C 47 Skytrain - Misirlou

Non-RC planes can be posted here, however big or small!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

C 47 Skytrain - Misirlou

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi there, some of you know that I have been working in a plane for a very long time. Well, it is finally ready for action.

You can read my thoughts, more pics as well as see it in action in my website: https://radindustries.wordpress.com/202 ... -misirlou/

I believe it is worth to see and hear it, because one of our forum members lend me his voice for the custom sounds!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jarndice
Colonel

Re: C 47 Skytrain - Misirlou

Post by jarndice »

Nice one Rad,
I have a soft spot for the Dakota/C47, I flew in a Royal Nepalese Airlines DC3 From Biratnagar to Katmandu in the 60s,It was a flight that started with an element of uncertainty,
My seat belt would not lock, we were served tea and cakes in china cups and saucers and plates but the seats had no drop down trays!! I put my cakes into a sick bag only to discover the previous occupant had already used it :sick: then came the floor show,
The flight engineer closed the cockpit door actually he didn't although by using his shoulder he tried to, The door fell off so it was stowed against the buklhead which gave us a panoramic view of the Himalayas through the cockpit windows :thumbup:
After all that it was a nice flight,
What does your Dac fly like Rad it sure looks airworthy does it have Retracts ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Terrific build! Lights look great (and not a disco) they seem to have scale like power. Those retracts are pretty cool. And finally, I agree with your flight decisions. I've had more flight time with cars and boats than successful attempts with powered flight (I did do OK with two channel gliders).
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

jarndice wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:56 am Nice one Rad,
I have a soft spot for the Dakota/C47, I flew in a Royal Nepalese Airlines DC3 From Biratnagar to Katmandu in the 60s,It was a flight that started with an element of uncertainty,
My seat belt would not lock, we were served tea and cakes in china cups and saucers and plates but the seats had no drop down trays!! I put my cakes into a sick bag only to discover the previous occupant had already used it :sick: then came the floor show,
The flight engineer closed the cockpit door actually he didn't although by using his shoulder he tried to, The door fell off so it was stowed against the buklhead which gave us a panoramic view of the Himalayas through the cockpit windows :thumbup:
After all that it was a nice flight,
What does your Dac fly like Rad it sure looks airworthy does it have Retracts ?
Hi mate, lol nice story with that trip!
I flew in one a couple of times in Venezuela. Those planes were in a more than a sorry state. In fact, the plane, in the flight after mine, broke one engine mid flight. Go and figure...

I encourage you to read the entry on my website, because I described the flying capabilities of the model, and you can also see some videos including the retracts working.
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Ecam wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am Terrific build! Lights look great (and not a disco) they seem to have scale like power. Those retracts are pretty cool. And finally, I agree with your flight decisions. I've had more flight time with cars and boats than successful attempts with powered flight (I did do OK with two channel gliders).
I'd definitelly keep my feet on the ground. The Panzers look safer :D :D
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Cool :)
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Your C47 is
Tony the Tiger.jpg
Tony the Tiger.jpg (249.7 KiB) Viewed 147 times
I could go ape :poop: over it. Now I am going to be jealous all day, all weekend, maybe longer.

Standing ovation :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Great story, jarndice: compared to the fun and, unh, excitement of the prop planes, I find today's jet travel boring. However, when I do get to travel, it's not on my dime, so I keep my mouth shut (which restraint is not easy for me. :D ).
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

When cleaning the phone I found an old pic of the plane innards that some of you might find interesting.

When I had the plane ready for action and I was doing the last test prior to taking videos, one of the motors failed. My pilot, Mr Jimster, saw it comming as he announced in one of those audio files the plane plays, lol. So I had to dismantle most of the plane and replaced it.

Once it was open I decided to replace the supermegacheap ESC (The yelllow one) with a better quality one (that 40A) I had at home. I took this pic not for anything special, my mother asked me what was I doing and I sent her this pic of a work in progress state.

You have no idea how frustrating was to route all those wires through that center part of the wing. Those squared holes in the center weren't there, and unless you have X-rays for eyes, you cannot see what you are doing, where are the wires going or if you are cutting a critic part.

Jesus, I feel so relieved of finishing it, lol.
Attachments
photo_2024-04-15_10-57-53.jpg
photo_2024-04-15_10-57-53.jpg (202.57 KiB) Viewed 102 times

Return to “Planes”