Katy

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
wibblywobbly
Major

Katy

Post by wibblywobbly »

If anyone has seen my favourite wartime movie, Ice Cold In Alex, you will know my next build will be, just need to do the wheels, rear door vents, and rear mudguards, and I will be able to start on it. Will probably not be RC as I would really like to set up a diorama with the crew from the movie if I can find the figures somewhere.
Attachments
Katy2.jpg
Katy2.jpg (29.21 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Katy.jpg
Katy.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Katy

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
You really should shoot for an RC version of this for all of us folks wanting decently priced RC trucks to go with our armor. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It wouldn't be that difficult, I will see what happens. At the end of the day I can create clip in motor/gearbox holders, and a steering rack would be fairly easy to make, along with a holder for a steering servo, and the battery/esc etc.

The suspension would be the worst bit. I know from my RC Truck days that leaf springs are a bit hit and miss, you have to balance the number of leaves and the spring rate to the weight of the truck for them to work properly. PLA weighs nothing, so to stop it bouncing around would mean adding ballast to plant it on the ground. Making Katy would be fairly simple as long as the print quality is up to scratch, though I would need to get hold of some rubber tyres and make hubs to fit both the tyres and the axles etc.

I guess it depends how curious I get? It probably took 8 hours to design the truck, but the bits to make it RC would need a lot more thought and precise measuring.

I am currently filling and sanding all of the Long Tom parts, but have a trapped nerve in my shoulder so it is becoming a rather painful process in more ways than one... :/

RobG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Done the wheels, the double row wheel nuts were a pain. The hub is simpler than the original as my guess is that the printer will mess up the odd hollowed out design.

Back step, and all the vents done. No transmission on yet, but that is simple spheres and cylinders.

I am almost tempted to scale it down 75%, and see what the printer does when it tries to print the whole thing as one piece? :angel:
Attachments
katy complete.jpg
katy complete.jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 1808 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Looks very nice. I assume the odd cylinder behind the RHS cab door is a CAD artefact?

I can appreciate the problems with scale leaf springs, getting the thickness down enough to flex without creasing won't be simple. They're bad enough at full scale.... Would it be possible to cheat and use a single leaf with a hollowed out shape representing the remainder of the bundle? Ie the top leaf is sprung, but the remainder are an empty casing. The spring won't look right when flexed (as the flex occurs "inside" the bundle) but will give some articulation.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The protusion on the side of the truck is where the spare wheel was located B| shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

Looks good.

I've been thinking of doing a Leyland Retriever http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_Retriever as I grew up in Leyland.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning, WW,
That looks really promising. The wheels alone are a work of art. The Opel Blitzes are beauties but there is something about British designed Lorries from WWII. Scammell Pioneers!?
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

jarndice wrote:The protusion on the side of the truck is where the spare wheel was located B| shaun
Correct, well done Shaun, you are this weeks winner of a Pantiger front mudguard. :haha:

More pics to follow...still adding detail while I wait for some primer to dry on the Long Tom. That hi-build stuff absolutely reeks like rotting vegetables, it's all out in the garden and I can still smell it. :-<

Edit..just realised that I have stuck a full size wheel in the spare wheel holder, rather than the scaled down one that matches the ones fitted to the truck. :think:
Attachments
katy3.jpg
katy3.jpg (48.78 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Faster than a speeding arrow. :O

The curved roof etc are smooth curves, I am just using a cheap and cheerful faster rendering setting.
Attachments
katy4.jpg
katy4.jpg (47.87 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Other Builds”