and bare ground. I usually sit in a folding chair while flying it and Taxi it to the ROG area and after the flight of up to 30 minutes or longer depending on the lipo used, I taxi it back to where I am seated. People say to me that it "Flies like a bird"

ROG's are its specialty with scale like take off and landings that when people see it do those things they are amazed at how realistic it does them. They often clap and say wow, that was a sweet landing! I put on a air show yesterday with 3 GWS plans for three ladies in the neighborhood who brought their elderly wheelchair bound mother to watch the show :D

I have been flying these GWS cuds since 2007. IMO, these "cubs" are the best R\C planes available, (I have 5 of them). I decided to upgrade to a brushless inrunner on the one in this thread

First motor tested was a GWS Ducted Fan motor that I installed in a GWS gearbox with "C" ratio gear with 10.47 prop.

Worked very well on the test flight but Telemetry reading of current draw from the small lipo used was too high (6 amps @ medium throttle) from a 2s 1300 pack. Overpowered and short flight time but other than that worked well.

Next I will try a Bm2410-08 BL outrunner which should be be in the 2-3 amp medium throttle range.
Attachments
Waiting for the wind to stop.
Waiting for the wind to stop.
IMG_1073.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 118 times
motor swap complete
motor swap complete
IMG_1075.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 118 times
Passed static motor test, ready for test flight.
Passed static motor test, ready for test flight.
IMG_1076.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 118 times
modler
Sergeant

Re: GWS F4 Cub gets a brushless motor upgrade

Post by modler »

Motor swap complete :D
Attachments
looks good to me
looks good to me
IMG_1079.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 94 times
right and down thrust angles look good. motor location same as original so motor cowl can be installed
right and down thrust angles look good. motor location same as original so motor cowl can be installed
IMG_1080.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 94 times
GWS 10.47 prop installed
GWS 10.47 prop installed
IMG_1081.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 94 times
IMG_1083.jpg
IMG_1083.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 94 times
Motor swapped and tested.
Motor swapped and tested.
IMG_1082.jpg (489.4 KiB) Viewed 94 times
waiting for the wind to stop.
waiting for the wind to stop.
IMG_1084.jpg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 94 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Without ailerons, does the Cub just do a lot of side slipping when you use the rudder?
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:31 pm Without ailerons, does the Cub just do a lot of side slipping when you use the rudder?
Good afternoon Herr Dr. No the wing has a dihedral which gives the plane self leveling in the ROLL AXIS. The rudder then acts like a Aileron (up to a point). Not able to do rolls but rudder (Yaw AXIS) effectively acts as a aileron control for most control applications. The planes has excellent control and can is capable of very relist flight including ROG and landings on pavement with landing gear.

Oh I am now using a direct drive inrunner that is very fuel efficient. (can fly 30 minutes) I just got in from flying the Cub and had company in the sky @ 175', 5 Eagles flew with me in a CW circular pattern for several minutes.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I have often thought of trying RC flying, but I am already overdoing hobbies and curtailing expense because my home is in the "everything is wearing out after 34 years" stage. :problem: I do happen to know about flying, as I studied the physics of it as a teenager while in the Civil Air Patrol. Sigh...to be young again. :think: maybe not...
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:34 pm I have often thought of trying RC flying, but I am already overdoing hobbies and curtailing expense because my home is in the "everything is wearing out after 34 years" stage. :problem: I do happen to know about flying, as I studied the physics of it as a teenager while in the Civil Air Patrol. Sigh...to be young again. :think: maybe not...
Yes the key to flying R\C is understanding the basics of aeronautics. 3 axis of control with throttle is what its all about. I have been flying the same planes for 20 years now. It never gets old to me. The part I like the most is the Take off and landing on pavement. It's a beautiful and interesting thing to watch I am told by observers.

The first step to flying is to get a simulator Transmitter and some Real Flight software and learn to fly on a computer screen. Repairs and a bit easier with a push of the reset button ;)

Return to “RC Aircraft”