Panzer IV Ausf F1 to H Build

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Panzer IV Ausf F1 to H Build

Post by KTRob »

Hello all,

Having been inspired by Philipat's excellent PZ IV build, I thought I would have a go at modding my HL DAk F1 to a ausf H.

I tend to lurk on the forum and not post much, but thought I would share this with you guys in the hope that it might be useful to others.

This is the tank I am basing mine on: Image

Panzer IV H Turret no 721, Panzer Lehr, Normandy 44

I sort of chose this by default as the decals I ordered are for this vehicle.

Unfortunately this is the only photo I can find online, although I can tell from the pic the vehicle had schurzen, zimmerit and a large collection of jerry cans!

I am part way through the rebuild so will post up photos of where I am up to.

Rob
You can never have too many tanks...... :D
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Panzer IV Ausf F1 to H Build

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Curious thing all those cans.
Surely they would only have been placed there for the march ?
Even a casually aimed .50BMG round would see flaming petrol running into every arpeture otherwise :O

Looks like its going to be an action packed build
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

The start: Image

This had a tk-01 board when I got it, I upgraded to Rx18, apart from that its as delivered.

First mod:

Lowered the return roller number 4:

Luckily these came off with some debonder and didn't break. I used plastic weld to reattach them.

Next job was to raise the front sprocket, I removed the transmission covers (lots of glue) and rotated them to allow the shaft to clear.

KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

Next mod was to lower the rear deck as detailed by Philipat in his build, I then proceeded to make a hash of cutting out the hatches and broke the surround, hence the styrene, one thing I will say Heng Long don't skimp on glue, I have used half a bottle of debonder!

Then cut the splash guard off (its at the wrong angle)
I just got the razor saw, I never used one but wish I bought one a long time ago, very neat cut.

Chopped the intake boxes to match the rear deck
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Rob, I always like to see a Panzer 4 build, there are are never enough, scrolling through the builds on the HENG LONG build site will point out the things that need your attention, which is why I shall keep my peace and enjoy your efforts. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: shaun
PS You do know that exacto also sell "KEYHOLE" saw blades don't you? Make a small hole with a pin vise then using the keyhole blade, open up the aperture you are trying for.
Last edited by jarndice on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Rob,
Great start! I will be following along. Mr. Bix, All of the cans in the front row are water containers. Still must be a march photo as you noted since the ones in the second row look like gasoline cans. None of that lot would stop a .50 cal round from the M2.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Herman Hi, I was wondering if this PZ4 was being used in the same role as your "schlepper" to take fuel up the line to those extremely thirsty Tigers but unlike the "schlepper" it can, once it has taken it's load to where it was needed take it's place at the sharp end, just a thought, but if it's going there anyway it has a better chance of success than an Opel Blitz soft skin. :thumbup: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

Next job was fitting some asiatam tensioners, I have seen on the forums these can break easy due to the thread section being pot metal.

On testing the heng long sprocket on the tensioner, I found it was useless!. The HL sprocket screw is replaced with the one included. Problem is when installed, if done up tight enough the idler is locked, slack it off and it quickly loosens and falls off.

Decided on a mod:

Carefully on low speed, drilled a 2.5mm hole in the arm: Image

Tapped out the hole to M3 for a grub screw, also cleaned threads for idler screw (swarf, etc.)

To fit the tensioner, the end is cut off the HL mount:

The other end is glued in and with some debonder and persuasion comes off:

Whats left:

Next a notch has to made for the protrusion on the tensioner, I guess this stops it spinning in the hole?

The idler arm slides in:

The idler bush from asiatam fits inside the HL bush:

Finished:

The screw holding the idler wheel is done up to a point of being tight but free enough to turn, then the grub screw is done up to lock it, while holding the idler screw to stop the setting moving.
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

reassembled for a test run, all works OK :thumbup:

By this point I had the hull glued up.
KTRob
Lance Corporal

Post by KTRob »

The HL metal suspension is truly awful, will have to mod it before reassembling the units:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”