SAUNDERS D DAY INVADER ...M4a3 SHERMAN

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
ALPHA
Major-General

SAUNDERS D DAY INVADER ...M4a3 SHERMAN

Post by ALPHA »

Hello Gentlemen.... This is project SAUNDERS m4 SHERMAN...my contribution to Mcevoyi's proposed June 6th <(fixed..thanks PANTHER) group build
http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =1&t=12013
which I hope others will take part in
This is where I currently am... after receiving the HENG LONG from the devil's den that is MATO MART a couple days after Christmas
As many know by now... HENG LONG's SHERMAN is already an outstanding platform to build on or let stand alone much better than what other companies have to offer ... even Tamiya
Luckily I was privy to the acquisition of a resin TANKTOKO...three piece transmission cover
http://www.tanktoko-apeldoorn.nl/a-2967 ... r-3-delig/
which slipped on effortlessly after a little grinding of the gearbox cages
....I was actually surprised by the fit... even the hull panels lined up
I was also privy to the acquisition of a "FORCES OF VALOR" SHERMAN hull...relieving me of the task of modifying the HENG LONG's hull
To be honest... I was skeptical about the fit... as I've been told they have given other modellers some problems... but just like the transmission cover
fit perfectly on the HENG LONG with a resounding snap locking it in place.... just a little plastic removal (less than 1/16th of an inch) from the very top edge of the rear bulkhead was necessary to allow a perfect fit :D

The only drawbacks that I didn't like on the hull...is that there is a molded texture to it... molded on grime and fender damage ...sanded as much of the grime detail off.... primed it to see where I'm at.... and think right now she's ok :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdOJC0jVsEM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KEVOhRwFWQ
ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: SAUNDERS D DAY INVADER ...m4 SHERMAN

Post by ALPHA »

Just an added note.... the mods to the hull took less time than connecting and installing those dang MATO TRACKS >:< ............. :haha:

The fit was so good... it took less than two hours and little effort :D

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha,
It looks wonderful. I am glad to hear that the idea of using a FoV metal upper worked so well. Sassgrunt said it would and it opens up new possibilities for Sherman builds. The tracks look great and are worth the effort. Nice hatches with periscopes.! Definitely following this one.
Warm regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

It looks really good, Alpha! It's definitely going to have a different appearance with those extended driver's & RO's hoods and small hatches. I know that you have quite a bit of turret work planned for this, but the hull certainly is shaping up nicely already, and the three-piece transmission cover fits better than I would have thought it could. Thank you for posting the Tanktoko link, for others who might be interested. PM sent with a couple of thoughts. -Mike
cannedheat

Post by cannedheat »

one Is not amused, you cannot come up with a small hatched hull like yours without getting me one,this is not done old chap , :'(
you must for the sake of decency abandon this project immediately and pass the task on to me post haste if there was not a big puddle between you and I there may have been sabotage/theft attempts on this project, the bits you have will make a damm fine early IDF ,so find out how much to ship across the pond and do so forthwith ....... :clap: :thumbup:
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Hello Alpha

I am loving the build already ....i will watch and enjoy ...love the early hull top
I want one too ......have u a link ...so i can try to get my hands on one or two ?

Keep up the fab work ....its looking like a superb build !
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

:D Yeah where did you get that hull ALPHA? I want one too :D :thumbup:
Panther Ausf G
Corporal

Post by Panther Ausf G »

ALPHA. are you getting the date wrong? or are you going for the 4th of July? That was D-Day + 28.
I know whatever day you are doing it will be good. :thumbup:
Last edited by Panther Ausf G on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We do not stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

The upper hull came from a 1/16 Forces of Valor Sherman. These used to be a lot more expensive than you can find them now (link to one is attached): http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-FORCES-OF- ... 58a22daef1

The upper hull, turret, and tracks are metal, but everything else is plastic. I bought one for a Kelly's Heroes build, but only needed the running gear, tracks, and turret. The upper hull has sat around for about two years, until I heard about Alpha's project. So, I'm happy that it found a good home. -Mike
palepainter
Sergeant

Post by palepainter »

It is going to be great seeing all these different components coming together as one.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”