HL King Tiger Zimmerit/Tiger 1 Fixingfor Metal Tracks Cheap

MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: HL King Tiger Zimmerit/Tiger 1 Fixingfor Metal Tracks Ch

Post by MichaelC »

Marc, am I crazy or the picture you had of the zim is actually for the Henschel turret and not the Porsche turret ?

MichaelC.
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

Mike before I ordered the Atak I did actually double checked what turret i had on the airsoft/HL KT, Henschel the one they only made 50 of is what the turret is, so using my powers of google fu eyeballed it, id'ed it and then just ordered that from Forgebear. I do get the turrets mixed up with the names frankly so it's possible I could have made a mistake or perhaps got sent the wrong one? Even though the critical piece would surely be the outside of the breech area of the gun, so far as I could tell that is how it's supposed to fit. If it looks wrong that would be my clumsy fitting more then anything i suppose. But now you mention it another thing makes me suspect you might be right, with the Atak there were a few small pieces of the precut zim, one shaped like big goggles or a tow hook, and a couple small rectangle shaped, left over when I was done. With no empty spaces on the tank to put them...and that can't be how it's supposed to be, unless those extra pieces are just included with both sets, for simplicity.
If there were any mistakes, I think i've gone too far anyway at this point to redo anything without redoing it all.. so as far as zimmerit goes, I think i'm done with this kitty.
Marc780
Corporal

Rear Hull Securing Mount-Mad Scientist Mod Category

Post by Marc780 »

And in the "Mad Scientist" Mod Category, my entry

I tried magnets for mounting the hull but the usual problems with them-too weak and they're useless. too strong magnets and they are bulky, heavy, and they pull loose from their glue mounts within a short time. Everything metal in the hull gets pulled on to them etc. etc. I decided to try this rear hull mount on my tiger, it's self explanatory mostly.

I used a long screw and a bunch of washers, a nut and a spring. The spring does not need to be strong, it is just to keep the screw more or less pointed straight to help you guide it in the mount holes. I thought to just glue the screw in and simply use it as a stud-but then you have no wiggle room, literally, to get the screw through the studs. The holes in the bracket are just wide enough for the screw and there has to be two holes or the rear hull has play.

I plan to glue the jack mount over the screw head to hide it, and to use as a handle-but for that I am going to need a longer screw I think.

The screw goes through this metal bracket and holds the hull on. i know it's ugly-I went a bit overboard on the Gorilla glue alright. Going to scrape that away or some such even if i have to use the dremel to clean it up-it's a boily gluey mess of an eyesore.

At first the idea was to pull the screw out, like a latch, then drop the hull down, and release the screw to go through the holes in the bracket. As it happens there is now not enough room to pull the screw back far enough to do it that way. So I just guide the bracket holes over the screw, til it goes through both the holes, and drop the front of the hull down (a magnet holds the front).
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

:clap: Interesting concept Mark...the theory looks good... I would say the one problem you might run into is pulling on the jack to activate the release...but that's from looking at it here.... as I'm not sure if you took that into consideration already ;)

ALPHA
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Looks great man good work! BTW thats the Porsche turret.
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

ALPHA wrote::clap: Interesting concept Mark...the theory looks good... I would say the one problem you might run into is pulling on the jack to activate the release...but that's from looking at it here.... as I'm not sure if you took that into consideration already ;)

ALPHA
Well to remove the hull, i just pull it up at the front, up and off. The spring does not function as a latch like i thought it would, it just keeps the screw from falling down and being harder to put in the hole. To install you just have to line up the bracket, with the screw and get the pin to go through both holes. Then drop the hull front on and that's all there is to it.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Marc780 wrote:
ALPHA wrote::clap: Interesting concept Mark...the theory looks good... I would say the one problem you might run into is pulling on the jack to activate the release...but that's from looking at it here.... as I'm not sure if you took that into consideration already ;)

ALPHA
Well to remove the hull, i just pull it up at the front, up and off. The spring does not function as a latch like i thought it would, it just keeps the screw from falling down and being harder to put in the hole. To install you just have to line up the bracket, with the screw and get the pin to go through both holes. Then drop the hull front on and that's all there is to it.
HMMMMMMMMMMMM... does it put any stress on the upper...seems like it would... but like I said it's hard to tell from a voyeurs point ;)

ALPHA
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by greengiant »

This is a very late answer to the question of the 2 small pieces of the zim kit you had left. They go on the little curved areas in front of the driver and co drivers periscopes.
The set I ordered did not come with zim pieces to put on the gun mantle of the one piece gun but with a mantle already zimmerited and with the long straight recoil housing ( no end cap though) like that used with the two piece barrel that most of the Porsche turrets were switched to even as they entered battle following the D Day invasion.

Return to “King Tiger”