Is a UV Top Coat commonly used?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Champagne
Recruit

Is a UV Top Coat commonly used?

Post by Champagne »

Greetings, a member of the RC Tank Community recommended me to use MR.Super Clear UV Clear top coat for my upcoming Panther tank project.
I'd like to ask if such a UV top coat is necessary for heavy outdoor use in the sun. Moreover, is it common practice to apply a top coat on most RC tank models?
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Is a UV Top Coat commonly used?

Post by Kaczor »

It depends on you. For example, my tanks sit in crates most of the time and see sunlight a few times a year.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I would say a UV faded tank is more representative of the tank. When I use my tanks outside, I never clean the outside. It just makes them look used like a tank is. Tanks are not typically pristine unless they are sitting in a museum and even then they end up with a big layer of dust on them. I've never put a UV coating on it...only flat varnish for the finishing.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

tankme wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:43 pm I would say a UV faded tank is more representative of the tank. When I use my tanks outside, I never clean the outside. It just makes them look used like a tank is. Tanks are not typically pristine unless they are sitting in a museum and even then they end up with a big layer of dust on them. I've never put a UV coating on it...only flat varnish for the finishing.
This would be my answer. When I model tanks for wargaming or display, hell, when I model any kind of military vehicle, I tend to avoid show room floor looks. Call it crawling around too many tanks or getting too close to pre-dreadnought photos, but I've just never seen a vehicle or war machine - Roman Onager to T-64BV, in pristine color. I've developed my weathering skills over time, and while I won't claim to be the world's best, my opinion is that faded paint, rust, dirt, mud, and sweat, breathe life into a tank, if that makes any sense? The same certainly applies to warships. I read an account from an American Civil War era military officer (can't remember which one) who said, essentially, that the moment a ship touches the water the wood starts to rot and the iron starts to rust. I've read accounts of hulls painted black as midnight fading to charcoal grey within a week, and Italian tanks beginning something like a dark yellow mustard ending in a faded khaki.

Anyway, no, I wouldn't fear it. I -do- seal things to keep a paintjob intact, and the one exception I'd make with insisting upon a UV sealer would be for something that was a particularly bright white (for example, say, A warship with white uppers), because modern hobby paints can bleach to yellow if not properly protected. However, the way around that would be to use an off-white anyway, since it wouldn't stay white to begin with.

I'd say the same thing with anything that's bare white resin or plastic (for whatever reason.)

Hope this helps, anyway. :)
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.

Return to “General Questions”