HL T34/85 Snowing in PRAVDA

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
ALPHA
Major-General

HL T34/85 Snowing in PRAVDA

Post by ALPHA »

Greetings gentlemen
Normally I don't have time to stop and take pictures when I'm in the process of building something...But this once because of all the great mentors here on the board..Dr. Phil ..fynsdad,,,dgsselkirk...Tomhugill...Panzer Ausf G....Painless..sassgrunt....Dragon254..Jarndice...to name a few
I've seen all of your work... and it has inspired me to push a little further

I give you KATYUSHIA 2...the build
:D

First the hatch had to be modified from the two part to the half moon

I did this by using a PANTHER inner bogie..rounding it with a drill till I achieved the correct diameter...then chopping up the dual hatches to retrieve the hinges

I used milliput to increase the thickness of the hatch till it was even with the plastic from the two piece hatch
thus the almost finished operating hatch...aluminum tape used to seal the headlight and as you can see I hinged the deck lid

I used RC airplane hinges.. the length of the segments were the same as those fitted on the tank... chose to do two and not the whole length...because there was no need to...I had to groove the deck lid to the hinges would sit just right... then cut two slots in the hull to accommodate the other half of the hinge...need to do more work on the inside ... and put some kind of screens on the lid so I didn't secure it down...then I will cut the remaining tabs off the inside and secure the hinges to the hull

as you can see the hinge segments look close to the molded ones

There you go Gentlemen :D

Enjoy :thumbup:

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
tomhugill
Captain

Re: HL T34/85 For the Mentors

Post by tomhugill »

Lovely work there alpha, looking forward to this one!!
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Great work Alpha, like the brass rails too.
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tomhugill wrote:Lovely work there alpha, looking forward to this one!!
Thanks Tom... it's nothing compared to your TIGER build... but I will try my best to meet the standard :D
ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

dgsselkirk wrote:Great work Alpha, like the brass rails too.
:haha: One thing for sure dgsselkirk... that tank has a lot of rails... didn't go with the plastic ones because of the length... I figured one false move and it's gone lol.. so brass was the best substitute... after doing two tanks... I regret not making a jig :haha:

Not sure why I milled out the vents in the engine lid...I don't want to use household screen for it... and the photo etch isn't available separately...hopefully I can come up with something suitable :crazy:

ALPHA
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Noy sure if you like mine or not but it is a splatter screen for covering a frying pan when you are cooking things like bacon. cost me a buck at the dollar store and I have got 3 T-34/85 screens out of it so far. I'm a cheap SOB when it comes to mods. :D
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (74.84 KiB) Viewed 4653 times
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

dgsselkirk wrote:Noy sure if you like mine or not but it is a splatter screen for covering a frying pan when you are cooking things like bacon. cost me a buck at the dollar store and I have got 3 T-34/85 screens out of it so far. I'm a cheap SOB when it comes to mods. :D
Yeah I did like those... I thought they were photo etch :O ...reason I thought someone sold them seperately :lolno:

Thanks dgsselkirk.. You know ... I had one... but threw it away awhile ago... never used it.. dang!!!! :-<
It's ok I'll find another :haha:

Thanks again :thumbup:

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Taking off at top speed on this one, Alpha. I love the mods to bring the tank in line with the show. Great job on the hatch work on both ends! Having fun watching you build it.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Morning,
Taking off at top speed on this one, Alpha. I love the mods to bring the tank in line with the show. Great job on the hatch work on both ends! Having fun watching you build it.
regards,
Painless
Hey Painless... Hoping for the best on this one....she really is a good looking and performing tank...I have to admit.. the hatch was a challenge..... I can draw a circle fine... fabricating one is a different story :haha: ....It was just by luck...that I had a baggie of spare Panther bogies...I sat there... shook them around for awhile... and a dim light began to glow :haha: ...squinting one eye... said to myself... that there is a hatch!!!! :crazy:
I have to say though I am very impressed with this 2nd Gen HENG LONG....I wouldn't know if they realized that there isn't much out there as far as accessories go...but they did an outstanding job with the "little things"...I especially like the grade of the plastic... when I cut the grills out ,,,,I thought the ribs were going to snap off...the only thing I miss on those ...is the bolt detail that the WSN has... but that's minor ... because I feel they have more that redeemed themselves by having mostly every hatch operational... and the adjustment in the way it sits

How's this for a crazy thought.... I was going to build a half mock up of the fan /air cleaner/ exhaust system to fit above the gearboxes... and below the hull :haha:

That's the kind of Inspiration you all have instilled in me...I just hope I don't disappoint anyone ;)

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Sorry guys... didn't get much done today...went searching for a nice spatter screen... couldn't find one as nice as dgsselkirk's :'( ...So I went with what I used for my JAGDPANTHER...here's the result ...be kind :{

the spatter screens I found had a similar pattern... but seemed off scale..probably more suitable for 1/35th scale models.. This stuff is from a pen/pencil holder .. I changed the pattern by hammering a couple of them... and staggered them on the installation
I then went on to finish the engine compartment and securing the deck lid to the upper hull

after some research found the T34 had heat control louvers covering the fan/exhaust / air filters...so I recreated that...synchronized them by fabricating a linkage so both will operate at the same time....tried to link it to the opening and closing of the drivers hatch... but the mechanical linkage proved to be too long.. so there was too much flex in the opperation...so I will probably attach it to a mini servo...later ;)

That's it for now... sorry dgsselkirk.... my grates don't look as nice as yours... but at least I got them done :thumbup:

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”