HL Stug III

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
mike1268
Corporal

HL Stug III

Post by mike1268 »

I'm expecting delivery of my Stug III today. Bit excited so thought i would start this thread to keep track of my progress.

I've ordered a steel gearbox, metal sprockets/wheel to go with the metal tracks. Metal shockers and upgraded springs (just because they were cheap) and a metal machine gun with led just for the extra detail.

I expect the parts will turn up in the next 2 weeks as they coming from Aus. Will post picks as I work through this.

Anyone got any tips for stripping a HL Stug or PZ III down before I start. Any parts that can be easy damaged when taking to bits or things to watch out for?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: HL Stug III

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Get yourself a good track tensioner mate. I did not put one on my PzIII Schlepper & now regret it.
I have had a StuG III for ages, its next in line to begin after the Panther.
I have the tensioner and am not afraid to use it !!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
puramo
Lance Corporal

Post by puramo »

Stug great choice :D

you may want to use some superglue dissolver for removing parts
I found on my T-34 that the detail parts were very good
they were all snap fit and fitted very well indeed

but many items are fitted with steel screws with soft heads into softish plastic so go easy, use a well fitting driver and avoid over tightening, my 2c worth ;)
BC: I couldn't do that. Could you do that? Why can they do it? Who are those guys?
macman
Private

Post by macman »

I only had a minor issue with my Stug's, but both had the same issue - bought 2 years apart.

If you look straight on from the front, do the two front sections of bolt of armour run parallel? or is there a gap to left hand side. If there's a gap its more than likely due to the wiring for the headlight. The wiring leaves the hull and is bonded to the underside of the track deck. Either there's a blob of glue in the way or its the wires themselves stopping the upper and lower hulls coming together properly.
Axis -H/L Panzer III, H/L Panzer IV, H/L Stug III, H/L Stug III (Schurzen), H/L Panther, H/L Tiger 1(early and late) and a H/L King Tiger(Porsche)
Allies - WSN T-34/85, H/L KV-1, H/L Sherman and a scratch Cromwell(in progress)
(all 1/16th scale)
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by greengiant »

I only had one problem when I changed to lower ratio metal gearboxes on my Stug is that the gearboxes were ment to be used in something with rear drive sprockets which resulted in the forward and reverse being backward on the stock transmitter.
The only way to fix it was to open the transmitter up and reversing the placement of the wires on the control stick pot.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Enjoy that StuG! With a little preparation and some basic detailing, you will have a grand Tank-Killer for years to come. ;o)
regards,
painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Stugie_4
Recruit

Post by Stugie_4 »

Sweet as dude will be keeping an eye out for you posts as I should have my stug by yhe beginning of April
StuG III ,Panther,king tiger
Stugie_4
Recruit

Post by Stugie_4 »

Sweet as dude will be keeping an eye out for you posts as I should have my stug by yhe beginning of April
StuG III ,Panther,king tiger
mike1268
Corporal

Post by mike1268 »

So, this is the inside of the stug III. I couldnt find any pics of this anywhere else so here it is.

I'm having difficulty taking the recoil off at the moment, cant see how to remove it without braking it or unsoldering.

I want to change the recoil to a servo. Also turn the pivot mount upside down and mount it on a metal bracket with a single point to pivot on for traverse. Then remove the HL servo, cut the space tacken up by the box under the hatch out and fit a micro server for elevation. on the cupola side, fit another servo for traverse.

Hopefully will work. Now to figure out how to remove the recoil unit .....
puramo
Lance Corporal

Post by puramo »

Looks neat and simple in there,
sorry can't help with removing the parts, I Kept my electronics standard so far,
looking forward to the next step
BC: I couldn't do that. Could you do that? Why can they do it? Who are those guys?

Return to “Heng Long Builds”