gawd , another Tiger 1 (late) w.i.p. yawn . . .

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
blimp
Sergeant

gawd , another Tiger 1 (late) w.i.p. yawn . . .

Post by blimp »

Hello , I'm 'Blimp' and thanks to you lot , i'm now a H/L Tiger 1 owner . After the usual play with it i decided it needed 'improving' , - like ya do . here is my sorry tale .
  • . . . It all started innocently enough , her indoors decided i would like something for my birthday . . .
.Image
  • A Maplin's 'Special offer'... ( yeah , THAT version . . .)
Anyhoo , a brief Google and that was it , i was hooked . Seeing all the fantastic stuff being done by other folks I couldn't just have an ordinary one anymore could i ! - So the slide into panzer debauchery began . . .
  • With Crimbo looming , i convinced myself that i could justify a little treat for myself , after all i'm a hard working soul ,an underpaid , unappreciated chap etc. and i deserve it .(stop sniggering at the back!)
- Result . . .
. . . One Asiatam hull .
  • Oh , and i forgot , metal tracks + 3-1 'boxes , but they don't really count , do they :silent:
Last edited by blimp on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
to the bouncy room ! Yay !
blimp
Sergeant

Re: gawd , another Tiger 1 (late) w.i.p. yawn . . .

Post by blimp »

Next bit . - getting it all together , ah! the joy . . . .
  • . . Wonky suspension . . .
ImageImage . . . Dodgy gearbox alignment . . .
  • . . at least the metal sprockets and tracks were o.k. - whoops , did i forget to mention them dear ? sorry . . .
By now , i was on first name terms with the postie . Never mind , the exercise will do him good . . . Brown packets and parcels were starting to tumble through the door at an alarming rate , and i'm forced to resort to sneeking them in . the cuboard is full . So is the shed . . . Eeek she's gonna kill me . . . but i NEED it , new RX18 receiver (and tranny of course , crystals . . . ) Fleabay is my friend . My bank manager is getting nervous - new shiny metal wheels ( two types , just in case you understand ) gun extention , more tracks , KK's this time , might as well do it properly now . . . cupola , M.G. . . . hatches . . .
And here it is today . four months on , still loads to do , with the old original H/L carcass hiding behind . this too is being resurrected , a second hand top end and the spare radio gear i brought was all it wanted . Ye god's , THEY'RE BREEDING !
Last edited by blimp on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Johnf »

You will need an Elmod next but at least the package is small. and then a radio and receiver. And did you upgrade your speaker. It just keeps going. What did you use for zimmerit
blimp
Sergeant

Post by blimp »

Aggh ! - don't encourage me ! i'm trying desperetly to keep a handle on it as it is :haha: - the 'zimm is good 'ol milliput , my first attempt (i gave it a quick squirt of light tan paint to kill the whiteness ) i might redo a bit at the front trunnion , i mixed too much up and it 'turned' before i'd finnished texturing . poo .
majordisastor
Lance Corporal

Post by majordisastor »

Looking good Blimp - Fine work on your Zimm as well - starting to really look the part !!

I know the feeling about them breeding ....a few stray parts from my Tiger Ebbey project led onto a hull for a Sturmtiger - spare parts from that have started to acumalate towards a early Tiger 1 ..........err did I mention a King Tiger hull hanging around the garage looking hopefull ???

My postman has now graduated to giving me dirty looks now ........I never realised hernia ops took so long to heal ......
I have also resorted to sneaking myself past the wife as well as the parcels...

Ahh well it could be worse .......................................................I might be building Shermans !! :D

Andy
It always gets darkest before it goes completley black......
blimp
Sergeant

Post by blimp »

Yo , Andy ! nice to see you mate . - Tiggers arn't really my thing , i'm more of a 38(t) S.P. man myself , it's good job no one does a chassis for them ! :haha:
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

looking good, welcome to tankaholics , im afraid like us lot youve caught armouritus
regards, cliff
blimp
Sergeant

Post by blimp »

:haha: Thanks guys ,it's nice to know i'm not the only one .
  • . . . Well , i 'spose some poor souls will be interested in what this Panzerphillia(mania) involves , so before i relate my saga I ought to explain that i'm not an armour fan . I do models , quite afew , but they are a different vein (and scale!) - the last thing with tracks i did was , oh , nearly 30yrs ago . things have changed a lot .
    • Alright , enough babble .
    Nitty gritty time . . . .
    • Pt 2 , I mentioned earlier about giving my new toy a spin around the house , frightening the cat and making mrs B roll her eyes . One thing struck me about it - it was VERY much a toy . Being the bargain basement version with the BB and two speeds - fast and faster ! ( i don't recall Tigers ever wheelspinning in real life ) obviously something had to be done .
      • The upgrade .
      . . .Metal tracks and sprockets , recommended by just about everyone , gearboxes , 3 to 1's and a RX18 thingy so as i'd have more control . luverly .
      • Not .
      - Doesn't work like that . - need the proper receiver, and tranny too . Rats . - This was going to be more exspensive than i thought . Ah well , at this time i'd noticed that the Asiatam hull was on offer , in for a penny . . .
. . . there's plenty to play with . . .
  • A couple of things caught my eye , the suspension was a bit squiffy . I proceeded to disassemle it , thinking that by rearranging all the torsion bars , collars et al would make it better ( i also teased some '0' rings into the axle holes in a vain attempt at waterproofing ) Nope , what a waste of time , still all a'cock , eventually i got them just so . - by brute force ! twisting the arms against the springs until they were where they were meant to be . :(
Obviously this is how they did it in the factory . which explained why some of the couplings and springs were 'wrong' to start with .
  • Fitting the gearboxes . . .
Image . . Lesson 2 , Mato 'boxes are cr%p . they aren't a 'drop in' fit for a start . O.K. i half exspected that , no problem really , just a few extra holes to drill and screws/nuts . but worse was to come .Don't be fooled by this photo , this was taken later . . . the left hand 'box went in painlessly but the drive shaft on the right hand one was so far on the p*ss it would wreck the tracks + wheels . At this point i thought i'd got a rogue one , so i returned it asking for a replacement . SAME THING ! - I tried another supplier - Ditto . Checking online i found it was not just a bad coincidence , more curses . Botch time . . .
. . . I removed the final drive axles , and putting a 5mm round bar ( a welding rod just happens to fit :shh: ) through them showed the r/h one would line up , but needs some kind of spacing underneath . Cling flim was placed over the base plate and a largish blob of Araldite splodged on , then i quickly assembled it again - with just one screw to locate it , the rod kept it alinged until it set . afterwards i took it apart , removed the clingfilm , and drilled the necessary fixing holes . Yay !
Last edited by blimp on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
majordisastor
Lance Corporal

Post by majordisastor »

Just another thing to add before you roar off to frighten the cat again.
Bearing supports for your front driveshafts will prolong the life of your gearboxes and beef up the front.

Hope you read this before you screw the front track cogs on !!

Andy
It always gets darkest before it goes completley black......
blimp
Sergeant

Post by blimp »

- will do Andy - i've been looking around for some shouldered ones . I also have some rubber seals that have been knocking about for years , watch this space folks ;D .
  • Pt 2b - More Asiatam hull stuff .
  • . . . . Another thing with the hull , holding it up to the light shows gaps . loads of 'em . Now i don't expect to go bathing with it , but damp grass and the occasional muddy patch are asking for problems with moisture creeping in and causing corrosion , plus the electrics arn't keen on the stuff .
Sooo , here you see me running some superglue along the seams , good 'ol cocktail sticks make neat little wedges holding the edges nice and snug while it sets . I will take out the underbelly screws , one at a time , countersinking the holes and replacing them with c'sunk ones , a touch of loctite will keep them tight . then i can put a thin sheet of styrene over the whole lot , a little silicon in the centre area and plastic glue around the edges . Touch wood it will prevent the joints coming apart again , anyway it tidies the bottom up if nothing else .
This is the Q.D. catch / cum rear hull bracing strip - Top
    • . . . and here , under the l/h pannier above the idler wheel - where the you are supposed to just give it a little pull and the upper hull can be lifted off .
    Problem - unless you have minature fingers or carry a crochet hook thingy , how are you going to get to it ? - plus , when the tracks throw crud , where is the muddiest place going to be . . . yup .
    • Solution , blank the hole off and flip / reverse / reassemble the bits , and . . .
    Image . . . 'bout that eh ? - and there's even room for an on/off switch /charger jack . (just :D ) . . . Well that's enough for tonight . Stay tuned for the next exciting episode . Coming to your monitor soon - Pt 3 . OMG ! IT'S . . . IT''S . . . . THE WHEELS !
    • AAAAAGGGGH !

Return to “Heng Long Builds”