Hi From New Member

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Merlin707
Corporal

Hi From New Member

Post by Merlin707 »

Hi all,

Just a quick intro, my names Liam or Merlin and I'm relatively new to the RC world of tanks.
I have mainly up to this point only worked on Tamiya and Airfix plastic kits.

I am looking into purchasing either a Tamiya Tiger 1 full option kit or alternatively the Torro Tiger 1 professional edition that comes in the ammo crate to modify to my spec.

A bit of a background for me - I am currently a full time serving member of the Royal Air Force and have been for the past 10 years.
I enjoy everything military as I still get a kick from the vast and varying roles that are open.

I have been making and modifying models for coming on 20 years now and still love it.

Any help,or advice I can share or receive would be appreciated.

Thanks for now
Razor 1, Intercept Bogies Angels 2 5, Cleared Hot Engage, Fox 2 Fox 2

Semper In Faecibus Sumus Sole Profundum Variat

HL/Tamiya Sherman - Bulldog Turreted
Taigen Tiki Tiger 1
Torro KingTiger
E-25 Tank Destroyer
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Hi From New Member

Post by MichaelC »

With a name like Merlin this is no need to tell us you are RAF. It would be weird if you are not. Welcome !
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Liam Welcome to the Forum, FIRST please tell me you are not ordering your TIGER from TANKZONE, they are on our BLACKLIST and I would recommend you scroll down to it now and read it and then go to the recommended dealers list, The TORRO TIGER 1 and box are fine but ask your self whether you really need the box, I bought a TORRO TIGER 1 + box some while ago and all I hear now from the Lady of my dreams is when are you going to get rid of that bl**dy box!!! Shop around and you will find that the same Tank sans box but otherwise identical is a great deal cheaper, Have a look at TAIGEN or HENG LONG they are different but as easy/impossible to work on as the TORRO and many BUT not all parts are interchangeable, A highly recommended pair of dealers are http://www.welshdragonmodels.com and Dave Forgebear at, theallertons@fsmail.net or
on E-BAY under Forgebear, Welsh dragon have just taken on TAIGEN as their UK dealer and I would look there for a nice deal, enjoy this Forum and the hobby and please ask us all the questions you like, we have probably heard them before but they will be new and annoying to you. Good Luck :wave: shaun
By the way both Steve at Welsh Dragon and Dave are members of this Forum and will gladly answer your questions.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Merlin707
Corporal

Post by Merlin707 »

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the comments above. You'll be safe in the knowledge that I aren't getting the model from TankZone. My options were either from Torro.de or an eBay seller called Wargamer 44 who sells Corgi model aircraft and a select number of Taigen / Torro models.

I did a review search on the model before contemplating and your forum came up with a couple of posts about TankZone so I decided to avoid it like the plague.

My partner doesn't mind me having ammo boxes etc as my spare room is completely taken up with all my military kit so an extra ammo box will go un-noticed in the grand scheme of things.

I've seen lots of threads about running gear And replacement motors etc. what would be your advice for initial modifications on a Torro Tiger 1?

And what are the pros and cons over the Torro King Tiger and Tiger1 or is it just personal preference with regards to model?

Thanks

Taigen Tiki Tiger 1
Torro KingTiger
E-25 Tank Destroyer
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Jake79 »

Hi Liam

I'm pretty sure Wargamer is Tankzone, under a different name on e-bay, Howes Model's also do this under the name Hobby Power..

Welcome to the forum

Jake
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
Merlin707
Corporal

Post by Merlin707 »

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the heads up ill message him on eBay and ask the question. If he is then I'll give it a miss and find an alternate supplier.

I would still like some answers to my previous questions about running gear and pros and cons between the Torro Tiger 1 and Torro King Tiger.

Taigen Tiki Tiger 1
Torro KingTiger
E-25 Tank Destroyer
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Wargamer BAD, HOWES good, they have a shop in Oxfordshire, but they sell HENG LONG, But they are one of the cheapest vendors around, The Tiger 1 has two very obvious shortcomings in 1/16, The cupola is almost always facing the wrong way, The hatch hinge should be between 20 to 8 and 1/4 to 8 using a clock face as a reference,with the hatch handle nearest the side of the Tank and the hatch hinge nearest the centre of the tank, if your cupola is at another point of the clock face this is what you do, get a blade that will fit loosely in a vision slit and GENTLY!!!! lift then same thing in an opposite vision slit again GENTLY, you may hear some cracking, It's ok thats the glue failing, continue until the cupola lifts off, that is not the finish though, you will see a lug on the underside of the rim which fits in a slot on the cupola retaining rim, you will have to file that off before you can fit the cupola in the right position, you should now have a vision slit facing foreward in line with the main gun, but there is more, The full size TIGER 1 had an ARIEL STOWAGE TUBE on the LEFT FLANK (REAR) looking from the front but every maker of 1/16 TIGER 1s moulded TWO, one on each side, plenty of us leave well alone but if you want accuracy the tube on the RIGHT has to go, If you decide to remove it, SLOW AND GENTLE is the way and be careful because it is easy to take a slice from a thumb or finger in the effort, enjoy, the madness starts here!! :haha: :haha: :haha: shaun PS the choice between TIGER 1 and TIGER 11 is personal suffice to say nearly everyone joining the Forum starts with a TIGER 1 and WALTERSONS BRASS 4/1 GEARBOXES will not fit in a TAIGEN HULL.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon and welcome to the Forum. Great advice and help from the folks on here.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
brizo58
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by brizo58 »

Hi ,
Welcome to the forum :thumbup: :thumbup: . Brian...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Welcome to the board Merlin... How about some photos of your Wizardry :D

ALPHA

Return to “Introduce Yourself”