Sassgrunt's Perogatives

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
ALPHA
Major-General

Sassgrunt's Perogatives

Post by ALPHA »

I keep telling Sassgrunt he needs to post some of his builds... well... he dropped by the other day to show me some of the bits he is working on... I snagged them from him ...saying he's not getting them back till I can photograph his work...it isn't much this time...but I have to say...the workmanship is really something to take in
This is his modified Asiatam gearboxes... made to fit the Tamiya Sherman

The following pictures are from just two of his Sherman builds..the first is for his Kelly's Hero's Tank
This is for his Firefly build
The rotor shield and mantlet are from that magazine
Any thoughts? just post them and hopefully Sassgrunt will be by to elaborate :D

HAPPY TANKING GENTSImage

ALPHA
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Re: Sassgrunt's Perogatives

Post by sassgrunt »

Let me be the first to respond, since they are my concoctions. Thank you, Alpha for photographing them.

The gearbox is a combination of Asiatam gearboxes hooked up to a pair of Tamiya Pershing outdrives. This gives a further gear reduction than the straight gearboxes, but more importantly, it gives a recessed area between the outdrives that I can fit a three-piece transmission cover to.

The two turrets are both Forces of Valor metal ones. One is a 76mm barrel for a Kelly's Heroes build, and the other is the new Hatchett mantlet for a Firefly build. I was too late to purchase one of their barrels for it, so I used an old Tamiya 17-pounder barrel. (I did have to cut down the diameter of it somewhat, and the red marks you see near the mantlet are my visual aid to set the recoil in the right place. I just forgot to clean it off before I gave it to Alpha). -Mike
Merlin707
Corporal

Post by Merlin707 »

I didn't realise that the forces of valour models were hollow on the inside to take the mechanisms of rc gear.
Would this fit a Heng long upper Hull?
Razor 1, Intercept Bogies Angels 2 5, Cleared Hot Engage, Fox 2 Fox 2

Semper In Faecibus Sumus Sole Profundum Variat

HL/Tamiya Sherman - Bulldog Turreted
Taigen Tiki Tiger 1
Torro KingTiger
E-25 Tank Destroyer
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Merlin707 wrote:I didn't realise that the forces of valour models were hollow on the inside to take the mechanisms of rc gear.
Would this fit a Heng long upper Hull?
The FOV Sherman has a fully detailed interior with engine compartment detail as well .... but yes Merlin...everything on the upper half of the tank fits the Heng Long..the Mato...and the Tamiya Hulls :D

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

It's ashamed that no one could feel how smooth that gearbox assy moves ...I thought was an extraordinary concept ...especially since the rumor on this board was that there was no way to fit alternative gearboxes in the Tamiya Sherman

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha,
That is Sass, putting paid to rumors for a long time now. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Alpha,
That is Sass, putting paid to rumors for a long time now. ;o)
regards,
Painless
The guy has some amazing builds going on...keep urging him to post some of them (as you know lol) Hopefully he will bring other projects by again so I can shanghai them and post them for everyone to see :D

ALPHA

Return to “Other Builds”