Ludwig Lowe build

Up to the end of WWII.
a65l
Recruit

Ludwig Lowe build

Post by a65l »

I've got a thread going over on RC universe for this as well, but I'll catch up here. One of my favorite premiums on a fairly well known video game. Of course it comes as all Ludwig kits do, lots of flat sheets and some castings. And a big-assed gun barrel. After some cleaning up and much filing, all the parts fit together extremly well! There is a little bending involved, as well. The only issue I ran into was that the slots milled in the lower hull to fit the torsion bar anchor pieces were a little narrow.

All the metal pieces of the hull fit together extremely well! It was necessary to file the radii off the corners and massage the slots, but that's expected. I spent a few days mulling over how to join the hull, I eventually settled on doing Aluminum brazing. I bought the Bernzomatic brand brazing rods off Amazon. NO flux necessary, and they seemed to provide a good solid joint. I did crack a couple while flexing teh hull afterwards to try and remove a warp, but I don't th ink there's going to be any issue in actual use. I think I would have preferred to have external flux, and if I do this again I think I'll find some. Can't hurt. You do need to be carefull with the heat, as MAPP gas produces enough heat to melt the aluminum, and if you have any of the Tamiya white metal castings anywhere near they'll melt as well. The real trick was figuring out how to hold it all together during the process. I used copper wire, which is what may have produced my warp. Now that I've done it once I think if I do another one i have a better plan.

It does produce nice looking beads...

but it's not immune to operator error. Gotta get the temp high enough, but not too high. Trick is to just keep checking. heat for a bit, rub with the rod... you'll know when it's right.

The torsion bar anchors. I did have to drill the holes out just a hair to clear the swingarm ends.

Nice warp, eh? I don't think it will affect anything, so I'll just leave it...

That's a big assed turret. Looks even bigger now....

Some plastic bits glued together. I still need to source turret rotation/recoil stuff. I have some Impact gearboxes for it, and I'm thinking about going to SGS for a control unit. Although.. I hvae a couple Tamiya DMD 01's that would work, and a DasMikro sound card... might just cobble something together.

The rear bearing on the r/h side needs some dramatic modifications, as there is only one hole to hold it.... All the bearings needed modification, th ough. Due to the side plates being roughly 4x as thick as the Tamiya hull, the swing arms wouldn't go through far enough to allow the bayonet tabs to clear. So, I put them (the bgearings) on the grinder and thinned them down. Wound up being just about 0.15 that needed to be removed. I could have modified the swing arms themselves, but the bearing were a whole lot easier to do.
A little nonsense now and then
Is treasured by the wisest men
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Ludwig Lowe build

Post by Raminator »

Neat work with the brazing, it looks like a great way to bond the aluminium plates. The build's coming along nicely, it's going to be a hell of a beast when it's done!
a65l
Recruit

Post by a65l »

Spent a little time in the shop the other night. Gathered up all the running gear and such. Somehow, one of the track adjusters escaped during shipping, and should be on the way. I need to source some small nuts/bolts to attach them, any suggestions would be welcome. I wound up short exactly one spacer for the outer wheels... good thing I have some brass tubing lying around. Next step is to mount the impact gearboxes, and make a relief for the lower gears in the mounting plate. I'm a little unsure how I"m going to do the mounting, as the plate is supposed to be bonded to the torsion bar supports, and of course the gearboxes bolt to it. As it stands, I don't really have access from the underside to get to the mountng bolts. I may just use spacers and mount directly to the lower hull. Ah, the joys of a partial custom build... Anyway, quick pic then back to work:

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I don't remember if you are in the US or across the pond, but this is a US source: https://model-motorcars.myshopify.com/c ... s-hardware

They bought Scale Hardware's business. They took a long time to ship. Transit time was on like 4 days, but it took them like 3 weeks to actually put my order in the mail.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
a65l
Recruit

Post by a65l »

That's the stuff! Thanks!
Shotek
Private

Post by Shotek »

I am following your brazing with interest, because I also did some experiments some time ago and I remember one thing - it was difficult for me to heat the Alu parts to the right temperature and at the same time not to melt them...
Anyway, your results look very promising!
Such hull must be undestructible for sure, very nice work so far indeed..
:clap:

Return to “Other”