• Advertisement
Welsh Dragon Models

1/16 Hetzer

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.

Postby xrad » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:02 pm

So what ever happened to the guy who was going to build a series of 1/16 hetzers???

I now have a little machine shop lathe (nice for the price) and plant to make a Hetzer down the road....

I can turn the wheels from brass. only problem is the tracks...I would have to use a set of Panzer III tracks...do you think anyone will notice?
xrad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Advertisement

Postby Dietrich » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:29 pm

NO they will be too busy looking in Awe at the actual Hetzer to notice the tracks!!!! .....except for the one bloke stood in a corner wearing an Anorak and counting the rivets and the number of weld-curves per inch that you have simulated...he may also be writing it down ,hurriedly, in a small dog-eared note book,before he reports to another forum, about YOUR Horrendous errors :haha: :haha:
Seriously though.....NO people will NOT notice...I cannot even remember what the Czech track should look like unless I go and look it up now, and where on earth would you get a set from anyway ??? .........and actually having read what I just wrote...I think 'that bloke' sounds a bit of a wierdo....and maybe just a bit frightening...... :shifty:
Alb
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Postby xrad » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:15 pm

Apparently my timing is AWESOME! looks like Bluestar has come through with a very nice resin kit with US distributor..

I pre-ordered one. Hope it comes soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-GERMAN-HET ... 27bdc74005

hetzer.jpg
xrad

Postby caddyshack » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:00 pm

That does look like that is going to be a very nice model. Hope it lives up to the said expectations they hope for,in the over all detail.
looking forward to seeing this one .

caddyshack
Sergeant

Postby Dietrich » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi Xrad,
As you say PERFECT timing......but its not cheap...BUT...it will save you HOURS and HOURS of scratch building...and squinting at old photographs trying to decide the EXACT size of a bracket or a bar etc.and of course the wheels will be correct.
Good Find.. :clap: ..but good luck drilling out the 210 track-links to have working tracks!!......Go Panzer III...easier probably stronger and no-one will know......you might have to modify the drive sprocket to fit.....but the alternative is 210 holes in EXACTLY the right plane !!! .....You are a braver man than me :haha:
Alb.
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Postby chris3 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:25 pm

moin

Piii would be usefull but you need to change the roodweels because the tracks only have one tooth, but you need 2.
some people are using the 1:24 panther track, that will nearly have the exat size with 2 tooth.

by the why do you guys new the resing kit of christian juken burg?
http://www.store-juckenburg.de/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_29?osCsid=fooc7e0hlqdptvgjvic5vkctf5

cu christian
chris3
Sergeant

Postby xrad » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:06 pm

There is a local guy who does casting.....these track links are very small...but maybe he can make them....

looks like delivery will not be until October 8O :'(

I will probably machine the lower arms and a set of drive and idler wheels . I now have spring steel sheet and a metal cutoff/bending unit. Good for hobby size. And then make the hull from aluminum...and somehow convert to RC....somehow...

need to get the kit first.

Maybe wechoe or asiatam will cast some linke for the Bluestar model???

christian juken burg: Nice resin kits but looks like more static based thn RC. BUT I do need one of his Tank Girl calendar!!!!! :D :D :D
xrad

Postby xrad » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Looks like bluestar site is up and runing, at least for pics of the kit.

http://www.bluestarmodel.com/

I have had some email contact with owner. Seems like a good guy. Can't wait for the kit.
xrad

Postby chris3 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:45 pm

moin

a few mor pics about the kit would be nice.
its a very good price, it would be a nice addition for my shop, but first i need a few more informations.

cu christian
chris3
Sergeant

Postby xrad » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi Christian,

As soon as I get a kit, I will post pics.

I think you can email bluestar directly on their website.

The owner was contemplating producing metal tracks/ drivewheels and did not know where to go. I suggested contacting asiatam as their tracks are very good quality at a good price.

having metal tracks, suspension and wheels would allow easy rc conversion for modelers. they would just have to fab an aluminum or plastic hull as this allows more room than resin hull.

Cheers
xrad

Postby littletankman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Here is my scratch built 1:16 RC Hetzer although not perfect , I made this some time ago I just need to alter the gearing and spray her (once I get another compressor) , oh wobbely wheels sorted .This has working leaf spring suspension.

Oh as for Pz.III tracks the Hetzer tracks have a double guide horn , I used 1:25 Academy early Panther tracks . However Im making a RSO 01 with Pz.III tracks . These are not perfect but Im removing the single guide horn and gluing on a double one made from styrene.
Size comparison next to my Tamiya Kingtiger

And my first attempt at a Pz.III double guide horn track link for my styer RSO 01, still needs improving
Rivet counting done going to hang up my anorak :/
Andy :thumbup:
littletankman
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby littletankman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Here is a couple of picts to show the body . Once you get the sizes , or close to its not that tricky .

littletankman

Postby xrad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:12 pm

NIce Andy, I saw your work earlier. The panther tracks are nearly like winterketten for the hetzer.
xrad

Postby littletankman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi mate thanks , The Hetzers not a to difficult build . I like doing something different . Ive got a LVT A1 , RSO 01 , Jagdpanzer IV L70 and Stug IV on hold untill I get my Ostwind finished. Ive just got to finish the 3.7cm flak gun and fit elevation . I plan on using a Stug unit for this . Im also planning a 1/6 250 late model . I did plan to build a 251 but the only running gear I could afford wouldn't hold up to RC . So plumbed for the 250 .

Thanks Andy
littletankman

Postby littletankman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:40 pm

Oh forgot , my dads a model engineer so hes got a lathe , pillar drill and all sorts of machinery . he makes traction engines and working scale steam trains. However I'm no good on the lathe , I'm a wood-machinist by trade. Ive just got to get my one sprayed . It has a KV1 recoiling barrel but I can get elevation due to the gears/motors and its running on the HL RX18 .

Andy
littletankman

Postby jo.raus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Dietrich wrote:NO they will be too busy looking in Awe at the actual Hetzer to notice the tracks!!!! .....except for the one bloke stood in a corner wearing an Anorak and counting the rivets and the number of weld-curves per inch that you have simulated...he may also be writing it down ,hurriedly, in a small dog-eared note book,before he reports to another forum, about YOUR Horrendous errors :haha: :haha:
Seriously though.....NO people will NOT notice...I cannot even remember what the Czech track should look like unless I go and look it up now, and where on earth would you get a set from anyway ??? .........and actually having read what I just wrote...I think 'that bloke' sounds a bit of a wierdo....and maybe just a bit frightening...... :shifty:
Alb

Hi, Anorak here. Interested in the thread on tracks. I notice the the pictures of the track design used by Blue Star [pictures currently on Ebay]appear to be a very late pattern as used on the Fgst.Nr.322971 - starr [with Tatra Diesel engine 1945] which makes the 1/25 panther tracks look similar. Anyone know how early these late tracks might have appeared?
JR

jo.raus
Recruit

Return to Other Builds