WWII Halftrack obsesion...1/35 > RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

WWII Halftrack obsesion...1/35 > RRC

Post by modler »

When I was a kid, WWI,WWII movies were very popular as were prime time TV war series, whenever a half track appeared, it would get my attention and I thought man, I would love to have one of those! Well, you can but on a smaller scale lol and thus is the beginning of my obsession with anything Semi Tracked. I have been at this for many moons and I will present some of my efforts in this Semi Track adventure. Now do not expect pretty because I only recently have been able to add that property to my HT efforts ;)

I will start with some older efforts from 30 years ago. They are still in process! I recently did more work to these early efforts.

Warning! Some of the following models may shock you with the Frankenstein like qualities, the 1/35 scale Semi Track models are very difficult to motorize unless they came that way. I have one that is factory motorized and it may look pretty but the home brewed models outperform it as far as turning radius is concerned which to me is very important.
Attachments
oh look, this goes here!
oh look, this goes here!
Testers donar model from the drugstore.
Testers donar model from the drugstore.
IMG_4254.JPG (82.51 KiB) Viewed 780 times
How convenient, this road wheel suspension is easily removable with one screw!
How convenient, this road wheel suspension is easily removable with one screw!
IMG_4253.JPG (78.37 KiB) Viewed 780 times
Went from toy rubber track (left) to scale flexible plastic track just yesterday! I was embarrassed to even show this model here with that none scale rubber track.
Went from toy rubber track (left) to scale flexible plastic track just yesterday! I was embarrassed to even show this model here with that none scale rubber track.
IMG_4249.JPG (73.26 KiB) Viewed 799 times
This is the duplicate of the gearbox I am using currently in the M3.
This is the duplicate of the gearbox I am using currently in the M3.
IMG_4248.JPG (77.19 KiB) Viewed 799 times
Original chassis. getting close to the point where I can motorized this scale chassis.It is just a matter of time.
Original chassis. getting close to the point where I can motorized this scale chassis.It is just a matter of time.
IMG_4245.JPG (73.56 KiB) Viewed 799 times
The HT on the left is a Newer Testers kit which is actually pretty cool but it will be used for parts for the 1972 Tamiya vintage model.
The HT on the left is a Newer Testers kit which is actually pretty cool but it will be used for parts for the 1972 Tamiya vintage model.
IMG_4244.JPG (98.7 KiB) Viewed 799 times
This models got crushed during a move in the 80's to Arizona. My wife said to me once, why don't you buy a new one and throw that one in the garbage? I explained it to her and what this model means to me and she said, Oh, nevermind.
This models got crushed during a move in the 80's to Arizona. My wife said to me once, why don't you buy a new one and throw that one in the garbage? I explained it to her and what this model means to me and she said, Oh, nevermind.
IMG_4243.JPG (96.5 KiB) Viewed 799 times
recently was able to get the stock Tamiya tracks to work. I am still working on the road wheel situation but it does work good and has very good track stability.
recently was able to get the stock Tamiya tracks to work. I am still working on the road wheel situation but it does work good and has very good track stability.
IMG_4242.JPG (92.67 KiB) Viewed 799 times
I built this Tamiya M3 HT model in 1984 and tried on and off for a few decades to motorize it. Finally in 2002 managed to get it moving under its own power without throwing a track every few feet.
I built this Tamiya M3 HT model in 1984 and tried on and off for a few decades to motorize it. Finally in 2002 managed to get it moving under its own power without throwing a track every few feet.
IMG_4241.JPG (81.97 KiB) Viewed 799 times
Last edited by modler on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: WWII Halftrack obsesion...> RRC

Post by jarndice »

I was serving in Germany in the early 60s and as we were coming into an Army Ordnance depot we passed a line of Half Tracks waiting to be de-commissioned,
That was the only time I saw British Army Half Tracks and in truth I was surprised they were still in service as long as the 60s,
I have a WSN/Torro M16 HT and it is one of the easiest and most satisfying Tanks/Trucks to modify,
The one thing I would say is do get the M16 specific Elmod board it really does make a massive change to it.
I shall be watching this thread very closely :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Re: WWII Halftrack obsesion...> RRC

Post by jimbo_wa »

Nice reuse of the smaller tank scales into 1/35th!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
modler
Sergeant

Re: WWII Halftrack obsesion...1/35 > RRC

Post by modler »

I am working on a Hanomag Halftrack today...Started this model in 1984 and thought I could make it RRC lol.. well it has taken a while and I think finally it will get done and look pretty close to scale...at least enemy silhouette standards lol 8O

I have had many different drive setups on this model but none looks scale or even close to scale due to the unique road wheel offset pattern of this and all German Half tracks.

You are not likely to see this 1/35 Hanomag model as a Radio Remote control model or even simple single motor "motorized" because it is impossible to do on this small scale and complicated staggered road wheel configuration.

This is a twin motor configuration with 1 motor per track wired in series to emulate a live axle. With a single motor driving both tracks, the steering would be very poor.

Still working on the track chassis but this is closer than it has ever been.I am tired of working on it for now so and will work on something else for a while. I will do a video of it running on the table asap.
Attachments
Half track fleet so far..
Half track fleet so far..
IMG_4312.JPG (77.23 KiB) Viewed 693 times
I am using this Century 1/18 Hanomag RRC model as a build reference for the Tamiya 1/35 model.
I am using this Century 1/18 Hanomag RRC model as a build reference for the Tamiya 1/35 model.
IMG_4309.JPG (73.4 KiB) Viewed 694 times
you can see the difference from this picture of the previous chassis work. The tracks were unstable with this configuration as well.
you can see the difference from this picture of the previous chassis work. The tracks were unstable with this configuration as well.
IMG_4290.JPG (66.86 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Latest chassis improvement includes moving the rear idler wheel up higher than the road wheels. The drive sprocket is also a bit higher than the road wheels and looks more like the correct stock position. So Drive sprocket and idler moved up higher than the road wheels now.
Latest chassis improvement includes moving the rear idler wheel up higher than the road wheels. The drive sprocket is also a bit higher than the road wheels and looks more like the correct stock position. So Drive sprocket and idler moved up higher than the road wheels now.
Completely redone the track chassis
Completely redone the track chassis
IMG_4293 (1).JPG (96.32 KiB) Viewed 714 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military”