Fan cooling the RX-18

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Saxondog
Captain

Fan cooling the RX-18

Post by Saxondog »

After some thought and realizing that I had limited space how could I fan cool my RX-18 with maximum air flow.First I started with a fan cooled unit from Bill@rccommand.com This unit has a pre-installed small fan wired to the power input socket,OK some cooling.Then I read where most often it's the motors that over heat the board and air not circulating though the RX-18 unit,then I had the idea of raising the unit and cooling it with a fan under the unit pulling air from top to bottom,as it pulls in fresh air from the top,it carries heat with it and blows the heated air out the bottom.Here is what I did.
Step one alien the bottom cover of the RX-18 with component tray.Drill 3mm holes x 4
Step one alien the bottom cover of the RX-18 with component tray.Drill 3mm holes x 4
Here I have added the spacer nuts,these are 3mm threaded completely threw,this creates the lift for air flow.
Here I have added the spacer nuts,these are 3mm threaded completely threw,this creates the lift for air flow.
Bottom cut out,this is 1mm less than the outside edge of the fan.Also at this stage use glue or putty to seal screw heads,this will prevent shorting of the RX-18 unit.
Bottom cut out,this is 1mm less than the outside edge of the fan.Also at this stage use glue or putty to seal screw heads,this will prevent shorting of the RX-18 unit.
Here I have added the fan,used super glue.Make sure that the fan  centered over the hole.
Here I have added the fan,used super glue.Make sure that the fan centered over the hole.
Here you can see the fan blades,they do draft alot of air,also note the top fan.
Here you can see the fan blades,they do draft alot of air,also note the top fan.
The finished unit mounted to component tray.This tray is from the ASIATAM TIGER lower hull,but the unit can be bolted into a stock hull as well.wired and ready.When power is on fans are working.Note:test fan wiring to make sure fan is running to pull air,fan will run either way.
The finished unit mounted to component tray.This tray is from the ASIATAM TIGER lower hull,but the unit can be bolted into a stock hull as well.wired and ready.When power is on fans are working.Note:test fan wiring to make sure fan is running to pull air,fan will run either way.
STEINER
Sergeant

Re: Fan cooling the RX-18

Post by STEINER »

Thats a great tip Sax, don't know how I missed this. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers

STEINER
xrad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by xrad »

very nice!!!

Not to steal your glory, but for added safety , I added an inline 5 amp quick blow fuse on the red power to board ...fuse will not blow if normal track motion used, but flash and track recoil burned the fuse. So I track motion disabled with modellbau unit and this seems to work. Probably need a 7.5 amp quicky.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The power lead has a 5AMP Quick connector,these are normally used when we install L.E.D.Lighting system on motorcycles,their a great little connector up to 15amp and 12ga wire are available,But I have not burned one yet.Prior to this mod I had damaged a RX-18 UNIT and since the fan install and the fusible connector I have had no problems,also 3:1 ratio gearbox w/12tooth pinion helps. Which modellbau unit are you referring too? Sax
xrad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by xrad »

the one that disables the track recoil when you fire the main gun..I forget the model number
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BREL »

here is the tank Madelbau.de home page
http://www.tank-modellbau.de/
and click Zubehör-Elektronik in the left hand pane and the have a look at the anti HL recoil devices
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Thanks BREL,Sax
STEINER
Sergeant

Post by STEINER »

Sax, after seeing and speaking to xrad about this unit, I plan to fit one to my Tiger. Will it be ever finished. LOL
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I also have this mod for firing airsoft with recoil and fire sound,left up joystick and everything works at the same time.Still have some problem with micro-switch in the VS Gun,it will stick at times and the recoil servo will jam barrel back.Sax http://rccommand.com/guides/RX18FireMod.php

Return to “Tips and Tricks”