M270 MLRS Scratch Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

M270 MLRS Scratch Build

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi all
Well with my hands being a bit restless, and I could not get my head around the hull shape of the M88 hercules at the moment, so I thought I would have a pratice with this one first.
I got the plans from Blueprint.com and then after a lot of research, found out that just about every country thats got these, have a differant variant ie hull shape, Transmission, and even loadout. So it looks like I have plenty of variations to choose from. The hull basic shape is the same, its just in the details.
Plans.jpg
Plans.jpg (75.72 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
Hull shape development on 0.7mm sheet steel
Hull shape development on 0.7mm sheet steel
Basic hull bent to shape and mig welded
Basic hull bent to shape and mig welded
Hull bent up and mig welded.jpg (98.29 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
The running gear and tracks are made up from a mix of M26 tracks and modified wheels and suspension, the idler wheels are modified T-34 and the return rollers are a mix of modified M26, Scratch build and using Panzer 111 modified bits.
Basic running gear.jpg
suspension posts pressed into the hull and then mig welded on the inside to secure in place
suspension posts pressed into the hull and then mig welded on the inside to secure in place
suspension mounting posts.jpg (94.37 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
the first suspension arm in place and offers up to the suspension top
the first suspension arm in place and offers up to the suspension top
First suspension arm in place.jpg (88.18 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
First side nearly done  and starting to look something
First side nearly done and starting to look something
getting there with running gear.jpg (73.94 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
This photo is for all people out that have trouble connecting up there tracks (MY SECRET TOOL for the job) :haha:
how to connect the tracks (first get a helping Hand, Paw) LOL.jpg
how to connect the tracks (first get a helping Hand, Paw) LOL.jpg (91.25 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
:haha:
first veiw with tracks on.jpg
first veiw with tracks on.jpg (92.84 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
. Thought I would fit the track on one side first before marking out the return roller position to get the right clearance.
Slightly modified Panzer 111 return roller mounts
Slightly modified Panzer 111 return roller mounts
Panzer 111 return roller mounts.jpg (76.48 KiB) Viewed 4648 times
Well thats where I am at the moment hope to get some more done later this week and I'll up date the pictures as I go.
regards Denzil
opp's you said get off the road
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: M270 MLRS Scratch Build

Post by ALPHA »

Nice results with the mix and match of Parts :clap: Really like the Hull fabrication...might have to give that a go one day :D

ALPHA
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Love the MLRS, Christian had one in development but I don't know if he ever got it finished. There is one on YouTube with rockets that fire? 8O

Keep the pics coming, looking forward to following this.

RobG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
trackmech81
Lance Corporal

Post by trackmech81 »

That will be a nice build when done.....on a side note for your Herc., use a rectangular hull with an open front like the Tamiya Sherman, and make the front piece separate. You could use the 1/35 AFV Club kit as a template. One day I will be making one. You may have to go for a 1/18 scale if you want it to look right, but if you do, you can use of the Tamiya Pershing road wheels and the Impact rubber and metal t84 Pershing track and sprockets.
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi all
Well despite my heater packing up in the garage I managed to get in two good days of modelling so heres the result so far.[/attachment]
modified M26 return rollers fitted.jpg
modified M26 return rollers fitted.jpg (78.61 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
Low profile gearboxes fitted.jpg
Low profile gearboxes fitted.jpg (95.73 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
I did some simple wiring and ran the hull / motors on the garage floor and so far she runs a treat with no sign of track jumping, must have got something right :haha: I found a Model railway shop online that sold styrene sheet in thicknesses from 0.5mm up to 5mm. So brought 4 sheet of 3mm to make the basic chassis and superstructor.
3mm styrene sheet cut into basic chassis shape (1).jpg
3mm styrene sheet cut into basic chassis shape (1).jpg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
Basic chassis and cab - engine housing block.jpg
Basic chassis and cab - engine housing block.jpg (80.44 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
I looked in my bit box and due to the thickness of the chassis was able to mount/screw the turret motor direct to the chassis
heng long turrent gearbox and training ring fitted.jpg
heng long turrent gearbox and training ring fitted.jpg (79.01 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
. Again for strenght I made the rotating base of the Launching box out of 3mm styrene.
basic rotating base for rocket box.jpg
basic rotating base for rocket box.jpg (95.41 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
rotating base structure coming together.jpg
rotating base structure coming together.jpg (94.56 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
. I fitted the rotating base to the chassis at this point and checked for freedom of movement, and just using a 1.5v battery the rotating part moves freely from lock to lock.
Basic Hull top and rotating structure fitted to the chassis.jpg
Side view of vehicle at the present.jpg
Side view of vehicle at the present.jpg (94.09 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
Well that's where I am at the moment might get somemore done this week. But duty call's or rather the good lady does so we will see, but the next job will be the basic rocket pod and then the big job of designing and making the rocket pod's lifting actuators and also some sort of firing mechanism for the rockets ( not sure whether to go for the 12 multi launch rockets or the 4 air burst system rockets)
regards Denzil
Attachments
rotating base fitted to chassis.jpg
rotating base fitted to chassis.jpg (76.38 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
trackmech81
Lance Corporal

Post by trackmech81 »

Excellent work man.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
I've been following along using my 1/32 scale version of this Launcher. Indeed, amazing work!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Excellent work here, it will be rock solid when finished thanks to your engineering skills. Can't wait to see it finished. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Nice Work Denzil going for a beer got the brain in gear. Looks like it will be a vey good runner ,will need to see it when you have finished it.

regards pete
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Thank you all for your comments, I trying to get back in the garage (hopefully soon) but struggling with a bad back and hip at the moment so I'll post some more pictures as and when I get back to work bench, I manage to design and make the lifting actuators for the missile box. but thats all at the moment .
regards Denzil

Return to “Other Builds”