The attempt at a whole new transmission design

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Edwin
Corporal

The attempt at a whole new transmission design

Post by Edwin »

Hi there,

as some have indeed already have noticed, I'm currently not really to build so busy. But I think every now and then in the work but the leisure and relaxation, thinking up something new and to construct the then.

So I have after I've made a few thoughts how to gear effective and yet above all quieter can construct in operation. For this purpose for some time also comes the possibility of a 3D printer that operates largely independently.
So I sat down and drew a new, completely closed at the end of transmission block for my Panther tank. For this test, I have deliberately chosen one of my strong gear. Smaller and weaker variants, if it so then it works no problem.
The plastic construction I want without restrictions strength reach an audible reduction of gear noise and provide a closed design this with lifetime grease. As a small side effect of the construction cost to reduce something.

Here I have already an image of the printer simulate a gear half.

This is so still need some changes and I find it even more determined to a how I can improve the installation, but I'm going to the parts now print times and try the strength.

Greetings Edwin
APAMOTEC Model technology in detail
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: The attempt at a whole new transmission design

Post by Woz »

Looks good Edwin, it'll be interesting to see how they stand up to the strain. What % infill are you using for them?
Edwin
Corporal

Post by Edwin »

Hi Woz,

I have 80% fill in those parts. A more deteriorated the stability then again even

Here I have some pictures of the first prototype, but I'm already 50% of the things I've changed from the first and the surprising stability and will reprint. It will still need some prototypes, since I only have to learn, but it is now a completely different design. If I then replacements in my Coelian and most practice will clarify the suitability. If that works but give up completely new possibilities in gear, since previously only extremely expensive and complex to be built transmissions are feasible.

Woz

Post by Woz »

Looks good.

Just a thought on something you might like to try-

If you make the red parts hollow and fill them in with a resin like car body filler you can print with 100% infill which will make the sides stronger.
Edwin
Corporal

Post by Edwin »

Hi Woz,

the parts I have already re-constructed from the first views and thoughts. Knock out the areas shown by you and then pour makes no sense when printing and only more work. Since the housing are very small saves nothing, receives no improvement and making them more expensive only.

regards Edwin
Woz

Post by Woz »

Sorry I meant print the red parts hollow not clean them out. Anyway the idea with the resin was to make them a bit stronger as printed PLA is weakest between the layers and the resin would help bind the layers together.

Mind you once it's all bolted together it'll be more then strong enough.

Return to “Other Builds”