Stug iii won't respond to hand controller

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
robhayhurst
Recruit

Stug iii won't respond to hand controller

Post by robhayhurst »

Hello. I picked up a few tanks recently and got them all mostly repaired or running. Most needed new batteries or gearboxes. I have this stug however that lights up but won't respond to transmitter. It is the ir version with a rx 18 and crystal reciever card. It has a no 1 crystal in the card slot in battery comparment. I only have no 2s in my working tanks and put that in. Nothing. The tank.light flashes. My question is does it have to have 2 no 1 crystals or is the main board or reciever card gone? I'm a novice here with these and would really appreciate some advice or help. Here's what works, my hand held transmitter is good, has a number 2 crystal installed. Works on 2 walkers I have. Stug light flashes and battery is strong. I put a known good no 2 crystal and nothing
Shotek
Private

Re: Stug iii won't respond to hand controller

Post by Shotek »

Hi Rob,
not expert on RX18 here, but AFAIK the crystals should be same number to be able to find each other on the same frequency...

Pls, correct me somebody if I'm wrong...
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Good evening,
on the old HL cards you need two crystals with the same number, and respect the order RX on the receiver and TX on the transmitter, also check that the support does not have bad contacts, or bad welding?
attached photo of the RX part
797B53DB-1D65-4273-9F82-3B319CA5F7D9.jpeg
797B53DB-1D65-4273-9F82-3B319CA5F7D9.jpeg (14.63 KiB) Viewed 678 times
robhayhurst
Recruit

Post by robhayhurst »

Thanks, I have 2 2s, 1 1.. does the number correspond to different tanks or just incremental freq differences? I assume then if my 2 no 2s should work the something arie on the card or rx18. Ill.clran terminals.and try again. If not I see the mainboard and reciever card are available still thanks
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

As long as the crystal in the front of the transmitter is of the same number as that under the tank, the transmitter can communicate with the tank's receiver. As Jofaur say, turn on the transmitter first and then the tank. (True for any transmitter and tank).

The differing numbers correspond to slightly different frequencies so one can have two RX18 transmitters with different numbered crystals and two tanks with corresponding crystals operating near one another without interference.

If corresponding numbered crystals don't work, look for some obvious disconnection. Keep us informed.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello,Her Professor, summed up the function very well :D
indeed the numbers correspond to a defined frequency. 2 on TX transmitter and 2 on RX receiver otherwise will not work. it's the same for couples 1 or 3 do not mix. Also be careful not to drop a quartz, otherwise HS. Can also do the tests with a reception plate that works, also if nothing happens? do the same with the control board
PS: I insist on respecting 2TX transmitter and 2 RX receiver!!!
robhayhurst
Recruit

Post by robhayhurst »

Great suggestion, thanks
robhayhurst
Recruit

Post by robhayhurst »

Good news update! Well I got a set of new no 1 Crystals and put them in. Started up and ran, now time to upgrade. I'm not sure why no 2 Crystal's didnt in the stug, but work in the walker bulldog. I'm not gonna scratch my head over it though, just move on woohoo. Thanks for the advice and tips
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

:thumbup: great, then, the main thing is that it works again, but weird that it worked on another model ?

Return to “Heng Long”