a sloppy wheel solution

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
dsvirus
Lance Corporal

Re: a sloppy wheel solution

Post by dsvirus »

Hey Harlequin.

Thanks for this thread. What was the width of the brass tube?

I have mato wheels, and cant decide between a mato hull or a asiatam hull. :-a
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I would like very much to thank Harliquin for this well written, concise and accurate outline of the the wheel modification. As for which hull I have the Asiatam,it was purchased well over a year ago,my Tiger S13 is 20+lbs. and I have had no problems with the Asiatam hull after the axle modification discussed here.

I know little about the Mato product but the lower being offered by them seems solid,but maybe to solid as a little flex is sometimes better than a rigid machine. So if you do purchase the Mato lower please give us a write up.

Saxondog
harlequin
Recruit

Post by harlequin »

I thank you for your kind words blake and i would like to thank you and the members here for the warm welcome i have recieved .i have been working away on my tank and up till now i have a bow machine gun that traverses left /right as it fires you wouldn't believe what i used to sort that one out :haha: 8O ;) and have cut out the rear vents on the deck, the two fan and radiator vents are hinged and open and close now and i am just about to start on the engine bay vent but this is a bit more complicated to work out but i have a few ideas to sort it .i will sling up some pictures and how toos if anyone is interested but as most of these mods have been done by other people before i didnt think it was of any use to post them although i went a different rout to some i have seen they all achieve the same goal .all the best Rob
Iron Will
Nerves Of Steel
Knob Of Butter
dsvirus
Lance Corporal

Post by dsvirus »

I purchased the asiatam lower as so many people recommended it. I have the mato wheels as well, so will try to learn how to get them attached!

:-) Thanks for your pm harlequin. I am going to try and work out how to fit the wheels now.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

When the Asiatam Hull came out the wheels were not yet available or in my case the Early Road Wheels were more than the hull. So I needed to use my H/L Wheels.

Solution was to use bolts,10-32 thread at first,removed the set/grub screws and tapped the arms very slowly as not to stress the soft metal,and using light oil.

Then I used the bolts and tightened them until the wheels did not move backed off a 1/4 turn,cut off the extra thread and installed the set screw. This lasted for the first 4-months I used the H/L Wheels.
First Axle Modification
First Axle Modification
Later I was given the WSN early rubber lined road wheels,I removed the bolts,re-tapped to 3.5mm and used shoulder bolts with Allan heads,also had to cut the extra threaded part off but this time the shoulder fit the wheel bushing,and I used plastic washers between the hub and the control arm,ran my tank checked the axles,adjusted and after over a year no tracks thrown and not wheel issues ever.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Then when given the WSN Early rubber lined wheels I tried to use the Asiatam axles,they were to short.
WSN Tiger Early Road Wheels
WSN Tiger Early Road Wheels
WSN TIGER WHEELS 002.JPG
WSN TIGER WHEELS 003.JPG
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I do not have the next set of picture which detailed the use of Allan head shoulder bolts,4mm shoulder,3.5mm thread. Control arms can be tapped to 3.5mm but beyond that is risky as the hub is to thin. Sax
blimp
Sergeant

Post by blimp »

Have you tried drilling the outer recess a little deeper ? this allows the axles to protrude more . I have a set of late wheels (Matrro Sturmtiger?) that used the original H/L inners with the Asiatam hull that i did like that , .020"/ .5mm needed to come off the inside hub as well before they lined up . :wave:
to the bouncy room ! Yay !
MarkofZollo
Corporal

Post by MarkofZollo »

Been doing this this week, though the tubing I got to fit the axles was 4mm od so fits perfectly in wheels. The axles friction fit in tube so the wheels rotate around this. Now all wheels on the right side of the tank are perfect but the left side inner wheels are touching track and outer wheels are 1-2mm off the ground. Basically the shafts when secured in the mounts turn upwards and washers dont prevent the problem. Im getting quite fed up with these probs, if anyone has a solution or a thought just mention :~
There is always a fifth Sherman
harlequin
Recruit

Post by harlequin »

just a quick thaught if your axle holes are off on the wheels on the left side but ok on the right and they are at an angle try swapping every other one with the right side this may go some way to balancing them out, as the wheels are all interchangable it seems to much of a coincidence that all the odd ones are on the left if they are ok on the right side it might be the left side arms that are out of whack "technical term" try puttin a set square on the bottom of the hull and make sure the left side arms are at right angles to the hull sides let me know how you get on and i will see if i can come up with something as a newb to this hobby i dont have a great deal of experience to fall back on but im sure someone else will chime in with a fix or who might have come across this problem .sorry i cant be of more help mate .all the best Rob
Iron Will
Nerves Of Steel
Knob Of Butter

Return to “Tips and Tricks”