1941 StuG III Ausf B

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

1941 StuG III Ausf B

Post by PainlessWolf »

So after mooning around waiting for parts to repair my Pershing 'B-12' , the first major part of this anticipated build arrived today. Sent along by Forgebear from Asiatam, the Profiline resin kit for the StuG III B is everything I expected and more. Even after all of the shipping, only one resin part was broken and a few seconds spent had it back in one piece. Now, I need to decide whether to go the ( expensive ) metal route with a Taigen lower hull and suspension or pick up a HL StuG and dress it up a little with the better tracks, suspension and running gear. At any rate, the next thing that I am looking for is a Tauchpanzer upper deck. Pictures:
Attachments
repaired in seconds, literally
repaired in seconds, literally
Broken from shipping
Broken from shipping
Almost everything to turn a StuG F into a StuG B, detail - wise
Almost everything to turn a StuG F into a StuG B, detail - wise
Almost everything to turn a StuG F into a StuG B, detail - wise.JPG (91.67 KiB) Viewed 7761 times
Resin components and a metal barrel
Resin components and a metal barrel
Resin components and a metal barrel.JPG (96.18 KiB) Viewed 7761 times
Profiline Stug III B
Profiline Stug III B
Forgebear strikes again
Forgebear strikes again
What I am looking to replicate in 1/16 RC
What I am looking to replicate in 1/16 RC
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: 1941 StuG III Ausf B

Post by ALPHA »

Looks like Asiatam did a bunch of work there Painless...all your hatches are independent except for the loaders ...but that's cool ...they even made recessed liners for the transmission covers...and also freed up the barrel and replaced it with a metal one....Very Nice...good score :thumbup:

Let the metal parts shopping list begin!!!!!!!!!!!! :haha: :haha:

ALPHA

PS...I'd mate that with the Mato Lower...you get more bang for the buck with the Mato ;)
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Magman,
I could not agree more. Dave and Julie are Top Drawer in this Business.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha,
I was worried about using resin after that imbroglio you got into over your last effort to make use of a kit. I am pleased tho' now that I have seen how cool this one looks. Without a lot of scratch building, this is about the only way to get a large scale RC early StuG B put together. It's fair to say that I am more excited about this than I am my Tiger kit. I've got a couple of sacks of Mato metal accessories for the StuG and Pz III already. I will want to make the aerial trough out of wood and use brass for the exhaust grills. I will want another working Convoy light in front and will use one in the rear instead of tail lights. Exciting stuff!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Painless, one of the things I found out about StuG's is that most of them did not have the escape hatches on the sides of the hull. (A couple of the versions - that were converted from Pz III chassis - did have them, but I don't know if that included the Ausf B or not). Anyway, if you're considering aftermarket hulls, I know that the Asiatam metal-and-plastic hull does not have them. I don't know anything about the Taigen hull at all. Just a heads-up while you're in the planning stages. -Mike
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Mike,
Thanks for the heads up on the hull hatches. I'm going to pretty much copy the 1/35 Tamiya version I built last year. It is a beautiful little assault gun and should look Aces when up scaled into a running version. Taigen and Asiatam should be very close. I am looking into all of the options this morning. ;o)
warmest regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Alpha,
I was worried about using resin after that imbroglio you got into over your last effort to make use of a kit. I am pleased tho' now that I have seen how cool this one looks. Without a lot of scratch building, this is about the only way to get a large scale RC early StuG B put together. It's fair to say that I am more excited about this than I am my Tiger kit. I've got a couple of sacks of Mato metal accessories for the StuG and Pz III already. I will want to make the aerial trough out of wood and use brass for the exhaust grills. I will want another working Convoy light in front and will use one in the rear instead of tail lights. Exciting stuff!
regards,
Painless
Yeah that was a bum trip for sure...and its still tricky because of the nature of the resin... looks like yours is the good stuff ...hard to say just by looking at the color...feeling it is the best way as the weight is a dead give away ...with that said...I like all the improvements on yours... though not really necessary for the way I build ...for someone who enjoys the detailing like you do it will suit you great ...the metal barrel will make it easier for you to make it recoil...I have to drill mine out ...
Just wondering why wood for the trough ?......I did use plastic first time around...and they are pretty strong...super easy to work with as well...but I'll probably be using brass or sheet steel for mine...it's just stronger you know ;)

Anyway good luck on your search for parts ...for some reason I think you will have more fun with this than the Tiger...so you should wait till after the Tiger :haha: :haha:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Mike,
Thanks for the heads up on the hull hatches. I'm going to pretty much copy the 1/35 Tamiya version I built last year. It is a beautiful little assault gun and should look Aces when up scaled into a running version. Taigen and Asiatam should be very close. I am looking into all of the options this morning. ;o)
warmest regards,
Painless
Get the Mato!!! has more metal than the Taigen hull...and it's torsion bar suspension...plus it comes with all the wheels :haha: ...the Taigen is ala carte ;)

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha,
I've done some pricing and comparisons today. The Mato lower hull and tracks with sprockets\idlers will run 300.00 with free shipping. The Taigen lower hull with tracks, sprockets\idlers, wheels , gearboxes and some other things like the Taigen flash and gun recoil comes to around 278.00 + shipping. It's a start with a lot to consider.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Alpha,
I've done some pricing and comparisons today. The Mato lower hull and tracks with sprockets\idlers will run 300.00 with free shipping. The Taigen lower hull with tracks, sprockets\idlers, wheels , gearboxes and some other things like the Taigen flash and gun recoil comes to around 278.00 + shipping. It's a start with a lot to consider.
regards,
Painless
Hey Painless... the Mato includes the wheels and rear idler for 199 as far as I know...but on the taigen everything is ala carte...one taiwan seller on ebay is selling the taigen for 179 +ship...includes the wheels ...no idler ...also I'm not sure if you added the cost for the axles for the metal wheels or the guide rollers because as far as I've seen they are not included with the sets or that partially complete Hull on Ebay ;)

Did a lot of research after the mistakes I made trying to prep for my two stug builds ... :lolno: ...that bogus Hull had a serious downhill snowball effect ...sucked it up ...but it's the reason it's taken so long to get around to touching it

ALPHA

Return to “Other Builds”