heng long/taigen tiger build

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

heng long/taigen tiger build

Post by spongehoobtank82 »

hey guys just wanted to throw a few pictures of my tiger 1 late production (ish, I know the cupolas wrong but I cant remove it and I like the smoke/grenade launches!) heres what I started with after some assembly!
70.4.jpg
next I removed the feifel air cleanners and all plastic tools and got some mato metal ones, also some taigen zimmerit, am not 100% happy with the zimmerit its abit thick so may remove it in future or its a good excuse to build another early production tiger 1!
does anybody else have trouble getting the heng long upper hull to fit the taigen one? the weight of the turret and hinge plate/catch on the front seem to warp were the top hull front meets and the taigen lower hull seems to sag in the sides and not meet the upper hull, you can see the gap in some of my photos!
70.1.jpg
this was the result after the final top coat was added, I was going for a DAK/dessert yellow as you can see it came out a bit too yellow even with a black undercoat, managed to tone it down with some weathering-
70.3.jpg
my electronics install started out with standard heng long RX/Tx and an RX18 board but had previously upgraded the gearbox/motors to taigen 4-1's although may replace these with waltersons brass ones as you can get a 5-1 ratio with those, but there fine till I wreck them! since upgraded to a turnigy 9xr Tx and 9ch Rx and using an IBU2 control board, this setup is a bout 1million times better than the heng long stuff, I cant recommend it enough!
70.10.jpg
have now also installed a heng long smoker but its a bit crap so looking at getting a super smoker II at some point, also want to say a big thank you to the guys at RC tanks Australia ER9X tanker firmware is great!
70.jpg
70.jpg (78.97 KiB) Viewed 4655 times
tiger finished1 70 70.jpg
70.6.jpg
70.7.jpg
well its not really finished! I still need to add mud flaps more detailing (although am quite pround of the wood effect on the tool handles!
70.11.jpg
and all in all I think its still too yellow! but am pretty happy with it really and handles great with a real go anywhere feel and it ways a tonne! thinking about investing in lipo batteries as well, will post more as I modify and add the missing bits!
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
jeman
Corporal

Re: heng long/taigen tiger build

Post by jeman »

Great looking tank, well done. :)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Leigh, A couple of things about the cupola, first, removing it is a lot easier than you might think, any blade that will fit in the visor slits, NOT TOO TIGHT! insert the blade and lift until you feel resistance, DO NOT USE FORCE, now insert the blade in the opposite vision slit and do the same you should hear the glue cracking, after that gently work it loose, once it is off you will notice there is a ridge on the underside just above the hatch hinge, that must be ground off because the the cupola is fitted in the wrong position by the factory, the correct position is to think of the hatch hinge in the 8-20 position of a clock face, you should now have a vision slit facing forward and the handle of the hatch should be nearest to the side of the hull and the hinged side nearest to the centre of the hull, It is an easy fix and I am afraid it is a mistake found on most Tigers no matter who made it. As to the fitting of the late model cupola I am unable to offer help but I am sure many other good friends will put you right. good luck. shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Hey Shaun, cheers mate, just tried it and that worked! Unfortunately that now means I have to spend to spend more money on a new cupola! But I won't hold it against you ;-)
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Nice Job Sponge :thumbup: ....posting pictures and the tank :D

ALPHA
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

:thumbup: looks good :thumbup:
Maybe a tiny bit too yellow ? But it could also be the lighting? I would change to a late cupola, will complete the late tiger look, , great job!
Oh and that axe looks amazing , well done :thumbup:
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Cheers mark, yeah in bright light/sunshine I hate the colour but when its cloudy /darker it look great! Might just go with panzer grey next time!
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Thanks to your kind advice I have now changed to a late cupola, although I underestimated the work involved, cupola was easy to remove however your then left with a metal ring base plate that needs grinding off this took a while!
03000ea8.jpg
03000ea8.jpg (45.24 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
Now I attached the new cupola and some spare track links/holders while I was there
03000ea7.jpg
03000ea7.jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
Now i thought I would have ago at doing some weld bead with milliput also added/touched up some of the zimmerit
03000eb1.jpg
03000eb1.jpg (52.15 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
Now then I masked off, sprayed a black primer and then the top coat

03000ea9.jpg
03000ea9.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
03000eae.jpg
03000eae.jpg (56.42 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
The I sanded the edge of the over spray to blend in with old paint work, hopefully you cant tell I changed it!
03000ead.jpg
03000ead.jpg (40.83 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
03000eac.jpg
03000eac.jpg (59.08 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
03000eab.jpg
03000eab.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
Hopefully it all looks good! Also added an MG34 to the cupola and a front headlight, just need to add rear fenders now but am going to use brass to fabricate some hinges for those so will keep you all posted how that turns out!
Last edited by spongehoobtank82 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Sponge,
It is looking really good! ;o) Kudos!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It does look good, and before you start thinking about changing the paint do remember that the SAS had all their rovers painted PINK and they were pretty much invisible in the desert, I am wondering about the ventilator at the rear of the turret, I have always thought they were moved in the later Tiger 1 to a more central position on the roof but a lot of the modifications were carried out in a field workshop and if they did not have the time or the parts it would be done later. All I ask is you don't wear your nose out on the grindstone. :thumbup: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”