XRAD'S JAGDTIGER

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
xrad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

XRAD'S JAGDTIGER

Post by xrad »

Well after a few months (5), I have been able to collect the parts necessary to start building this monster.

SPECIAL THANKS to ULI at wecohe, Steve at Welshdragon, and Jason's store in Japan, MITOSOL , and a guy in China(ebay) who got his hands on a MAtorro JT for me!!! Everyone was very fast at shipping and all parts made it to me OK except the original matooro tank. damaged in shipping (rear tensioner broken off) but does not matter as I am using :

Impact gearboxes (MUCH better than last set)
Impact cast tracks (with 40 spare links..that is why I bought from Mitosol..you can by individual links)
Tamiya hull parts
WECOHE extended aluminum hull (asiatam?)
Matorro upper hull (to be extended)
Heng Long/asitam/wecohe electronics
Asiatam metal wheels
A few asiatam hull decorations

Still need a few Tamiya bits and will get these from Tank Museum Store....more to come....

POST 999
Attachments
img_6095.jpg
img_6094.jpg
IMG_6093.JPG
FreakyDude
Corporal

Re: XRAD'S JAGDTIGER

Post by FreakyDude »

keep the pics comin looking good so far. You want to divulge your plans? :clap:
A Joke is a very serious thing
Winston Churchill
xrad

Post by xrad »

Thanks Freaky! Well, it will probably follow my KT kit bash build internally.........

this is the biggest and last in my series of 1/16 jagdtigers/panzer jager:

Nashorn
StUG III
Jagdpanzer IV
Jagdpanther
Elefant
Jagdtiger
Hetzer

kinda sums up the German effort from beginning to end...started small..ended small...and they make great models.
As far as finishing/theater...don;t know yet...not too many choices for the JT...

But I do know one thing, it will have the final type tracks/18 tooth drive sprockets....
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Xrad, Where are you getting the sprockets from,stateside maybe?
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
xrad

Post by xrad »

Mitosal

http://mitosal.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very fast shipper. Never had a problem.
GMV
Recruit

Post by GMV »

Looking good.
I did a similar conversion, but chosed to extend the Tamiya chassis and make my own upperhull.
I just wat to say that those Impact 18T sprockets sure are looking good, but doesn't perform as atleast I wanted. They kept spinning in the tracks all the time. To prevent that the tracks needed to kept under very high tension which was way to unrealistic. I think the teeth are too short. To solve the problem I bought a set from Kenny kong. Asiatam ones are far to light casted ( I have a set of those aswel).
Mine is a heavy duty JT weighing in at 10+ kg's which is around 22+ pounds.
The Tank Man
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Tank Man »

It's looking good I can see this being a great build!! :thumbup:
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
xrad

Post by xrad »

Thanks Tankman!

DMV: I have the same track/drivers on my King tiger with Asiatam tracks (single link style) and never had any slip....even with sagging/loose tracks on a nearly 45 incline. My thoughts:

1) maybe your driver set was a bad casting???

2) I use ball bearing asiatam metal road wheels...maybe that reduces friction....??

3) I use Impact reduction gear drive which is very slow and powerful (as 1/16 drive boxes go) maybe reduction in drive speed allows setting of the teeth??

4) weight : My kt weighs about 12 lbs. 22lbs is pretty heavy...

5) Hull flex...long hull may require some cross bracing and motor bracing (I plan to do this)

6) I have noticed that some manufacturer's tracks do not fit other drive sprockets. I had to file the leading and trailing teeth edges on my JP drivers to get them to fit the asiatam tracks.

???
GMV
Recruit

Post by GMV »

xrad wrote:I have the same track/drivers on my King tiger and never had any slip....even with sagging/loose tracks on a nearly 45 incline. Four thoughts:

1) maybe your driver set was a bad casting???
Casting was really good.
xrad wrote:2) I use ball bearing asiatam metal road wheels...maybe that reduces friction....??
Same for me, I actually modded them with dual bb's and also for the idlers.
xrad wrote:3) I use Impact reduction gear drive which is very slow and powerful (as 1/16 drive boxes go) maybe reduction in drive speed allows setting of the teeth??
I also have Impact gearboxes...
xrad wrote:4) weight : My kt weighs about 12 lbs. Don;t think this is the issue....

see the build at:

???
Anyhow I changed the sprocket for the Kenny kong ones, had no issues at all after that.
xrad

Post by xrad »

cuts for fitment.

Increase front plate angle
drop the front deck by just under 4mm (easier to raise the citadel and measures out pretty close anyway)
extend citadel (front deck and rear deck nearly scale, citadel vents and access ports slighty off...but I am not moving these)

Pretty close to scale...
Attachments
IMG_6099.JPG
IMG_6097.JPG
IMG_6096.JPG

Return to “Other Builds”