Ambush Tiger #188

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
MarkofZollo
Corporal

Ambush Tiger #188

Post by MarkofZollo »

Hi there!
This is my first fix up of a tank, in this link my third post shows how much work I did just to get the tank at first!
http://rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/viewt ... =42&t=5743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Basically I wanted an early Normandy Tiger like this artists impression of Wittmanns borrowed #007 (I know it was really a late Tiger);
I wanted to do as much as possible with minimal money input so some stuff is experimantal and probably pretty rubbish lol :haha:
I started with a few bits like moving the red warning LED for the gun into the turret mg hole, wiring up that LED to the hull mg LED and filling the hole on the mantlet. Also correcting the angle of the commanders cupola.

My first go out on some rough ground;
I have cut out and moved the drivers vision port, made blackout covers for headlights, added wires for smoke launchers, added modded cupola mg from mid/late cupola fixing, added loaders periscope (maybe not accurate but I like it), attached tracks to turret, moved antenna to correct place, cut out a bung from air filter (Il put this in a later post), put mesh on the engine grills and extended outer barrel using a tipex pen and other pen lid for support ;D

In the last couple of weeks I have been doing some major(ish) renovations, including inner BB barrel now proper length (bbs dont just roll out or get stuck any more 8| ), metal suspension arm upgrade (thanks forgebear :thumbup: ) and a better speaker following reading FireflyKeith's topic on Cheap speaker upgrade;
Got two from ebay for £4.99, 8 ohm 2 watt, not amazing but much better than stock one!!
Also been opening up front hatches;
part of the reason being to have easy access to power and smoke gen switches;
I know my hatch holes are not perfect :{ lol
(Edit) forgot to mention the hinges for each hatch came from a 1/24 Ford Explorer front door hinge ;)

Got the other one done today;
but pulled out a leg of the hull mg LED in the process, doh!
That reminds me, the other thing I have been doing is replacing the mg LEDs for white ones with a hint of yellow paint for the proper colour. Plus coloured the headlights a little too.

Yeah so thats about it for now, just waiting for a few bits to dry, giving all a decent weathering using Ardennen's chipping and scratching method and a dark wash to dull it all down a little. I will probably have some good pics of finished(ish) tank up tomorrow or in next few days.
Hope you guys like this and my post isnt too rubbish lol :thumbup: Im ok with posetive criticism!!
Cheers,
Dave
Last edited by MarkofZollo on Mon May 23, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 9 times in total.
There is always a fifth Sherman
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Ambush Tiger #188

Post by [ICE]monkey »

youve been busy, nice mods ,did you get the soldering iron a bit to close to the turret ring ? :D
regards, ice
MarkofZollo
Corporal

Post by MarkofZollo »

Ah lol, that was a lighter, altered the ring to allow the turret to go 360.
:crazy:
mt 1
Staff Sergeant

Post by mt 1 »

nice mods to the tiger keep up the good work :thumbup:
MarkofZollo
Corporal

Post by MarkofZollo »

Had a great day out at a huge local park, it has been a bit hard to find nice places to take tanks!!
Hope you guys enjoy :D (hope lighting isnt too dull!)

Cheers,
Dave
Last edited by MarkofZollo on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex_Pat_Tanker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

Looks good - black and white pic's always make models look better for some reason :)
MarkofZollo
Corporal

Post by MarkofZollo »

I agree Ex_Pat_Tanker, altered some pics to see the effect

Cheers,
Dave
Last edited by MarkofZollo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkofZollo
Corporal

Post by MarkofZollo »

Recently I made a convoy light for the Tiger, thought Id show it being made.
Basically I used the red LED that had been the hull mg, drilled a hole around the right place and stuck it in. Then made a rectangle around it with plasticard, and placed some cut kitchen foil to reflect the light;

Then put the slats that create the appearance of different number of lights dependant on distance, also painted it;

Then wired it up to test;

Cost being around 5p I recon and half hour of work, what do you guys think?
Cheers
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

looks the part , good job , 5p beats the aftermarket prices ,plus you get the buzz of knowing you made it
regards, ice
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Really like your Tiger,paint scheme is very well done. One thing I noticed were you front hatches and how they were installed. Below is how I made steel rimmed hatches using Humbrol paint tins,they fit the inner hatch ring on the metal hatches perfect. Saxondoghttp://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/viewtopi ... rol#p50446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
removing tool and hatches,installing new hatches 004.JPG
removing tool and hatches,installing new hatches 004.JPG (251.13 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
removing tool and hatches,installing new hatches 005.JPG
removing tool and hatches,installing new hatches 005.JPG (244.54 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
removing tool and hatches,installing new hatches 006.JPG
removing tool and hatches,installing new hatches 006.JPG (254.47 KiB) Viewed 6797 times

Return to “Heng Long Builds”