Effects of metal gears

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
orckhan
Recruit

Effects of metal gears

Post by orckhan »

I recently bought and installed metal gears below. They seem pretty heavy comparing to nylon ones. Are they going to make my tank bulkier and slower? Motors seem to be the same. Would they help to tackle over obstacles that demand higher torque?
Also, should I grease them, even default nylon ones had some grease on them.
Attachments
44010751.jpg
44010751.jpg (47.69 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Effects of metal gears

Post by wibblywobbly »

To be honest if you have the white metal ones shown in the pic, then they are standard geared, so no increase in torque to help with getting over obstacles. They are very noisy as well, as they are not precision made items, and the metal used is not steel.

Plastic gears are actually pretty good (and cheap). The only thing that needs doing to them is to seperate the two plates, remove the gear that contains the slipper clutch. Degrease it and then carefully araldite the clutch to the gear, but make sure that none is above the gear lip. When its dry reassemble and you will no longer get that clicking noise.

RobG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
jtracks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Effects of metal gears

Post by jtracks »

I'm a firm believer in gear lube on my metal geared tanks.

Joe
Joe
Marc780
Corporal

Re: Effects of metal gears/Anyone wanting panther arms read

Post by Marc780 »

FIRSTLY ANYONE WANTING THE PANTHER G ONE PIECE METAL SUSP ARMS TO FIT HENG LONG PLASTIC WHEELS AND NOT THE TAIGENS THAT DONT FIT, THESE ARMS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE LINK, WHO KNOWS HOW LONG? SO FOR THOSE WANTING THESE, I'D ORDER SOONEST. They are $30 approx.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 69855.html

Those metal gearbox you show are better then the plastic, will give you some weight in front, i changed out the plastic to those same type in my Panzer III and cannot climb over my front door frame with the plastic ones, with the metal gears installed it can though. I took the gearboxes apart to change the shafts from long to short, the edge of one of the gears ,where the center shaft comes out was cracked on one of the gears~! I just covered it with JB weld and said the heck with it, then sanded to shape.

I can f ind the steel gear boxes (black steel) for $35 shipped, on a store called "wellsold" store, on Ali express. These are the cheapest ive seen anywhere and i can say they are not a flaky company and ship (relatively) fast, 2 to 3 weeks, a month tops. Like everyone says these black steel gears are the ones to get, no questions about it. Although, the Heng long store has these gearboxes, with bearings, for ALL the gears and both ends of the output shaft and i am itching to try these! They make one kind with regular motor, and one kind with "special" motor (not sure what makes it different but its $10 more and i will pay it). They are $50 and $60 respectively. I did a lot of research and communicated with quite a few of the experten here on this fine site, I decided NOT to go with the taigen/waltersons brass gearboxes and just go with these special steel ones as i want to upgrade two or three of mine (I have 5 tanks now). The gearboxes look like this, they are at ali express at heng long store, the call them "bearing model" and you can tell which one they are because of the price, either $50 or $60 with $15 shipping.

I communicated with Jack, the fellow at Mato outlet on Ali Express (a great guy whos never let me down and gone out of his way for me many times) and he found, back in stock, metal panther arms, one piece, for the HL panther so i jumped on them like a pomeranian on a steak and ordered them right quick today for $30 - these are rare as hen's teeth, NO ONE has these. He advised me to order stuff BEFORE Feb 15, because of Chinese new year, it goes on for two weeks and a national holiday and shipping out tank parts possibly takes a lower priority during the holiday! So if i order parts, like those bearing boxes, they are gonna sit an extra time i'd be guessing. I decided NOT to wait on the panther arms though just ordered them right away these are IMPOSSIBLE to find elsewhere.

Return to “General Questions”